Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beseler Topcon questions  (Read 4970 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Beseler Topcon questions
« on: January 21, 2005, 09:30:13 AM »
I figured I would ask here to see if anyone knows.  My office partner recieved an older (but VERY nice condition) Beseler Topcon Auto 100 slr for xmas.
She brought it in to work today hoping I could give her some info about it.  I have tried to search around the net, but couldnt find a few answers to some of her questions.
1) do they still make the batteries to fit this??  I don't think so...so what would you recommend as a replacement?
2) All I can find is "bayounet" for lens mount...can you tell what kinds of mount this is..for extra lenses?

any thoughts on the build/quality of the camera?  I have not seen any pictures taken with it yet...but my interest is growing, as her friend who gave it to her said its a really nice camera....but I am not the photo junky, so I do not know...

thanx..ANY thing you can tell me will be much appreciated!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Beseler Topcon questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:00:04 AM »
the bessler topcon auto 100 was a 1960s creation that was one of the first steps towards the modern slr.

you will find a lot of answers here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/beseler_topcon/beselet_auto100.htm

that link is a reprint of the manual (which im guessing she doesn't have).

The lens is indeed a Bayonet mount, which will be difficult to come by, but watch eBay for other lenses.  (you might consider this auction just for the package of lenses alone: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15241&item=3867571150&rd=1)

Depending on the condition of this camera you may see light issues with the back, however the only way to know for sure is going to be to shoot a few rolls and see what you get from it.

I am, however, going to bet that battery is still made though as the batteries of the day were somewhat standard and Leicas were using batteries at that time, and you can still get batteries for those, albeit you have to call a place like b&h to get them.  If you live in an area with a classic camera dealer she might take it in to them to have the condition better evaluated, plus to help figure out what the battery is.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:15:53 AM »
great...I was hoping you would help out johnny, I was taking bets(in my head) as to if you or damon would be the first to respond...I had you at 3-1 odds....haha...

+t for the help..and thanx a ton!!!
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:19:13 AM »
great...I was hoping you would help out johnny, I was taking bets(in my head) as to if you or damon would be the first to respond...I had you at 3-1 odds....haha...

+t for the help..and thanx a ton!!!

google is a wonderful tool, eh jonny?  :P

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:23:10 AM »
it is indeed, though carrie, my ex has one that i have played with.  they really are that intermediate step away from a rangefinder but towards an slr.  this is one of the earlier cameras where you are looking through the lens itself, but the shutter slap is way less than it has become due to the lack of speed available at the time still.  you will also notice that the bottom bracket for film loading is really a leica-esque characteristic, though others used it too.  somewhere in the 70s that kind of disappeared, and as anyone who has ever loaded with that bottom bracket has ever noticed- its a royal pain. 

so my usage history is anecdotal, though i love old cameras.  i really want to try some of the old school medium format stuff still, but it's expensive and right now I have some more practical photo needs first.

damon- there is an alexandria photo shoot that matt and i are going on- you are more than welcome to join :)

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 10:26:32 AM »
I found that exact manual online...haha...thanx....but i wasnt sure that the boyonet(sp?) was an actuall mount type...or just a generic term used for interchangeable.  thanx again for the help...i already showed her that link...and she is thinking HARD about bidding....she is happy...thanx guys! 
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 10:34:03 AM »
next question...do you guys know of any REALLY good starter books for a beginning photographer...something simple..but expaining stuff like the rule of thirds and what not??  I took a photo class in college, but didnt keep my book(DUMBASS), and cant remember what it was...so any suggestions for her would be great...I have found a few on amazon, but dont know if they are good or not...and i didnt recognize any as the one I used...I really liked that one....
Auditory
it's magic 

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:35:09 AM »
my favorite basic quick guide is the national geographic field guide to photography

they make a digital one too, but both are great.  it's very direct, to the point, and has good tips on basic composition.  a good place to start.  plus it is small so you can keep it with you when you are out shooting.

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 10:36:45 AM »
damn this 12 hr thing! thanx again...IN 12!  I may get two of these!
Auditory
it's magic 

BobW

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 08:38:41 PM »
www.shutterbug.com  is great for antiques, but be forewarned, you'll be wanting a folding press camera with a Schneider lens before you log off.

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »
thanx for the link ohm..ill check that out and send her the link too..+t
Auditory
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com