Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder  (Read 114902 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-100mkIII NEW Unreleased Recorder
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 06:51:56 AM »
Here's the link to the manual in English:

https://tascam.jp/downloads/products/tascam/dr-100mkiii/DR-100MK3_OM_vA.pdf

UPDATE: This is not the full manual, but a quick guide. I've only found the full manual in Japanese:

https://tascam.jp/downloads/products/tascam/dr-100mkiii/J_DR-100MK3_RM_vA.pdf
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:39:17 AM by dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »
if the mkIII has a dual-record function..  is it a 4-channel recorder??
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 01:28:38 AM »
I really dig it, and for the right price, would be a nice 2 channel option to run my vms or PFAs into! But I wish these companies would give up on the external mics attached to the decks, and just release a straight recorder, but they're getting smaller than ever, so whatevs lol ;D

Wonder what USA price will be like though?

Also, I really like the L/Stereo/R "Input Level" switch on the front, so you can link/gang your gain for both channels, or adjust separately! That's pretty cool, since most of these style decks only have a stereo link gain knob/switch/etc. That would be perfect for me personally running VMS->dr100mkiii, since the vms only has a single gain knob[+20db/+40db], I could easily fine tune the L/R VMS levels on the 100mkiii, just like I can on my 70D's! That makes this much more attractable to me! Plus it has the HDDA preamps that the other, newer, DR-Series decks have, that sound more than adequate for louder taping situations IMO! Guess it will come down to how much $$ they want for it! Seems like it looks a little like the new Marantz PMD551, doesn't it? Anyone else see that resemblance?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:36:00 AM by F.O.Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 02:27:07 AM »
Bean you can find it on ebay for around $700+ USD.

They should be released worldwide in fall and the price will be $500 USD

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 03:21:08 AM »
Bean you can find it on ebay for around $700+ USD.

They should be released worldwide in fall and the price will be $500 USD

+T Thanks for the info 8)

A little much $$ at the present time for me personally, but when it goes down in price, it will def be a sweet lil 2 channel rig! I really like all of the features that it has!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2016, 05:56:50 AM »
'Bout time someone released a recorder with Koonshitsu!!!

Did anyone ever translate that?

Compressed sound quality?
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2016, 08:10:25 AM »
'Bout time someone released a recorder with Koonshitsu!!!

Compressed sound quality?

That must be the "modern big-label mastering" processing option.  :bawling:
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2016, 01:17:55 PM »
$500 is far too much IMO - $300 would be a more reasonable amount for this recorder

If it recorded DSD maybe $500 would be ok - but that's a maybe

too bad the D100 is about $400 overpriced as well

I would consider a PCM-D100 for $400 and this unit w/o DSD for $300

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jeenash

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »
I wonder if they have altered the firmware to accept "professional" SPDIF signals?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 04:23:41 PM »
$500 is far too much IMO - $300 would be a more reasonable amount for this recorder

If it recorded DSD maybe $500 would be ok - but that's a maybe

too bad the D100 is about $400 overpriced as well

I would consider a PCM-D100 for $400 and this unit w/o DSD for $300

Agreed with all of this except for DSD, which is a flawed format.  I believe the fallacy that it's somehow better than 24/192 (or even 24/96) PCM is how Sony and others try to justify the high prices.

I look at all of the true professional field recorders out there from the likes of Aeta, SD, Zaxcom, Nagra, etc. and I don't see them offering DSD.  (I'm sure someone will correct me if I missed one. ) That tells me all I need to know.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2016, 06:40:16 PM »
if the mkIII has a dual-record function..  is it a 4-channel recorder??

Unfortunately for us, Tascam must no longer see a value in offering that particular dual-record feature on these recorders anymore, as this unit doesn't appear to include that functionality.  I guess that's no Koonshitsu.

There is no mention of DUAL_LINE record mode (Tascam terminology for the dual-record function which enables recording of separate stereo inputs to two individual stereo files) in the quick guide that dogmusic linked a few posts back, only mention of what they've previously termed DUAL_LEVEL (the dual-record function which enables recording a single stereo input to two individual stereo files, the second recorded at lower input levels as a 'safety track'). Could be available but not mentioned in the quick-guide, but it's not hinted at nor in the list of features.  Could conceivably be added with a firmware update later, as the physical components are all in place to allow it.

