Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)  (Read 132654 times)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 8)
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2017, 11:29:33 PM »
Seconding everything Morst said. Is it possible the squared-off waveform is clipping at some other point in the chain, not within the M-10?

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
Concerning the battery drain, is the m10 set to "nimh"? Long shot, I know. Weird stuff happening to yours, my experience matches others. No issues whatsoever.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #227 on: March 08, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
Good God this thing is becoming more of a nuisance than anything.  I keep trying to give it more chances to no avail.

I have been using the M-10 as my  >:D recorder and every time I go out with it I have different problems.  Mostly what I presumed to be user error but now am unsure.

Last night I went out to record a hip hop gig.  I have popped in what I thought was a fresh set of Eneloops AA and about half way through a 5 hour night I notice that the batteries are sinking fast.  There were A LOT of DJ's in between short hip hop acts so I shut the recorder down a couple of times and just skipped the DJ crap.

Now this morning I go onto my SD card and only see 2 files but one of them is the main act so I am thinking this is OK since that is why I went in the 1st place.  I plug the USB cable in and see the rest of the early files on the internal memory. 

When powering the unit down why would it revert from internal to SD card?  I figured it might be the other way around but I had all setting triple checked before heading out for the evening and it was SET TO RUN ON THE MEMORY CARD.

Second issue was that even though I had levels peaking around -6 I have a squared off wave form.  I have yet to look at the limiter setting but is it possible that this turned on via one of my reboots?  This is fu%^ing crazy.  I just need a small bit bucket dammit.   :angry3:

If you want to get rid of that flaky POS I'll make the ultimate sacrifice and take it off your hands....... :smash: :smash:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »
I think that I may have just found the culprit.  It is brickwalling caused by the Tinybox.  I am pretty sure mine was HIGH and it was a really loud rap concert.  I bet I overloaded it.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176892.msg2181045#msg2181045
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
it was a really loud rap concert.
It's also possible that the concert sound itself was drastically limited and squared off! But you'd see analog fuzzies on your recording from those square waves distorting the speakers and traveling through the air...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline rockphantom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #230 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
I would like to verify that the Mic Sens (ATT) high/low setting has no effect if you go Line In with a pre-amp on the M10.
Is this correct?

My main rig is: Church Audio CA-11 Cardioid Mics - > Church Audio Ugly 2 Preamp (Gain setting +15db) -> Line In -> Sony PCM-M10

Thank You!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:52:45 AM by rockphantom »
Deck: Sony PCM-M10 Preamp: Church Audio Ugly 2 Mics: CA-11 Cardioids,CA-14 Cardioids
FS: Soundman OKMII Rock Binaural FS: CA-14 Omnis.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #231 on: March 15, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
I would like to verify that the Mic Sens (ATT) high/low setting has no effect if you go Line In with a pre-amp on the M10.
Is this correct?

My main rig is: Church Audio CA-11 Cardioid Mics - > Church Audio Ugly 2 Preamp (Gain setting +15db) -> Line In -> Sony PCM-M10

Thank You!
correct, just for the internals
Set the m10 side dial at 4 to start off with
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2017, 05:25:32 PM »
I think that I may have just found the culprit.  It is brickwalling caused by the Tinybox.  I am pretty sure mine was HIGH and it was a really loud rap concert.  I bet I overloaded it.
I have found that I need to run on LOW for loud, not even the loudest, concerts. I run at 24 bit to get some headroom, and crank the M10 almost all the way up generally. Only the very loudest of shows will go over on Tinybox LOW + M10 cranked for me. I had realized that I was getting distortion on too many shows using the MED setting, let alone the HIGH setting. I wish I could use MED more often but you usually don't have much of a clue how much bass will be in the mix before the music starts.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:02:12 PM by eman »
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2017, 09:52:44 AM »
I have found that I need to run on LOW for loud, not even the loudest, concerts. I run at 24 bit to get some headroom, and crank the M10 almost all the way up generally. Only the very loudest of shows will go over on Tinybox LOW + M10 cranked for me. I had realized that I was getting distortion on too many shows using the MED setting, let alone the HIGH setting. I wish I could use MED more often but you usually don't have much of a clue how much bass will be in the mix before the music starts.

I'm pretty sure this was the problem now.  I just popped open a CCM4>Tinybox>M10 recording I made at Charlotte Phish from back in 2012 and the end of the show went over too and I think that I had it set at MED.  I normally record pretty quiet acoustic stuff which is why I likely had it set higher for Twista.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline willndmb

« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »
I have never had to run on high with the tb.
Med sometimes but low if I want plenty of room
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline mtahir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #235 on: April 14, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
I was wondering if the remote port on the Sony PCM-M10 can be used as a lanc port? The PCM-M10 comes with a remote that has a 2.5mm/TRRS connector. Lanc cables tend to be 2.5mm/TRS types from what I can tell. Does anyone know if it's possible?

Thanks

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
Concerning the battery drain, is the m10 set to "nimh"? Long shot, I know. Weird stuff happening to yours, my experience matches others. No issues whatsoever.

The M10 is battery savy  compared to the R09hr.I use the same rechargeable batteries and never had issues of running flat in middle of recordings.Most live  recordings I do run 2 1/2 to 3/1/2 hours long.Since running time info is different  from everybody here .The best thing to do  is run a test of your own is let it record something not important like the radio and let the fully charged  batteries run flat.The time length will be known with the  full length of what was recorded.You always can delete the test file unless you heard something  interesting that was recorded from the radio.

Offline CaptainSumo

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2017, 04:46:44 AM »

(1) That Sony has discontinued the World's best pocket recorder.  I have two but then again, I simply don't understand why a company would discontinue such a great little unit.

(2) Putting aside the corporate decision to discontinue it, not having a replacement for this market seems silly.  Will I have to get a third unit?  Jeez.

I very much suspect they discontinued the M10 because it was just a bit too good for something at that price, and it was disrupting Sony's sales and pricing model. If everybody was buying the M10 and attaching it to external mics, instead of shelling out the cash for Sony's premium models, Sony had to take action. Simply adding $200 to the RRP would have caused more hassle and negative publicity than anyone wanted, so the alternative was to discontinue and make sure the replacement wouldn't be useable in the same way.

Another possible theory is that Sony's Sales and Marketing department is staggeringly incompetent and didn't realise how many people used this unit. Considering how successful Sony is, I don't think that can be the case.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:50:39 AM by CaptainSumo »

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2017, 10:09:26 AM »
Wondering how would you connect a Lunatec V3 to the Sony M10.  The V3 has optical and SPDIF and XLR outs only.

TIA   
retired

Offline willndmb

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.364 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com