Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreens for Schoeps CCM4's  (Read 10500 times)

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Windscreens for Schoeps CCM4's
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »
thanks all,as much as i'd like to buy the W5D's i'll try the DPA and save 150 bucks
do yourself a favor and get the Shure a81ws. the DPAs will fail you.

i think the DPAs are much more versatile than the shures - def much more of a sonic impact with the Shures IMO. I've only needed the shures in a few situations where the wind is really really gusting. YMMV

ideally it would be nice to have a pair of each but i use my DPAs at least 20x more than the shures
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »
I recomend the schoeps B5 D.I ran those DPA's outdoors plenty of times and they are fine as long as there's no wind really.I found that the schoeps B5 D's are much better than the DPA's if there's any wind involved.I run a pair of B5's for indoor stuff.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
go with the shures.  i run mk4/21's on kwon bars and they fit just fine.

agreed, the big-ass shures fit my mbho caps/kwon bar active setup just fine. and these are THE BOMB in bigger wind storms. I have NEVER heard wind noise/rumble since buying them many years ago. Ive honestly recorded prolly 150-200 sets outdoors using them and they have been rock solid EVERYTIME. now phasing is another issue. when i sometimes use hypers outdoors with them, i get a TINY bit of phasing at times, but that sure beats the hell out of wind noise/rumble :)

and I also have the bigger dpa's and used them outdoors back in 2001/2002 and they work ALRIGHT, but as soon as you get a huge gust of wind, they dont work too well. I just use my DPA screens for indoor shows and for transporting my MBHO caps+Kwon Bar setup thats already connected and ready to roll 8)

so if you have the $$, id get both the shures AND the bigger DPA screens, thatw ay you'll be covered for indoor and outdoor shows and the cost of both pairs is prolly stiull cheaper than the Schoeps big-ass screens :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 06:59:21 PM »
I'm getting the impression that some people here don't quite realize the severity of the problem, and why the Schoeps B 5 D was recommended specifically. From the outside, the B 5 D looks much like a simple teardrop-shaped windscreen such as the Schoeps B 5 or some other models which were suggested.

On the inside, the B 5 D is hollowed out between where the capsule fits and the outside surface. This isolates a volume of air around the capsule, including both the front and side/rear sound inlets of a pressure gradient (directional) capsule. As a result, it's far more effective in suppressing wind noise, but doesn't interfere with the microphone's directional pattern or high frequency response as much, as a conventional windscreen.

There's a corresponding difference between the spherical foam windscreens W 5 D and W 5, which of course are somewhat larger, and keep the air turbulence farther away from the capsule membrane.

Unfortunately these "D"-model windscreens are more expensive to manufacture than their simpler counterparts. I definitely wish that high-quality accessories could cost less than they do, but the inexpensive ones just don't work very well when they're needed most.

--best regards
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:12:32 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »
thanks all,as much as i'd like to buy the W5D's i'll try the DPA and save 150 bucks
do yourself a favor and get the Shure a81ws. the DPAs will fail you.

i think the DPAs are much more versatile than the shures - def much more of a sonic impact with the Shures IMO. I've only needed the shures in a few situations where the wind is really really gusting. YMMV

ideally it would be nice to have a pair of each but i use my DPAs at least 20x more than the shures

why risk it tho? its not like when you feel a huge gust of wind, you can say 'Hold on wind, let me put on my bigger windscreens' :) thje big-ass shures can fit onto my mbho/kwon bar setup and have a dual purpose. they save my recordings from wind noise and also, they help protect the capsules while theyre on the kwon bar in my portabrace setup. i can fit the shures just fine if I know im doing an outdoor show :)

If you ONLY can afford ONE PAIR, id get the big-ass shures without hesitation and thank yourself later. when you have a little extra $$$, get the bigger DPA's for recording indoors :) I personally ahve ran screens even indoors in nice places. they are protection for the mics, plain and simple. they protect the mics/capsules from smoke and what if your stand goes down? BAM, no more capsules or mics :'( so they have 2 purposes, even indoors, they stop wind inside(fans/AC) and act as protection in the PB bag setup.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 07:06:08 PM »
I'm seeing the suggestions for cheap substitutes and am getting the impression that some people here don't realize why the Schoeps B 5 D was recommended rather than the B 5 or any other simple windscreen. One problem is that they look so similar from the outside.

