Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is there any reason to keep masters as WAV files?  (Read 6645 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Is there any reason to keep masters as WAV files?
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:26:07 AM »
My understanding is that as a lossless compression format FLAC files allow for the complete recovery of the WAV file. Is there any reason to maintain the larger WAV files?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »
No
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Is there any reason to keep masters as WAV files?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:32:17 AM »
Is there any reason NOT to?  Storage space is dirt cheap.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »
FLAC files can be verified without a checksum.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »
Great question.

I still keep original WAV files.

I tried using FLAC but it took extra time every time, and then extra time again to be sure that the FLAC was encoded perfectly. I should not do less before deleting original WAVs!?

But speaking of time, I have started to perform an MD5 checksum on the original file as it resides on the original storage medium, then I do a MD5 checksum on the file I have transferred to the hard drive. I compare these to make sure I have a good copy from the original to the drive which I'll be backing up.

Call me paranoid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »
Saving ~30% of storage space seems like it could save some dough in the long run, but I’m more specifically asking as I’m awaiting delivery on 2 HDDs and want to free up some space on my laptop’s SDD to do some post.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »
I don't keep them unless it is an accident.  I even break my master polywavs into pairs and FLAC those.

Once every several months I will go through my folder of masters and search for ".wav" just to go through and compress any stragglers
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 04:45:51 PM »
This is actually an excellent reminder that I should go through my old WAV masters and FLAC them — thanks!

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »
But speaking of time, I have started to perform an MD5 checksum on the original file as it resides on the original storage medium, then I do a MD5 checksum on the file I have transferred to the hard drive. I compare these to make sure I have a good copy from the original to the drive which I'll be backing up.

Call me paranoid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah, I used to use DVDs to backup by hard drives.  I used an MD5 checksum GUI to create and verify a MD5 and then save it to each disc. When I copied all the files off I would create another MD5 with the copied files and verify they matched. 
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 10:46:12 PM »
Saving ~30% of storage space seems like it could save some dough in the long run, but I’m more specifically asking as I’m awaiting delivery on 2 HDDs and want to free up some space on my laptop’s SDD to do some post.
Are you kidding me? How much music have you got? External 4TB drives cost like $80 now if you shop it right.

I ripped 800 DAT's and it's 1.2TB I think?

It would take a few days to FLAC that, in order to save less than $10 worth of space per copy?

OK sure, if you have nothing but [processor] time, it IS a potential for small cost savings... depending on how much power your machine draws and what you pay per kWH, now that we're actually thinking about the cost!?

You could save up and buy a fancy windscreen!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:17 PM »
Are you kidding me? How much music have you got? External 4TB drives cost like $80 now if you shop it right.

I ripped 800 DAT's and it's 1.2TB I think?

You have a very good point.  Storage is cheap now... 

I've Transferred a lot of DATs too.  All of my Transfers average 1gb per DAT, but I keep the untracked Master FLAC and the tracked out FLAC files both... 

I think the WAV>FLAC is a hold-over from days when storage space was much more expensive...  I still have plenty of time though, so I still FLAC all my Transfers...

Just my worthless bits...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 01:33:31 AM »
As storage is no longer a real economic concern (for now), I save the raw WAV masters and also post-processed, tracked and FLAC-ed files.

Every so often I have a breakthrough on my skills in post and how to improve the quality of a recording I made 10-15 years ago or even a year ago. Without the unaltered WAVs I'm screwed.

Example is when I ran 2 DAT decks back in the day, one AUD one SBD. Now that I know how to process time drift I'm kicking myself in the ass as to how many MTX recordings I could have made of some classic shows...

:tomato:

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 07:00:12 AM »
Storage is cheap, but you also have to factor in your backup storage, plus the time and bandwidth needed to back up the additional storage.

I agree that it's a marginal savings, but as it's easy enough to select a bunch of files and set them running to convert, I'll probably do it at some point.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »
As storage is no longer a real economic concern (for now), I save the raw WAV masters and also post-processed, tracked and FLAC-ed files.

Every so often I have a breakthrough on my skills in post and how to improve the quality of a recording I made 10-15 years ago or even a year ago. Without the unaltered WAVs I'm screwed.

Example is when I ran 2 DAT decks back in the day, one AUD one SBD. Now that I know how to process time drift I'm kicking myself in the ass as to how many MTX recordings I could have made of some classic shows...

:tomato:

That's why I keep raw .wav masters, too.

And 4 oak DAT racks.. :laugh:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
Raw master FLACs can be tagged with venue, source info, etc.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com