Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 114454 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 06:50:54 AM »
.....tough being dad of 4 yr old twins...and wanting to go out tape everything

it's amazing you can go out at all!  Welcome to the club, you'll love the m-10!  :)
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 01:49:12 PM »
Nice price for the m10, gd420mj!

Record your twins and listen to it while you're at work or in a few months. You will be able to hear how much they have grown up and how fast they learn.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
So far I have recorded 3 gigs with the PCM M10 and the thing is flawless. It absolutely works perfect .
I decided to leave the backlight on at all times . That way I can always check the recorder is still running . Using rechargable batteries it doesn't matter . Using GP recyko batteries the unit lasts about 22 hours in recording mode on 96/24 .
And I also decided to take no chance and record in the highest mode. When I used the HI MD or even the DAT years before that , buying media has always been expensive . So the extra GB I use now on storage is nothing compared to what I used to pay .

Line out could be a little louder though when connected to a hifi set up . I have always find portable units are never as loud ( for lack of the better word ) as a regular non portable unit .
Maybe someone can explain that . And yes , I have switched it to line out .

Thanks again for the persons who were nice enough to help me out when I needed the answers fast !!
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 05:32:59 PM »
"I decided to leave the backlight on at all times . That way I can always check the recorder is still running ."

Even if you let the backlight time out, the little red recording  light will stay on (unless you deliberately turn off all lights) on both the unit and the remote. So you can see that you're you're still going without drawing too much.....attention.

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 08:46:51 AM »
tough being dad of 4 yr old twins...and wanting to go out tape everything
  Heh, teach them how to use it!  It's never too early to learn how to be a recording engineer.  These days kids pick up tech stuff so fast.

And as someone mentioned above, recording the kids can be great for replay in future years.  I have a few of mine from that kind of age - and now they are in their mid 30's. 

It's also good to get out on your own sometimes...!

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »
2 questions :

it seems that after setting on Memory Card, the device sometimes turns to internal memory again after switching off! It happened once already. am i missing something or have others had this?

secondly, i seem to recall the during recording there was a time stamp indicating how long the recoding has been going. It doesnt seem to be any where now. Any ideas?

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »
secondly, i seem to recall the during recording there was a time stamp indicating how long the recoding has been going. It doesnt seem to be any where now. Any ideas?

Does the display button toggle between the different options for how that displays?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline pool

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
oh found it thanks
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:10:40 PM by pool »

Offline Redrock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
As stated somewhere in the prior sections of this thread, my only-used-once M-10 ran hotter on the left channel too.
2015 Shows: Southern Soul Assembly, Ed Kowalczyk, NMO, Lukas Nelson, Los Lonely Boys, Chris Isaak, Ben Harper, Mark Knoplfer, Carbon Leaf. . .

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
I love my m10s so much I have 2 and and I'm buying a 3rd white one for use for my 3rd rig. Rock solid as hell, so far "knocks on wood"
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 11:49:23 AM »
As stated somewhere in the prior sections of this thread, my only-used-once M-10 ran hotter on the left channel too.

It is important to include specifics in a comment like this.  Do you mean the internal mics, or the inputs?

I haven't bothered to measure the internal mics, but my m10 line-in is Extremely closely matched.

Offline Redrock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 01:09:04 PM »

It is important to include specifics in a comment like this.  Do you mean the internal mics, or the inputs?

I haven't bothered to measure the internal mics, but my m10 line-in is Extremely closely matched.

Sorry, I was reffering to the internal mics as have the others.
2015 Shows: Southern Soul Assembly, Ed Kowalczyk, NMO, Lukas Nelson, Los Lonely Boys, Chris Isaak, Ben Harper, Mark Knoplfer, Carbon Leaf. . .

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
questions :

it seems that after setting on Memory Card, the device sometimes turns to internal memory again after switching off! It happened once already. am i missing something or have others had this?

Turning mine off and on still keeps the Record to Memory Card setting. However, if you connect to the computer--to upload, etc.--it will default back to internal memory. It's easy to check on the display itself. Either the memory card is shown above the battery indicator (for using the card) or nothing is (internal memory).

Offline celtic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
Recorded my first gig with my new sony m10 last night.

Settings as follows:

Rec Level: Manual
Mic Sens: Low
DPC(Speed CTRL) : Off
Record Level: 5
Line In
Low Cut Filter: Off
Limiter:Off
Plug-in Power: Off

I was recording a rock band in a small theatre. Position front of Board. The recording came out pretty good, but there is a "hiss" throughout the whole recording. I was using Church CA14 Card mics - Church Battery box - Line In-M10. Any idea what might have caused the hiss. Should I have used "Mic-In" rather than "Line-In"?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 01:19:57 PM »
Recorded my first gig with my new sony m10 last night.

Settings as follows:

Rec Level: Manual
Mic Sens: Low
DPC(Speed CTRL) : Off
Record Level: 5
Line In
Low Cut Filter: Off
Limiter:Off
Plug-in Power: Off

I was recording a rock band in a small theatre. Position front of Board. The recording came out pretty good, but there is a "hiss" throughout the whole recording. I was using Church CA14 Card mics - Church Battery box - Line In-M10. Any idea what might have caused the hiss. Should I have used "Mic-In" rather than "Line-In"?

What bit depth did you record at? 24 or 16?
Where were your peak levels? Did you tickle the greens (-12db) or was it all lower.

One cause of noise is not recording a hot enough signal, when you amplify the recording in post you can raise the noise as well. With 24 bit recording and peak levels between -12db and -6 db you have enough dynamic range to render to 44/16 (cd quality) without boosting your noise floor.

My first M10 recording (internal mics) was done with levels that barely went higher than -20db. The recording sounds ok (not great), but you can hear the noise.

Steve
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com