Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how do you sync audio/video?  (Read 8302 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
how do you sync audio/video?
« on: February 27, 2004, 12:42:30 AM »
i thought i was computer savvy, but for the life of me i cannot seem to figure out how to sync audio/video w/ TMPGenc. i have searched here, dp.com, & dvdrhelp.org til i was blue in the face. some step by step instructions would be sweet. btw i hope this is the right forum for this.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Re:how do you sync audio/video?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 03:16:19 AM »
try vegas video
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 03:17:07 AM by Xpanding »
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 03:20:59 AM »
i "tried" it but i could not get the plug-in for mpeg2.

d

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 12:21:41 PM »
then you have..wait, mpeg2 ?  pardon my ingnorance, but is that for vcd's ? or Svcds ?
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline the yokel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 12:42:18 PM »
 Mpeg 2 is the standard for most DVD's.  Mpeg 1 is standard for VCD.  I'm not sure what you mean by "i couldn't get the plug-in for Mpeg 2".  Vegas should come stock with all the codecs you need.  What version are you using?  This doesn't help that problem but i find it easiest to find the 1st vocal & mark it on the original tape then find the same spot on the new audio & mark it.  Subtract the difference & then line 'em up.  Once you get them close to in sync you can listen to see if they match up nicely(no echoes).  If they don't take a frame @ a tme off until they do.  

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 01:23:01 PM »
vegas video requires you to register w/ them online to get either mpeg1 or mpeg2 plugins. trust me. i am using TMPGenc. the files i have are mpeg1 for vcd. my first goal was to sync w/ audio and convert to mpeg2 for dvd. that seems more difficult so i could keep them as mpeg1 and make vcds which seems a little easier. i just cant seem to get them in sync.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 05:47:55 AM »
adobe premier?  I'm sure you can find a free copy online

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 07:45:18 PM »
An easy way to synch is to extract the crappy audio from the camera into a wave file.  Then line it up with your good sound in multitrack (as if you were doing a mix).  You can see exactly where you want your audio to start and how much drift there is between sources.  Edit your good sound to match the crappy one (same start and end points), then 'mux' them (stick em together) with tmpgenc by using your wave file as the audio source.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 07:46:45 PM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 11:19:07 PM »
sweet dood. gotta try that. should i use wavelab or soundforge? thanks a ton. oh and +t!

d

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 02:01:10 AM »
sweet dood. gotta try that. should i use wavelab or soundforge? thanks a ton. oh and +t!

d

you should use cool edit pro.  it has an easy interface.  

Offline chazam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 11:05:10 AM »
This link has been very helpful for me.  ;)

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/140540.php

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 09:47:08 PM »

d

this is the route I go.  Extract the cam audio in tmpgEnc as one .wav...drop it in cool edit pro multitrack, then mix in the good source, song by song.  Mute cam audio when I'm done, and mix down.  I use dvd-lab to author, so I mux it back with the video at that point, finding chapter points by getting the time for each track on the audio mixdown, then inserting them via the timecode in the video preview.  Very easy, very fast, works like a charm.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 09:48:05 PM by Chad817 »
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline willherrmann

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2004, 08:43:24 AM »

d

Any CoolEdit Pro users who have succeeded with this, I'm looking for some tips.  I find that when I stretch my external audio to match the length of the camcorder audio, the external audio becomes slightly garbled and distorted.  I'm using the constant pitch option (i.e. adjust tempo).  Also, I'm using the constant stretch tab, as opposed to the gliding stretch tab in Cool Edit.  Am I doing this right?  Any guesses on why the audio quality would deteriorate after it's been stretched??

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
Re: how do you sync audio/video?
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2004, 09:14:15 AM »
the audio from the cam should be visible in vegas.  you can then bring in your good audio wave and overlay it/sync it, whatever.

you should then be able to save it as the huge uncompressed avi file, you could then load that file in tmpgenc and encode to mp2.

i have the codecs for mpeg 2 in my version of vegas - i dunno if its possible to send them to you, but if you know of a way, i'll be more than happy to to help you thru this "learning experience" ;)

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline willherrmann

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re: how do you sync audio/video?
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 09:35:20 AM »
The problem I'm having though is actually the overlaying/sync'ing part.  I use Pinnacle Studio for the video editing/layout, and Cool Edit Pro for the audio editing.  I'm taking the camera audio from Pinnacle and importing it into Cool Edit Pro so I can sync my better quality external audio with the camera audio, and then replace the audio back into Pinnacle using the superior audio.  Problem is I'm having trouble actually stretching my external audio so that it sync's exactly with the camera audio.  The sound quality seems to suffer after I run the audio through the "stretch" function in Cool Edit Pro and I don't know why that's happening...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.294 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com