Gain adjustment and level display seem good.  Presumably gain is via a digital PGA, yet controlled using the side knob pot (presumably an endless-rotation encoder), with the ability to adjust either channel independently or both together (linked/ganged) depending on the position of the L/Stereo/R input level switch.  Display indicates signal level in typical bar-graph form as well as peak level in numeric form (a feature I really like in the DR2d, unfortunately not present in the DR-680), as well as the input gain setting for each channel.  I presume the lock position labeled "level" locks all controls except the rotary input level encoder on the side (and I'd hope possibly the L/Stereo/R input level switch as well).

The other two most interesting new features I see are:

1) The ability to set the phantom power voltage, presumably as a way of increasing battery run time when using microphones which can function fine with less than 48V. But there is no mention of any adjustability for PIP voltage, which would be a very welcome feature allowing users to bump PIP up to 9V from the typical 2.5 or 3V and eliminate the need for a battery box.

2) The use of the 'extra' ADC channels to increase S/N from 103dB to 109dB.  As I see it, this is most important technical performance improvement. I'd have to look it up, but I think that's about the same S/N performance as the two channel Sound Devices recorders. If the recorder actually meets that spec, it means a 24 bit recording made with this machine is capable of encoding something like between 18 and 19 bits worth of actual dynamic range, rather than writing a nominal 24 bit file which contains little more than 16 bits worth of actual signal range along with 12 or so bits of nothing but noise at the bottom just above the least significant bit.

Use of that function presumably supersedes the dual-level feature as both functions make use of the additional ADC channels.  Meaning the user can choose between either dual-level or the increased S/N function but not both.  In actual use, the increased S/N function effectively does the same as recording using the dual-level function set to -6dB, except eliminating the need to record, manage, and edit a second stereo file.  Just turn on the increase S/N function and set your levels 6dB lower than normal without affecting the noise floor..  I suppose the dual-level function is still useful if set for greater than -6dB relative levels recorded to the safety tracks, but to my way of thinking that dual-level function has always been little more than a newbe crutch anyway.  If it actually meets the spec, the ability to get a 109dB S/N from this recorder is a significant performance jump for Tascam. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:45:23 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »
For item 2 above - I wonder if Zaxcom will attempt to pull legal stunt on Tascam the same way they did on Sonosax

Sonosax uses 2 AD channels per analog channel to get to 135db on it's AD8+ and R4+ which Zaxcom claims to have patented (Neverclip) here in the states - forcing Sonosax to disable on of the channels on the stateside version (in firmware) - this limits it to 127db

I personally will never consider Zaxcom because of this bs - the idea has been around for almost 30 years and has been implemented in designs for almost as long.

109db is nowhere close to 135db so I don't see this happening
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
Yep, the Zaxcom patent infringement issue comes immediately to mind.

Similar US patent issues has kept Tascam from sellling the DR-10C in the USA- http://tascam.com/product/dr-10c/. Note the warning in red on that webpage stating: "Attention : These models are not available in the US."  In that case I believe the patent infringement concerns local recording in the device prior to wireless transmission to a main recorder, even though the device has no transmitter functionality, and is intended to be used up-stream of a separate TX device.  Tascam does sell the DR-10X in the USA- http://tascam.com/product/dr-10x/, which is identical except for featuring no output connector (and featuring a full sized XLR input instead of mini-XLR, as it's intended to plug directly into a dynamic mic).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »
I presume the lock position labeled "level" locks all controls except the rotary input level encoder on the side.

I believe it's the opposite of that^. The HOLD/lock position labeled "level" locks only the rotary input level encoder on the side. Movement of the control is ignored.

This is from page 8 of the Guide:

HOLD function for preventing accidental operation
You can slide the HOLD switch to LEVEL or ALL to enable the hold function that prevents accidental operation.
ALL: operations of the input level knob and all buttons are ignored
LEVEL: Operations of the input level knob are ignored
OFF: hold function is off
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 09:17:10 AM »
I suppose there is an argument for either way, but I'd think most here would prefer it lock the transport buttons and leave the input gain adjustable.  Would be nice if that functionality could be determined by a menu setting.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com