Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic AG-DVX100B....?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Panasonic AG-DVX100B....?
« on: December 26, 2006, 04:52:18 PM »
Anybody have experience with this unit?

I was chatting with some guys at work, trying to find a video camera to borrow for the moe.cruise, and jokingly mentioned to one guy that he should buy one from Costco for me to use. Well, he comes into work the other day and says he bought the best one that Costco offers online, the Panasonic AG-DVX100B. $3500!  :o Said he'll just take it back when I get home.

Anyway, this is gonna be a crash course in video for me. I'm gonna need any advice/info I can pick up in the next few days.

Off the top of my head.... The unit has XLR inputs that can do line or mic. Wondering if I should use these at all to save battery and be more discrete. I'm trying to figure out if I can sync it with a SD 744t.

Input would be greatly appreciated!

-ba

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Panasonic AG-DVX100B....?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »
Panasonic cameras usually have excellent (for a camera) audio features and more than adequate audio quality.  I'd try the getting to know how to use with directly attached externally powered microphones for having the most fun, and far less work in post.   
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:47:34 PM »
That is a field-proven, kick-ass standard def video camera that has footage that makes national TV and documentaries on a regular basis. It's lost a little of its sexiness in the midst of the HDTV hype, but that camera is a highly capable awesome videocam. It can shoot in 24p too if you want more of a film look. If you're a taper, I seriously would just run double-sound for the gigs themeselves and sync later -- it is a PITA, but it's do-able too once you get the hang of it (you have to sync the head, and then stretch or compress the video near the end to fix any drift so the tails sync, and once you're rollin', don't start/stop cause each pause becomes another sync point in post). That said, you could easily feed the DVX a signal straight to it's XLRs -- it'll be 16/48 and run through the DVX's preamps (line-in is simply a pad before the pres I believe) -- not bad, but the 744 will make a better recording and then you don't have to be tethered with the DVX. Also, the DVX doesn't have true timecode, so you won't be able to jam sync to the 744t, which is too bad. However, that is an amazing camera for standard def. The main alternative in that space would be an XL2 which can also do 24p and has a longer lens (good for concerts) and does true 16:9 I think, but it doesn't look as much like film as the DVX does.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 08:49:51 PM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 12:26:55 PM »
I own a DVX100b and yes, it's one of the best standard-def cameras out now and the model itself (DVX100) has been a workhorse of the industry for a few years now.  If you have the option, I would still suggest running the 744 just because it's a specialty audio device and the DVX isn't as friendly on audio meters and control.  Not only that but the pres on the 744 are probably better than the DVX.  Your advantage to running XLRs into the DVX would be perfect sync audio with the video without messing with it in post.

BayTaynt3d: One thing I'm curious about is your comment on the DVX not having "true timecode" ?

I'll second BayTaynt3d's comment also on the limitation of the DVX's lens... at 10x Optical it's not ideal for concerts.

I've got some 3cam/sbd mix I've done with 3x DVX cameras that I'll post here tonight so you can get an idea (compressed video meh) of what to expect from a DVX at a show.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:57:42 PM »
BayTaynt3d: One thing I'm curious about is your comment on the DVX not having "true timecode" ?

As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, there is a way to sync two+ DVX100B's using a built-in non-standard method (and I think you can even do that with an A and a B), but people have experienced problems with that technique that supposedly should work. Prior to the B model, people were using one remote to start two different A models free-run timecode at the same time -- which helps, but is not perfect either cause they will drift. The only way that I know of to get real jammed timecode on a DVX that can be used for automatic post-sync is by running timecode AUDIO into one of the audio channels on the DVX, and then you need an NLE that can "hear" the timecode on the audio channel in post. Compare this to what you could do with a 744t and a broadcast camera that can jam timcode. You could jam timecode between the camera and the 744t, and at least for a while, they will hold pretty good sync that can be relied on in post -- or you could tether the camera to the 744t to keep perfect timecode (I think). The timecode should be stamped into the audio file from the 744 (the 744t can do BWF files with timecode headers can't it?), and the timecode would also be available on the video (without the clunky audio timecode workflow and hassles, not to mention you wouldn't lose an audio channel to timecode). Do you ever frequent the DVXUser.com forums? If not, you should!  :)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 01:09:42 PM »
Maybe I should clarify something. Even my own GS400 consumer cam has "timecode" when I capture, and I can save a capture list based on each tape's timecode and things like that, but that doesn't mean I can sync or jam my timecode to other devices, that's a WHOLE OTHER thing altogether.

Offline John Kary

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 11:20:15 AM »

Do you ever frequent the DVXUser.com forums? If not, you should!  :)

I drop by DVXUser when I have the time but don't post too often.  There's a lot of good info and knowledgeable people on that board.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:03:37 PM by kukyfrope »

Offline wilsonedits

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 12:57:56 AM »
it is an amazing camera.... 24p looks way cooler than HD thats done with under 5,000 HD cams IMO....  I learned my lesson the hard way buying a cheap HD cam
and since i got my dvx have never been more happy with a purchase...  for concert shooting nothing beats in low light nothing beats it...... amazing the how the video looks.... hoping to buy another one in the near future

i used mine alot the last three days filming a bands new years eve run of shows....... if you have any questions at all about settings send me a pm ..... and I ehco dvxuser.com great site
P2 yo

Offline winisp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »
baustin,

Did you pull any video at the Moe cruise?  What was your mic setup (2 channel mic, 2 sbd?).

AKG 481/3 > Dogstar XLR > MiniMe > Laptop
www.thanksthanksalot.com
www.uprecords.com
Why do I have negative tickets? Because JCrabb is loser!!! Just ask his ex-wifey :)  Share the music JCrabb!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com