Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: power cable for mix pre 3  (Read 5931 times)

Offline tbone65

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
power cable for mix pre 3
« on: November 01, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »
im looking for anyone who can help build a special cable.want to power up mix pre 3 .want to take AA sled drill a whole and  solder a cable to the coils or contacts. then terminate the other side of the cable(foot long) to a usb charger plug.   any one able to help build this please contact me off this listing.direct emails to todd1965@verizon.net thank you. tired of this bullshit with sound devices.need to take solid action.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: power cable for mix pre 3
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 08:38:07 AM »
tired of this bullshit with sound devices.need to take solid action.

I and 99% of others have had 0 issues with usb battery's.  you also have the L mount option and the dummy aa sled.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline dynamicalories

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 11:31:00 AM »
Likewise, I haven't even bothered putting AA's in my MixPre-6. Just using a USB-C battery and cable.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »

im looking for anyone who can help build a special cable.want to power up mix pre 3 .want to take AA sled drill a whole and  solder a cable to the coils or contacts. then terminate the other side of the cable(foot long) to a usb charger plug.   any one able to help build this please contact me off this listing.direct emails to todd1965@verizon.net thank you. tired of this bullshit with sound devices.need to take solid action.

Are you sure that 5 volts from USB power will be sufficient to duplicate the 6 volts you get with 4 AA's?
The math indicates that it might be like running off a set of AA cells which are down to 1.25 v each, which is past the point I would start a recording, and might not be adequate for "high power" mode on the MP3?

I'd be curious to know how this works, but I'm skeptical overall.

Physically, it's a simple mod: drill a hole in the AA sled, and bust up a USB-A or USB-C cable and find the right wires and solder (or clip?) them onto the proper polarity connectors.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline tbone65

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 01:08:28 AM »
well some of you dont understand. yes 5 volts will power up a mix pre 3.just fine.im not using the AA batteries just the sled to make a contact point for power. the reg usb c  connnection just sucks. it could easily get pulled out during recording.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
well some of you dont understand. yes 5 volts will power up a mix pre 3.just fine.

Oh, you've tried it?

5 volts from a normal USB-A pack will not allow for full power mode which is needed for use of bluetooth, or external keyboard. I guess the 3 only has two preamp channels, though...

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »
Todd,

Just buy one of these and your prayers will be answered.  I run my Mixpre-6 with either a DVD battery or Tekkeon battery with this thing.  Way too easy!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1366733-REG/cable_techniques_mx_powersled_powersled_for_sound_devices.html/?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlN-0-aPX3gIV5ZJbCh2zBwoOEAQYASABEgKO7_D_BwE&smp=Y

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:07:09 PM »
USB is 5 volts. When you are powering a Mixpre-3/6 via USB-c it's 5 volts! The issue is the amperage, not the voltage. The Mixpre needs 7.5 watts for full operation - 5 volts X 1.5 amps. The issue with USB-A based batteries is because the USB cable standards set a maximum of .9 amps for a USB-A to USB-C cable) 5 volts x .9 amps - 4.5 watts (yes, some cables ignore the standards)

AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.255 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com