Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 115235 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #300 on: July 27, 2011, 04:22:16 PM »
Sound Devices 704? Have you looked at the Sound Devices 744? Or if you have even deeper pockets there is the 788.

I will say that there are some things the R-44 does that beats the 744. For one thing you can set it to record as two separate stereo files. This is handy if you want to say, keep the aud and the sbd separate. I could be that the person I saw with the 744 didn't know how to configure it that way.

I have to wonder why people buy a 744 then run preamps in front of it. It would seem to me that what is coming out of the preamps is line level so the recorder is almost running as a bit bucket. I'd invest in a better preamp before jumping on a 744.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline ben_r_

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
No, there is no 704 yet. I was just saying that because a four channel without timecode (like the 702 but with four channels) would be what Id really want because it would be a lot less expensive than the 744t.

Also my question was should I upgrade to the R44 from a Marantz PMD661 and what benefit would I gain.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »
Since you mention the limiters on the R-44..

I've never activated the limiter funtion on mine.  Does anyone here use the limiters?  What is the threshold?  How do they sound?  Notice any influence on the sound if the signal always peaks below the threshold?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #303 on: August 12, 2011, 08:16:41 AM »
I've just had the external power input go on my r-44 after over 3 years of faultless running. Has anyone got a service manual?

The limiters do their job, I've used them a few times recording dialogue without a mixer in front- they're more noticeable in terms of change in background noise than the analogue ones on my sonosax mixer. I actually didn't know the threshold (thought it was about -12dBFS) and found this on gearslutz:

"Thank you for your interest in our line of EDRIOL audio field recorders. The R-44's limiter is analog and digital mixed like the R-4Pro. When you turn on the limiter, analog gain goes automatically -12dB down for prevention of digital distortion and after that passes through the digital limiter. After that the signal level goes +12dB back up again for matching total signal level.

The limiter threshold is -10 dB relative to digital full scale."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #304 on: August 12, 2011, 09:31:14 AM »
Thanks Rich.

So it seems the strategy is that it decreases analog input stage gain by 12dB for increased headroom, then makes up that 12dB digitaly after the ADC for the same recorded level writen to the file, until signal crosses the -10dB threshold where it reduces the amount of digital make-up gain applied according to it's preprogramed attack and release settings.

Makes sense.

Note that if this summary is right, switching on the limiters raises the analog input noise floor by 12dB.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RichT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2011, 07:59:55 AM »
Took my R-44 apart yesterday to see if there was an easy fix for the power issue.  DC connector was still in, no fuse and the protection diode (D4, I assume) still registered a value (although would be a nightmare to replace, being surface mounted).  This is what the insides look like, pretty well made- with a metal frame:

Offline RichT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2011, 08:48:40 AM »
Having a second look at that last picture, are F4 and F1 tiny fuses?

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
Having a second look at that last picture, are F4 and F1 tiny fuses?

I'd say yes, so they would of course have continuity across them.  If they are open or no continuity they are bad.

Hard to make out but there is also a D5 in the photo, should have continuity in one direction and a resistance value like 0.7 ohms with the leads reversed. 

Good luck and keep us posted.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

kirk97132

« Reply #308 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
do you have bionic vision?  even with glasses on I can barely make that stuff let alone tell what it is.

Offline RichT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
 well. it seems to be accepting external power again. Hooked it up to an external battery and it works again.  It didnt pick up the DC supply after putting it back together. Odd.

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2011, 04:23:48 PM »
well. it seems to be accepting external power again. Hooked it up to an external battery and it works again.  It didnt pick up the DC supply after putting it back together. Odd.

Attached is a PDF scan from the owners manual "Using External Power Sources" that may help...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:28:22 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »
Kingston Class 6 16GB Slow Card Error w/ 4xmono @24/44.1

So I got the dreaded "slow card" error with this recently purchased card. Recorded a month earlier on same card with fresh format 2xstereo @ 24/44.1, no issues. I did not re-format the card before I began, I had the earlier 2xstereo recording which took up about 2gigs still on the card. Been using Kingston Class 6 8gb cards forever and never an issue on 2xstereo. This I believe was the first time I've tried the R-44 with 4xmono...

Anyone else have a problem with this card with similar settings? I bought 2 of these 16gb cards, same problem with both, even with fresh format. They both work fine in my Tascam dr-2d.

I tried a bunch of things. Kingston Class 6 8gb works fine at 4xmono @24/44.1. I also upgraded firmware from 1.02->1.10, still don't work.

Oh well. Wish I only bought one of these cards and tested before I bought two. At least they work in the dr-2d, and 2xstereo in the r-44, so it's not a total loss.

Love this unit otherwise, it has never failed me until now...

Thanks,
Mandoman

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #312 on: August 19, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »
I think we discussed the limiter some years back - ! - but my comment then as now is that given the reduction of analog gain that happens prior to digital limiting, you might as well reduce the analog gain yourself by 12dB or whatever you fance, and do the limiting to taste in a DAW afterwards, unless you absolutely have to do it right away.  Boils down to the same thing, but you have more control of the outcome.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
Was running my R-44 this past weekend and ran into a glitch that I'd rather not try to make happen again in case it actually does something bad to the electronics.  Did a search and couldn't find anything related so my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere on the board.  Figure I'd post it here for academic purposes.

So I'm running mics with phantom on channels 1&2 and a board feed on channels 3&4.  Levels are good, plenty of power and everything's going fine until (about 15 minutes into the show) I decide that I want to change the monitoring to see how only the mics are sounding.  The "Hold" was engaged so I had to switch that off in order to change what the headphones are monitoring.  In the darkness, and not paying close enough attention, I accidentally switch off the phantom power to channel 1 while the "Hold" is still engaged instead of switching off the "Hold" button.  The meters to all 4 channels instantly go flat but the deck is still recording and the time counter is ticking away.  Quickly as I realized it, I switched off the "Hold" button, switched the phantom power back on to channel 1 and the levels on the meters came back like nothing had happened.  The rest of the night went without incident.  But, sure enough, when I loaded the tracks into the DAW on my computer, there is a 5-second gap of perfect silence across all 4 channels where it happened, the edges of which are both cleanly cut.  Hmmm...

Has anyone else run into this or knows what may have happened?  Is it a known glitch?  Thanks.

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2011, 03:55:20 PM »
Feature, not glitch!

Phantom can cause an audible thump as the power comes up to spec... So edirol (UA-5 also) mutes audio for a moment on all 4 channels so that thump doesn't blow woofer cones and the like....

BTW, switching off phantom on an input will give weird high frequency whistling as power falls below spec, like bird whistling!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com