Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity Adds Real-Time Preview of effects  (Read 9602 times)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audacity Adds Real-Time Preview of effects
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »
So what's the consensus on what's a good EQ plugin for Audacity? I checked out one but would like to further this discussion what people like most,
TYIA!

Yep, I'm still interested in this as well!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
For applying light EQ, my goto is TDR SlickEQ. Free and extremely clean to my ears. If you read up on the technology behind any/all of the TDR plugins (all are free, and also have "gentlemen's editions" which are inexpensive w/ some added bells/whistles), they seem to value transparency and a lack of distortion above all else in their work. They also provide great users manuals laying out not only how to use the stuff, but the logic and some of the math/theory behind it. These guys are legit. I also checked around other forums and their team of developers and plugins seem highly regarded, in terms of clean sound and no artifacts if that's what you're aiming for.
The slick EQ is really only three-bands (3.5 if you include the high pass filter), but again, for the type of eq i usually do this works. There's a good deal of control and variables you can control, different EQ models, and various output stages (from linear/transparent to extra layers of harmonics). I love it.  Their Kotelnikov compressor allows you to do NY Compression or parallel compression quite easily too.
The game changer that real time effects in audacity has done for me has been great.  I don't really have the time/effort to learn a full DAW from scratch, i can do everything i need to in audacity so am a happy camper.  Good luck and let me know what you think.

Offline chk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »
Sorry, here's the link to the TDR plugins: http://www.tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs/

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »
The slick eq looks perfect, I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 02:55:35 AM »
If you must EQ, do like Sloan, and learn to carve with a parametric. If you are still getting the hang of it, you can put the graphic in, find your approximate frequency, then switch over to your new love (the parametric) and dial it in. So simple, and so good once you figure it out. Each EQ band has three controls - the center frequency, the gain +/-, and the width control, often called "Q," where higher "Q" is a narrower filter, lower Q is wider. Q of 1 is 1 octave wide, Q of 2 is 1/2 octave wide... it's a reciprocal relationship, so Q= 0.5 makes the filter two octaves wide.

I'm looking forward to a mini-mastering-suite of multiband compressor and a fairly transparent hard limiter. A lot of what you think might need EQ can be solved with careful use of the multiband...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline chk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 08:35:45 PM »
Morst- if you're looking for a multiband compressor with EQ, give this a try. Pretty cool/flexible and from what i've seen (which is very limited), seems pretty unique. Price is right, too.
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/nova67p/

I enjoy this developer's other plug-ins too, worth checking out.  His "Limiter no6" is basically 5 limiters in one, from basic compression to peak limiter to hard limiter, and more. Think of it as separate modules and it won't seem so complicated...https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/limiter6/
Enjoy

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 10:20:33 PM »
Morst- if you're looking for a multiband compressor with EQ, give this a try. Pretty cool/flexible and from what i've seen (which is very limited), seems pretty unique. Price is right, too.
https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/plugins/nova67p/

Wow, niiiiiiice..........thanks, great find.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Just as an update I've been using Slick EQ & have been very pleased with it. I'm sure there are better ways to use it but for me it has been quick & easy, can't recommend it enough.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:36 PM »
That is the one I have been messing with too, carlbeck.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »
Have you guys seen or tried the Reaper's ReaPlugs VST FX Suite in Audacity yet, especially ReaEQ?  I installed it and messing with it today and a little easier controls (sliding bars).
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com