Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VHS to DVD-R  (Read 6496 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
VHS to DVD-R
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:24:04 PM »
Looking for some advice on setting up a good conversion system to do this. I have 1000's of hours of college basketball on VHS I want to put on DVD-R so I can unload the VHS tapes.

My best desktop is a 2.4GHz Dell with 512 MB Ram so I would be open to adding a video card or more ram to use this system for the task.

The other option I was thinking about getting a basic standalone dvd-recorder, running the tapes thru that directly to dvd-r or dvd-rw and then getting it onto the pc from the dvd-r's to edit out the commercials.

Offline scideadwspph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re: VHS to DVD-R
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 12:44:29 PM »
most definitely the Easiest way to do it is with a component dvd burner like you mentioned.  they let you do Simple Transfers from Tivo, Sat, cable, camcorder, vcr, whatever, anytime, Easily, in real time. hook up the cables, press play, press record, wait for the video to play out, finalize (2 buttons and 5 minutes), and you're done.

transferring tapes directly to computer not only requires a ton of time, but capturing and authoring dvd's is pretty complex, not to mention time consuming to learn.  projects done on computer take roughly 5 - 10 times as long to produce than a simple component dvd burner.  (if someone can prove me wrong, i'm more than happy to openly listen). my computer is perfect for making dvd copies and editing video if i need to.

here's the cheapest one i can find right now: http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productid=2008173&affid=874&adid=874 it's cheap, but i'd say it would probably do just fine. plus it also lets you record to vcd.

if you can afford a better one, i'd go with at least this one... http://www.mpsuperstore.com/Electronics/discr58115.htm?Chksource=mysimon (it's twice as much and remanufactured, but i'd still go with it if you can)  i've used a panasonic dmr-hs2 40gb component burner for 2 years and have helped 3 friends buy the panasonic dmr-e20's.  they've all been exceptional units.  both burners require dvd-r but the hs2 also has a mini-dv input (something important to look for if you have a mini-dv cam).

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 12:57:46 PM »
the above post is true, but bearing in mind that he wants to edit out the commercials..he's going to have to go back to the pc anyway.  It may be easier just to capture directly to the computer.  With over a 1000 hours...that's a lot of blank discs to use if you are essentially going to be throwing away the ones you make on the standalone (what use would they be after ripping them and then editing out the commercials?).  Basic DVD authoring isn't hard at all.  I'd look into a capture card, or possibly one of those firewire devices with multiple inputs.

I guess it depends on how much editing he wants to do.  It would be quite a task to edit out all the commercials from that much material, not hard..just very time consuming.  I'd probably just go the standalone burner route and be done with it.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline scideadwspph

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 06:36:14 PM »
like you said, the standalone is better for this task.

editing out the commercials is No Problem on a standalone.

but extremely time consuming on a pc.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 10:56:30 PM by scideadwspph »

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 12:03:17 AM »
ah, news to me.  I was under the impression you could do any editing on a standalone.  I'm guessing you can stop/resume recording then??
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 04:08:31 PM »
I do a lot of VHS to DVD concert transfers.  Here's my setup:

Capturing:

JVC SVHS S9500U deck > I.DEN IVT-7 TBC (stand alone) > Datavideo DAC-100 (analog to digital converter) > firewire > Dell 2350 1.8ghz 512 RAM > ScenalyzerLive capture software (uncompressed .avi)

Editing:

TMPGENC and Virtual Dub

Authoring:

TMPGENC DVD Author

You will need the TBC (timebase corrector) for it will stablize the video and prevent frame drops.  You can find one on eBay for $100 - $500.  TBC is king when it comes to old videos.

Hope that helps.  PM for more questions.  Also check out www.dvdrhelp.com for specific stuff.

Offline scideadwspph

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 10:35:49 PM »
here's mine

3ccd mini-dv > firewire > dvd-r standalone panasonic dmr-hs2
or
3ccd mini-dv > firewire > p4 2.5ghz > premier > sony dvd architect
or
s-vhs, vhs, dvd or cable > standalone or pc

got the standalone halloween 02 and it's perfect for mini-dv transfers, including dubbing over the audio w/ better audio (manually like the vcr method, but more precise).  then got the computer, and it was perfect for making copies (can do it on the standalone if i leave the show on its hard drive).  now, even though i edit a lot of projects on the computer, i still use the standalone for all kinds of things.  my favorite thing about it is that i can pause anything on cable tv like tivo.  never wanted tivo or satellite, i just like cable and my cable internet package too much, so the hard drive on the standalone (some models don't have one), let's me start a recording (from any input source) and start watching it from the beginning while it's still recording the end.  in other words, the laser multitasks so well that you can hit record, then wait 3 seconds and press play and pause.  go get some beer, come back and skip commercials (changes the whole way i multitask at home).

few years ago though, i wish i had bought a standalone vcd recorder.  would be a usefull extra toy for all kinds of stuff.  when friends ask me to record sopranos, i have to burn them a dvd or switch cables and trouble myself with vhs (and i don't keep blanks anymore like i used to).  would love to be able to burn all kinds of stuff to vcd, easily on a standalone unit.

video obsessive compulsive disorder. or vocd.   