On the inside, though, the B 5 D is hollowed out between where the capsule fits and the outside surface. This isolates a volume of air around the capsule, including both the front and side/rear sound inlets of a pressure gradient (directional) capsule. As a result, it's far more effective in suppressing wind noise, but doesn't interfere with the microphone's directional pattern or high frequency response as much, as a conventional windscreen.

There's a corresponding difference between the spherical foam windscreens W 5 D and W 5, which of course are somewhat larger, and keep the air turbulence farther away from the capsule membrane.

Unfortunately these windscreens are more expensive to manufacture than their simpler counterparts. I definitely wish that high-quality accessories could cost less than they do, but the inexpensive ones just don't work very well when they're needed most. I know I didn't buy good microphones just to have my recordings ruined by problems that I could have avoided easily enough.

--best regards
exactly why i bought the W5Ds. after buying $3500 microphones, i couldn't let another $180 keep me from sufficient wind protection.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 09:11:14 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,88906.0.html
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 09:54:20 AM »
I have the B5D's.  They don't cut it in windy conditions.  go with the shures.  I use the B5D's in no to very light wind outside, or inside if there is noticeable air movement from fans, HVAC, etc.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »
I have the B5D's.  They don't cut it in windy conditions.  go with the shures.  I use the B5D's in no to very light wind outside, or inside if there is noticeable air movement from fans, HVAC, etc.
fyi, there is a company on ebay, windcutter, that makes custom dead rats with elastic around the openings for nice tight fits. they made me a pair for my B5Ds and they fit perfect. i have yet to test them out, as i bought the W5Ds around the same time. i have a feeling that a dead rat over the B5Ds will make them sufficient in most situations.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 12:42:17 PM »
I'm getting the impression that some people here don't quite realize the severity of the problem, and why the Schoeps B 5 D was recommended specifically. From the outside, the B 5 D looks much like a simple teardrop-shaped windscreen such as the Schoeps B 5 or some other models which were suggested.

On the inside, the B 5 D is hollowed out between where the capsule fits and the outside surface. This isolates a volume of air around the capsule, including both the front and side/rear sound inlets of a pressure gradient (directional) capsule. As a result, it's far more effective in suppressing wind noise, but doesn't interfere with the microphone's directional pattern or high frequency response as much, as a conventional windscreen.

Unfortunately these "D"-model windscreens are more expensive to manufacture than their simpler counterparts. I definitely wish that high-quality accessories could cost less than they do, but the inexpensive ones just don't work very well when they're needed most.

--best regards

<Has sinking feeling after just taking delivery on the Shures>
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »
fyi, the Shures use 2 (maybe 3) densities of foam.  they have a very "coarse"/"open" celled foam around the capsule to create a volume of airspace, much like the Schoeps B5D's plastic cage.  same idea.  these really are great windscreens.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 03:50:54 PM »
For my Schoeps, I use the Schoeps B1 screen for all indoor recording (smoke protection). I leave the caps (connected to actives) in these screens for storage, and then the they are placed into a plastic film container (perfect fit)! The next step up for me is the standard Schoeps B5 screen for no wind but outdoors! On a windy day, I always reach for the Shures and they have never let me down. I would like to add the B5D, but I really see no reason as I have all of the bases covered.
Just my $0.02...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 03:54:54 PM by bkirby »

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
i just bought the Shure's. i'll let know how they work out for me.
thanks again all
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »
i just bought the Shure's. i'll let know how they work out for me.
thanks again all

you'll love them. a great pair of screens are often over-looked at saving a few bucks and getting a cheaper pair. but there is a reason you dont see many big-ass shures FS in the YS here at ts.com, its because they freakin rock and noone wants to get rid of them if they tape even once outside a year. Theyre worth EVERY penny and for the price, is a KILLER deal IMO. doesnt get any better for SD's without spending MUCH more on a rycote or the like. You wont be disappointed. Like I have said before. on shows where the wind is REALLY blowing and im SURE I will hear it on the tape later oin, I am amazed everytime that there is no wind noise/rumble and if anything, just a little phasing at worst :)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 05:55:54 PM »
fyi, the Shures use 2 (maybe 3) densities of foam.  they have a very "coarse"/"open" celled foam around the capsule to create a volume of airspace, much like the Schoeps B5D's plastic cage.  same idea.  these really are great windscreens.

Feeling better already.  I will be trying them tomorrow at a "bridge festival."  Yeah, not much going on out here on the coast.   LOL
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com