Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hot on the heels of the KM18xD comes the CMD2U  (Read 8957 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Hot on the heels of the KM18xD comes the CMD2U
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 05:11:29 AM »
sorry if i should have posted this somewhere else - but for the KN18xD - would it be possible to run 2 of these (i.e. stereo) into a digitial recorder w/ no PC interface?

Yes and no.

If the digital recorder has proper AES42 inputs, then the answer is "yes you can" - but these don't exist yet.

You can certainly run two into a recorder without a PC, but you would need the DMI--2 interface to clock the two microphones to the same clock time (you do not have to use a PC as the last settings are saved in the microphones - just make sure you set them before you go).

I would guess you could run two microphones with two of the connection kits to a recorder that has two AES/EBU or two S/PDIF inputs; but the recorder would have to do the clocking.

Mention has been made to Neumann about doing a battery portable stereo connection kit that will lock both microphones to the same clock time.

I hope this helps.

I was recording all last week with a pair of the KM 183-D into a Fostex FR-2 via the DMI-2 and it went very well.  We were amazed how quiet (self noise) they are - every thime we listened to a take we kept wondering if it was working - until the music started

Offline ingsy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 06:08:45 AM »
sorry if i should have posted this somewhere else - but for the KN18xD - would it be possible to run 2 of these (i.e. stereo) into a digitial recorder w/ no PC interface?

Yes and no.
If the digital recorder has proper AES42 inputs, then the answer is "yes you can" - but these don't exist yet.
You can certainly run two into a recorder without a PC, but you would need the DMI--2 interface to clock the two microphones to the same clock time (you do not have to use a PC as the last settings are saved in the microphones - just make sure you set them before you go).
I would guess you could run two microphones with two of the connection kits to a recorder that has two AES/EBU or two S/PDIF inputs; but the recorder would have to do the clocking.
Mention has been made to Neumann about doing a battery portable stereo connection kit that will lock both microphones to the same clock time.
I hope this helps.
I was recording all last week with a pair of the KM 183-D into a Fostex FR-2 via the DMI-2 and it went very well.  We were amazed how quiet (self noise) they are - every thime we listened to a take we kept wondering if it was working - until the music started

thanks for the info.  since the dmi-2 doesn't appear to be battery powerable, and no recorders currently exist w/ proper AES42 inputs, then this solution doesn't seem ready for the typical recordings most of us do here (i.e. stereo w/ no plug in power).  i don't know of any recorder w/ 2 S/PDIF inputs.  lets hope they build that battery portable stereo connection kit.  thanks again. 
Mics: AKG C 414 B-XL II/ST, Nevaton MCE 400
Other: M148, AD-500e, AD-1000, ACM PMD 660, R09-HR, JB3

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 09:37:58 AM »
  i don't know of any recorder w/ 2 S/PDIF inputs.   

There's one coming next year (well, two AES/EBU inputs I understand).  ;)

I'm going to get one as soon as it's available.  ;D

Euro launch will be the AES in Wien (Vienna) in May '07 and whatever the American show is just before that date (NAMM?).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com