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 10:39:44 PM by scideadwspph »

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 07:33:09 AM »

Everything you always wanted to know about VIDEO CAPTURE AND DVD AUTHORING.  Clear and incisive step-by-steps...

Rick
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 10:04:13 AM by sickrick43 »
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline gewwang

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 09:43:22 AM »
Thanks for all the replies so far.

I ended up getting an ATI All in Wonder 9600 video card. I'm going S-Video from the DVR box and coax digital audio out of the DVR box into the ATI and the Digital Audio soundcard. The only app I've found that allows me to record an AVI with the audio from the soundcard instead of the video source is AM Capture. I'd prefer to do the capture using VirtualDub but I couldn't find an option to set the digital soundcard as the audio device. Anyone know how to do this? Or is there a better program for doing the video capture?

I also hit the 4 GB limit after about 15 min of capture. Is there an app that will allow an auto-split of files as you're capturing like the way Wavelab does it with the 2GB limit in audio?

After I get the avi file captured, I am using VitualDub to edit out the commercials.

Now I'm on to converting from AVI to MPeg-2. I'll check out SickRick's site to see how to do that next.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 10:55:23 AM »
Well after reading http://www.digitalfaq.com/ (Thanks Rick), I was able to get most of my questions answered.

I'm using ATI multimedia center to capture the video and audio from my DVR. Unfortunately, I can't use the digital audio from the DVR into my digital soundcard because (I think) I have an Emagic Audiowerk2 and XP doesn't seem to allow it to be set as the default recording sound device. So I am going rca out of the DVR into the ATI card and then sending the line out of the ATI card to the line in of the integrated sound on the Dell desktop.

I'm capturing the video in one of the SW presets 'DVD medium' which is MPEG-2 352x480. Each half of a basketball game ends up being about 1 GB. I tried MPEG-2 720x480 and then encoding the files using mpeg2vcr, but the resulting files ended up displaying pixels so I went back to 352x480 and it shows up fine.

After I capture the video, I'm using mpeg2vcr to edit out the commercials. Then I'm authoring the DVD using Nero visionexpress with a crossfade at the beginning and end of each chapter if needed.

Thanks again for all the help if you have any suggestions on improving this method, please let me know.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
here's a question...what happens when the vhs has macrovision on it.  i have an official live pulp (uk band) vhs and it has macrovision.  i was trying to from my vcr > composite in on my ati all-in-wonder.  its not really that big of a deal, but thought i'd ask since this thread is here and didn't see it in the digital faq - thanks for that rick +t

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline radiohead_dpa

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 12:59:43 PM »
My friend has an $80 filter that allows to get past any macrovision (they wanted to transfer all their Disney tapes to dvd).  That's unfortunately all i know about it.

Offline edgar

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2004, 03:13:57 AM »
does anyone involved in this thread who has the capability live in AZ?

pm me if you do.
SP-CMC-2>SP-SPSB-2>M1

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2004, 01:46:25 AM »
Well after reading http://www.digitalfaq.com/ (Thanks Rick), I was able to get most of my questions answered.

I'm using ATI multimedia center to capture the video and audio from my DVR. Unfortunately, I can't use the digital audio from the DVR into my digital soundcard because (I think) I have an Emagic Audiowerk2 and XP doesn't seem to allow it to be set as the default recording sound device. So I am going rca out of the DVR into the ATI card and then sending the line out of the ATI card to the line in of the integrated sound on the Dell desktop.

I'm capturing the video in one of the SW presets 'DVD medium' which is MPEG-2 352x480. Each half of a basketball game ends up being about 1 GB. I tried MPEG-2 720x480 and then encoding the files using mpeg2vcr, but the resulting files ended up displaying pixels so I went back to 352x480 and it shows up fine.

After I capture the video, I'm using mpeg2vcr to edit out the commercials. Then I'm authoring the DVD using Nero visionexpress with a crossfade at the beginning and end of each chapter if needed.

Thanks again for all the help if you have any suggestions on improving this method, please let me know.

may i ask what you intend on watching these dvds on? i.e. TV set or computer monitor? i ask because a 352x480 pixel resolution = VERY poor. of course, if you capture a file at that size and play it on your computer monitor (which has a much higher resolution than your TV, unless you have a crap monitor and an HDTV), it will look 'better' a.k.a. less pixelated if you watch it using Windows Media Player or something, because the viewing size of a 352x480 video is smaller than a 720x480 video. besides, captured video (off TV sources) is interlaced, except in certain circumstances (i.e. i believe some newer HDTV broadcasts are not interlaced, but i may be wrong about that) - and computer monitors are NOT interlaced. hence, if you watch *any* captured video from a TV source that is interlaced, it will not look good when watching it on your PC monitor. you'll see a "comb" effect, because of the interlacing inherent in typical TV sources.

overall, are you pleased with the quality of the ATI card (when watching the vhs>dvd converted disc on your TV)? just curious.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 01:43:41 PM »

Format: Mpeg2  Standard: NTSC 525  Resolution: 720X480 Deinterlacing: Encode Interlaced  Audio: 48Khz 16 Bit Stereo

Number of P Frames: 2   Number of B Frames: 2  Closed GOP: checked

Video Encoding Parameters - Variable Bit Rate - Max: 6MBS  Target Bit Rate: 6MBS Motion Estimation: 95 Audio 192KBS

Video Soap: None   Max File Size: Windows Limit

Files will be HUGE, but full/wide DVD quality.  I use TMPGEnc to RE-ENCODE the mpg2, take out the black edges and normalize the audio (and get the filesize down to a DVD's worth), then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to remove the commercials, setup the menu's (if any) and create the chapters.

