Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what size bat to use with v3 and da-p1  (Read 8658 times)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:what size bat to use with v3 and da-p1
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2003, 02:21:41 AM »
well i found the battery and the parts.  After buying everythig is there really a price diffrence or is it knowing how to build your own

just clarifying one thing: you want to run your V3 and the DA-P1 from the same 6V SLA.

right?

if so, all you need are these parts:

1. 1 6V SLA
2. 1 DC plug for the V3
3. 1 DC plug for the DA-P1
4. 1 Fuse holder
5. Pack of fuses
6. Wiring
7. 2 Terminal plugs for the SLA
8. Heat shrink tubing
9. 1 Adhesive type fastener
10. 1 or 2 cable ties

i'll build you the necessary wiring if you send me the DC plugs and $4 to cover shipping.

i would require a photo of the SLA via email.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2003, 08:35:05 AM »
well i found the battery and the parts.  After buying everythig is there really a price diffrence or is it knowing how to build your own

Both.  I spent ~$100 building my first one - batt, charger, soldering iron, wiring, XLRs, etc..  The equivalent EcoCharge costs ~$200.  Subsequent batteries have cost me $20 for the SLA plus another few bucks for an extra XLR connector.  Subsequent EcoCharge batteries cost $80.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2003, 08:40:14 AM »
yes there really is a price difference- about 35 for the battery and about 25-30 MAX for parts.  65 is way less than 160 that eco-charge charges for the 90.  225 for the system, jesus what a rip.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2003, 10:50:38 AM »
yes there really is a price difference- about 35 for the battery and about 25-30 MAX for parts.  65 is way less than 160 that eco-charge charges for the 90.  225 for the system, jesus what a rip.

if you're referring to the ec-90, there is some additional very handy technology built into that battery.  the dual-voltage output is very handy and is actually built in such a way that the extra voltage is regulated and recycled, not just dissipated as heat.  this helps with battery life.  I am able to run my v3 at 6v w/phantom and a/d and the nuendo digiset for at least 5-6 hours off that one battery...so far i've pushed just over 4 and still had 2 lights left on the meter.

the battery also has a built in capacity meter and smart charger built into the battery, not the charger.  

while eco products may be expensive generally, i believe there is substantial value added into the ec-90.

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2003, 11:26:01 AM »
>>if you're referring to the ec-90, there is some additional very handy technology built into that battery.  the dual-voltage output is very handy and is actually built in such a way that the extra voltage is regulated and recycled, not just dissipated as heat.  this helps with battery life.  I am able to run my v3 at 6v w/phantom and a/d and the nuendo digiset for at least 5-6 hours off that one battery...so far i've pushed just over 4 and still had 2 lights left on the meter.

the battery also has a built in capacity meter and smart charger built into the battery, not the charger.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

according to EC homepage, the EC-90 dual supply kit retails for $255.  i'm sure there are some benefits to the added gadgets like • LED battery level meter
• Internal smart charger • LED charge status indicator, but $255!!!!!  

i'll stick with a homebrew 7.2AH 6V SLA (retail +/- $15), a 7.5AH 12V SLA (retail +/- $22) and about $10 worth of wiring/dc plugs.  2 separate chargers will run you $20 or so.

one obvious negative is the added weight of 2nd battery, but you would have PLENTY of battery capacity to power just about anything we use in the field.

total:  +/- $67 compared to $255.   oh, i forgot about the EC's • Ballistic nylon soft case with belt loop and removable shoulder strap..... no thanks...  i'll use a homebrew 20ply grocery bags and lotsa duct tape if i have to.

marc
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 11:37:07 AM by leegeddy »
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Tim

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2003, 01:57:06 PM »
I used to build batteries, now I just use eco... easier for me and they don't look like a bomb when I go through airport security. The build quality is top notch, don't pay for it if you don't want it but there products are certainly high quality.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2003, 02:00:55 PM »
I used to build batteries, now I just use eco... easier for me and they don't look like a bomb when I go through airport security. The build quality is top notch, don't pay for it if you don't want it but there products are certainly high quality.

Definitely HQ!  This is true.  But yeah, there is the bomb-suspicion factor on my hack-job going through airports.   :o  I'm always delayed for search/gear swabbing carrying all my stuff anyway, so it doesn't much matter to me.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 02:06:19 PM »
someday when I have some workspace I'll get back into building my own but  for now it's just easier
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 03:28:47 PM »

i'm sure there are some benefits to the added gadgets like • LED battery level meter
• Internal smart charger • LED charge status indicator, but $255!!!!!  

You have to remember that ecocharge sells their gear for production work and those guys aren't going to waste time building and debugging a homebrew battery system.  $255 is 10% the cost of a professional quality recorder like an HHB or D10.  So in their primary market, ecocharge batteries are pretty cheap.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2003, 08:12:01 AM »
i love my bp-50's, i have 3 of them and 2 chargers, thats a lot of money in batts, but they are TOP quality 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.245 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com