Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: buying a laptop  (Read 4165 times)

Tim

• Trade Count: (0)
buying a laptop
« on: April 30, 2003, 05:40:34 PM »
okay, at some point in the next few months I am buying a laptop. I won't be using it to tape but I would like to do transfers on it.

I'm thinking I want at least 256mb RAM, 40gb HD, and firewire capabilities. Do they make DVD-R drives for laptops? Oh yeah.. this will be running some version of Windows, any recommendations on what is the best version for audio?

I know the VIAO is highly recommended.. does anyone have any other ideas? What are some good places to look for VIAO's?  

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re:buying a laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 10:58:32 AM »
You mention transfers. But what else will you use it for? Is portability the real reason (meaning will you need to haul it around all the time). I use mine for taping as well as work (they paid half so I guess I should do some work with it). I can lead you to a very good deal on a 2.4 ghz P4 with 512 DDR 40 GB HD. 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 Firewire. NIC card DVD/CDRW combo burner runs about $1,300. It's not a true laptop, in that it's termed a desktop replacement. I only use it for taping and since I'm already hauling abunch of gear the extra weight is not such a big deal, Plus it's rugged. The akward part is the external batteries it runs. They will last 3 hrs each. I have 2 and switch at set break. Works great. I know the vaio's are a top choice. But the limited stuff on them and the fact they cost quite a bit more. They are nice and light. The new intel mobile chip if they run them is supposed to be a huge battery saver. At some point I may look for another with the new chip. SUpposed to give 8 hrs out of a battery that would give a P4m chip 4 hours of battery time. I can't remember the name of the new chip. It something like certino?
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Tim

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 04:32:59 PM »
That sounds very interesting. I will use it for school meaning msword and the internet. I need the ability to use a wireless lan card with it too..

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 04:52:52 PM »
You would have to run a usb wireless adapter. Thats what I use at home. Also the batteries are external, which is awkward but for me using it for taping it works great. If you looking check half.com on ebay. It's where I got mine from a company called x-technology. They are in Cleveland. The actual brand name is called Desk Note. There are afew on half.com selling them in various configs.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com