Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S box?  (Read 8335 times)

Offline (((KB)))

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: M/S box?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 10:15:29 PM »

WOW, that sonic orbit looks nice! T+

-K

EDIT: for $388? I'd go buy a MP2 instead.

Yep,
I mentioned it was expensive. Sure looks nice though eh? That company builds soluitons for the eng/efp market and the stuff is priced for that market.  Of course, if you price out building a M/S matrix w/ Jensens (and pay someone skilled to put it together) it could get costly in a hurry.  Anyway, that particular product may not your best solution, but extracting l/r from m/s after the pre has some advantages. (split to different recorders and gives you contol over the stereo field)  I have an MP2. I like it and the M/S feature is well implemented but I know that as a pre it is not everyones favorite "flavor".  Building the box allows you do add M/S decode to what ever flavor you like.  I was not aware that they could be had in the 300$ range used.  It is a very well built unit and the Sound Devices folks are really nice.  ...just don't look at the meter in the dark.
Celac.

I agree, that was pretty nice.

I spoke to my friend Nick Z. and he's intregued by the whole original concept that Chris mentioned. However, I was wrong about the price... 4 "8379's" are needed so that increases project cost tremendously. It's more like...
8379 Mid-Side Microphone Decoder 31.16 (x4) 124.64
Neutrik NC3FPP XLR Panel Mount 1.20 (x2) 2.40
Neutrik NC3MPP XLR Panel Mount 1.20 (x2) 2.40
Hammond 1591DSBK Styrene Plastic Case $5.42

$134.86

OUCH

Since I raised the concept to him(Nick) and I have an extra DMIC-20, we may attempt to tackle a M/S mod to the existing Pre as a headphone monitoring option. Meaning, you will have the decoded M/S through a custom added headphone out, but not through the main digital out. This will allow to actually hear the audio in M/S, but the master will have to be done in post.  ;D WOW... what a concept! Can't take credit myself, but that's what we're tossing around.  If worst comes to worst and it doesn't work, atleast I'll have a headphone pre on my DMIC-20. From what I hear it will be pretty easy, but making the time for him to do it is another story. So, I guess at tis point, unless I want to track someone down that wants to part w/ a MP-2, I'm stuck w/ doin' M/S in post.

-K
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline Celac

• Taperssection Newbie
  • ...enough with the bits already,
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:39 AM »

I spoke to my friend Nick Z. and he's intregued by the whole original concept that Chris mentioned. However, I was wrong about the price... 4 "8379's" are needed so that increases project cost tremendously. It's more like...

$134.86

OUCH

Since I raised the concept to him(Nick) and I have an extra DMIC-20, we may attempt to tackle a M/S mod to the existing Pre as a headphone monitoring option. Meaning, you will have the decoded M/S through a custom added headphone out, but not through the main digital out. This will allow to actually hear the audio in M/S, but the master will have to be done in post.  ;D WOW... what a concept! Can't take credit myself, but that's what we're tossing around.  If worst comes to worst and it doesn't work, atleast I'll have a headphone pre on my DMIC-20. From what I hear it will be pretty easy, but making the time for him to do it is another story. So, I guess at tis point, unless I want to track someone down that wants to part w/ a MP-2, I'm stuck w/ doin' M/S in post.

-K

Yes,
Monitor in stereo, record M/S, which is of course an option w/ the MP2. Sounds like you need an MP2 :)  FWIW it seems to me that decoding to stereo in post is actually the best option.  It gives you the best control over adjusting the soundfield (much better monitoring situation) plus there are some cool things you can do in M/S. (e.g., you can apply compression and EQ differentially to the "S" information to deal with nasty room sounds)  ...sounds like a pretty cool(and useful) mod for the DMIC also, good luck with the surgury.
Celac.
...can't get enough of nothing!

Did your friend consider that maybe he got a basically accurate recording of a bad P.A. system and/or a terrible-sounding performance venue? When you aim good microphones at ugly sound, the resulting recording will not be beautiful.
DSatz

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 11:41:55 AM »

WOW, that sonic orbit looks nice! T+

-K

EDIT: for $388? I'd go buy a MP2 instead.

Yep,
I mentioned it was expensive. Sure looks nice though eh? That company builds soluitons for the eng/efp market and the stuff is priced for that market.  Of course, if you price out building a M/S matrix w/ Jensens (and pay someone skilled to put it together) it could get costly in a hurry.  Anyway, that particular product may not your best solution, but extracting l/r from m/s after the pre has some advantages. (split to different recorders and gives you contol over the stereo field)  I have an MP2. I like it and the M/S feature is well implemented but I know that as a pre it is not everyones favorite "flavor".  Building the box allows you do add M/S decode to what ever flavor you like.  I was not aware that they could be had in the 300$ range used.  It is a very well built unit and the Sound Devices folks are really nice.  ...just don't look at the meter in the dark.
Celac.

$134.86

OUCH

-K

Let us know how things work out!

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 10:58:06 AM »

$134.86

OUCH

-K

Yes,
Monitor in stereo, record M/S, which is of course an option w/ the MP2. Sounds like you need an MP2 :)  FWIW it seems to me that decoding to stereo in post is actually the best option.  It gives you the best control over adjusting the soundfield (much better monitoring situation) plus there are some cool things you can do in M/S. (e.g., you can apply compression and EQ differentially to the "S" information to deal with nasty room sounds)  ...sounds like a pretty cool(and useful) mod for the DMIC also, good luck with the surgury.
Celac.

It may be re-inventing the wheel but It also sounds like an exciting project.

Besides, if no one tried to re-invent the wheel we'd never have gotten these:
@rowj | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
Superlux SMK-H8K/H/U > KindKables Black Stealths > Busman T-Mod FR2LE

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 04:41:05 PM »
The project box might get off the ground next week, just have to order the parts pretty much now.

-K
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com