Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava MK319 - Need Info on Mic Switches  (Read 2156 times)

Offline kmanshi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Stop coming to my barn. You're all FIRED!!
Oktava MK319 - Need Info on Mic Switches
« on: January 21, 2005, 11:42:21 AM »
I just picked up a pair of these mics, and the maiden voyage went exceptionally well.  Minus some balancing issues from the band not using a PA, I'm very happy with this purchase.  I was hoping someone might be able to explain the roll off and -10db switches on these mics.  The literature I got with these was in Russian, and I don't speak Russian.

From what I can gather, there is a -10db switch that I would use should I chose to set these up as instrument mics.  The other switch is bass roll off.  When I ran these the other night, I didn't mess with the -10db switch.  I left the mic at full power.  I did screw around with the roll off switch and noticed that in one position the mic seemed really hot, and "bright".  In the other position, the volume came down considerabley and the mic seemed a lot warmer.  This was the position that sounded best to me, so I ran with it.  The end result was exceptional IMO.

Are there situations where I'm going to want to use the hotter, brighter setting?  I didn't get the opportunity to record 2 sets so that I could establish a benchmark on both settings to compare.  Ultimately, I'm going to do just that and let my ears decide, but would very much like to hear from someone who might be able to provide good info on what applicable uses exist for these types of switches. 

Thanks in advance for any input.  Should there be a thread on this already that I missed when searching, please feel free to send the link.
And the same God you're afraid, is going to send you to hell, is the same God you will answer to when the pin hits the shell.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com