There are other methods (some easier, some more difficult).  This happens to be the one I use, and get broadcast quality DVD's out of it.  Even though the filesize will be HUGE, you're got to capture @ 720X480 at the high bitrate or your quality will suffer. 

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline gewwang

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 02:08:46 PM »
may i ask what you intend on watching these dvds on? i.e. TV set or computer monitor? i ask because a 352x480 pixel resolution = VERY poor. of course, if you capture a file at that size and play it on your computer monitor (which has a much higher resolution than your TV, unless you have a crap monitor and an HDTV), it will look 'better' a.k.a. less pixelated if you watch it using Windows Media Player or something, because the viewing size of a 352x480 video is smaller than a 720x480 video. besides, captured video (off TV sources) is interlaced, except in certain circumstances (i.e. i believe some newer HDTV broadcasts are not interlaced, but i may be wrong about that) - and computer monitors are NOT interlaced. hence, if you watch *any* captured video from a TV source that is interlaced, it will not look good when watching it on your PC monitor. you'll see a "comb" effect, because of the interlacing inherent in typical TV sources.

overall, are you pleased with the quality of the ATI card (when watching the vhs>dvd converted disc on your TV)? just curious.

I'm actually watching the dvd-r's on my tv and so far the results have been pretty good. But I know the results could be better, and I plan to try capturing in mpeg2 720x480 again tonight after I clear off some HD space. My only real open issue now is that the audiowerk soundcard I was hoping to use for the audio in isn't compatible with xp, so I have to use the analog rca ins on my breakout box and run analog out of the ati card into the integrated audio of the pc to capture the mpeg2 audio.

Files will be HUGE, but full/wide DVD quality.  I use TMPGEnc to RE-ENCODE the mpg2, take out the black edges and normalize the audio (and get the filesize down to a DVD's worth), then use TMPGEnc DVD Author to remove the commercials, setup the menu's (if any) and create the chapters.

There are other methods (some easier, some more difficult).  This happens to be the one I use, and get broadcast quality DVD's out of it.  Even though the filesize will be HUGE, you're got to capture @ 720X480 at the high bitrate or your quality will suffer. 

I know this is worthwhile for the shows/games that I am transferring from my HD recorder with S-Video out/in, but is 720x480 going to make much of a difference over 352x480 when I'm transferring from a VCR with regular video out/in?

use TMPGEnc DVD Author to remove the commercials, setup the menu's (if any) and create the chapters.

I tried using this for authoring but wasn't able to insert a background .wav audio file for the menu. Is there a way to do this with TMPGEnc DVD Author? I'm able to do it with Nero VisionExpress and have been using it for that feature.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 02:11:41 PM by gewwang »

Offline jaguaracer

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading List
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2004, 08:56:37 PM »
I tried using this for authoring but wasn't able to insert a background .wav audio file for the menu. Is there a way to do this with TMPGEnc DVD Author? I'm able to do it with Nero VisionExpress and have been using it for that feature.

Use TMPG encoder program and create an mpeg with a jpeg/bmp as the video source and your wav file as the audio source. Note: don't use the wizard for this. Just open the program, close the wizard and fill in the two source boxes.
Sorry I can't help with the other questions but I would say that the increased resolution is worth it if you can manage it. However, it doesn't sound like you are going to spreading these a la concert videos. Therefore, if you like 352x480, have no complaints and are still having some problems at the higher resolutions, just go for it.

DC

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2004, 09:40:32 PM »
well, with video, a lot of it comes down to time/resources vs. quality. that is, you can get a video card (like an ATI) that captures directly as MPEG-2, then just burn it directly to DVD±R(W). another route is the standalone recorder, which will also capture (and burn directly to DVD) in realtime. then there's the better quality, but more resource intensive caputre cards/methods that capture in (DV) .AVI format, and then have to be encoded to MPEG-2, authored, then burned to DVD. obviously, the cheaper options are an AVI capture card or an MPEG capture card, but the AVI capture cards require more time (encoding to MPEG-2). the standalones require more resources ($$$) than either type of capture card.

but if a direct-to-MPEG capture is acceptable quality for your own viewing of *tons* of basketball games, then i'd say you probably made the right choice.  ;)   along that line of thought, if the quality looks okay to you at 352x480, then why change anything?

note: my statements regarding "acceptable" quality are based on the criteria that the usage of the video card is for personal viewing (not for video concert releases, where everyone wants the optimal quality possible, obviously).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com