Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rechargeable batteries and Chargers  (Read 2205 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Rechargeable batteries and Chargers
« on: December 26, 2009, 01:18:21 AM »
I got some rechargeable 9V's for Christmas:

http://tiny.cc/npJaC

And a charger too:

http://tiny.cc/ya7lI

I know that this charger indicates completion of the "Rapid Charge" phase by having the LED switch from red to green, and I understand that from that point, it will trickle charge the batteries.  Question is, what is trickle charge, how long does it take, and how can I be sure that the batteries are truly fully charged before I take them into the field? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 01:42:02 AM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
Re: Rechargeable batteries and Chargers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »
Question is, what is trickle charge, how long does it take, and how can I be sure that the batteries are truly fully charged before I take them into the field?

Hey-

My understanding of trickle charge is it just replaces what the battery loses on it's own.  So if a battery looses 2% of it's charge over a day or two a trickle charge just maintains the full charge.  So basically, when your rapid charger switches to green, you're 100% charged and ready to go.  A trickle charge doesn't add more capacity to your battery- it just keeps it fully charged.

If you want to verify the charge grab yourself a battery meter.    Also, an added side-benefit-chicks go nuts when they see a man checking voltage...   ;)
FREE JERRYFREAK!

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »
I was doing some battery research over the holiday myself.  I'm gonna start a new thread on a specific issue with rechargeables that people need to be aware of, but trickle charge is simply the charge to keep the batteries topped off.  However, the best purpose for trickle charge is to keep your batteries in peak shape when they're not in use.  You can leave your batteries in the charger 100% of the time and trickle charge will keep them in optimal performance condition...IOW you can leave them on trickle for a year and the batteries will still be good as new.  The reason is that the trickle charge keeps the chemicals inside the battery optimal for battery performance  This of course assumes that the trickle charge is the proper voltage for the batteries, so since your charger is specifically designed for these batteries, I think you're good!

EDIT: Above discussion on trickle charge is applicable to SLA batteries.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:13:37 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:08:06 AM »
trickle charging can seriously damage NiMH batteries.  Do not leave them in the charger for prolonged periods.  I would rather see someone cycle charge (refresh-drain/charge) for long periods than trickle charge....

Radid charging is also not the best way to get your batteries to full capacity...  Slow chargers, or smart charges are the way to go.  My LaCross Charger might take 24 hours to properly charge 4 AA 2700mAh's, but I am sure they are at capacity when it is done...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »
trickle charging can seriously damage NiMH batteries.  Do not leave them in the charger for prolonged periods.  I would rather see someone cycle charge (refresh-drain/charge) for long periods than trickle charge....

Radid charging is also not the best way to get your batteries to full capacity...  Slow chargers, or smart charges are the way to go.  My LaCross Charger might take 24 hours to properly charge 4 AA 2700mAh's, but I am sure they are at capacity when it is done...

Thanks for the correction Murph.  I did revise my earlier message to say that the trickle charge concept works for SLAs. 

I also did read that slow charging is a better method of charging batteries.  By slow the guideline that I read said the rule of thumb is overnight.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com