Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: loss of free HDTV channels - how do I get them back?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
loss of free HDTV channels - how do I get them back?
« on: January 14, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
In late Nov. '07 I purchased a Samsung LN-T3253H 32" LCD HDTV. It has an integrated ATSC Digital tv tuner, which allows me to receive local free HDTV content (is this what allows me to view the free HD content?). Anyway, I was able to view several stations in HD (abc, nbc, cbs, fox, wvia, cw11) plus 40+ channels of digital music (music choice) which was really nice, especially viewing NFL football games and sports in general. A few weeks ago, let's just say the start of the new year, all of a sudden most of the freebie HD channels won't work. Now I still receive the 40+ channels of digital music and I can still view the cw11 (geez thanks) in HD but my other channels don't display video or audio. When I check the signal strength, it's either weak or none. The LAN or LNA setting is turned on - boost signal feature. I can't figure out what happened. Maybe a coincidence, but all of a sudden my cell phone reception around the house is really weak or no service. Well, one thing at a time. How can I boost the signal on my tv to get better HD reception without breaking the bank? I don't want to make the move to digital cable as only one tv in the house is able to receive and display HD.

Wait a minute, any chance a wireless router could be causing interference with the free incoming HD signal and cell phone reception?
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: loss of free HDTV channels - how do I get them back?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »
WiFi operates in the 2.4 GHz range, normal Television signals are in the 50-900 Mhz range, so it is a completely different band and should not cause the problem you are seeing.  Are you getting your television signal from an antenna or through cable? 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »
I'm assuming you were receiving these channels over Clear QAM cable?  Saying you have an ATSC tuner means little in this regard, unless you were using an antenna (in which case you probably wouldn't get digital music channels).

Try a new scan - it's possible your cable company remapped your HD channels somewhere else.  Also, try www.avsforum.com to see if anyone else in your area had the same thing happen.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline modmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
Try "Searching for Channels" (auto channel search) from your set's setup menu.
Time Warner Cable has moved the HD channels here twice since getting my set.

I am running the raw Cable RF into the antenna input of my HDTV set.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:14:57 PM by modmike »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 12:37:10 PM »
time warner plays games with you too
i got ALL hd channels from them with the box, then switched to cable cards and lost 3 channels along with all showtimes and all west coast hbo
the tech flat out told me they do this because the box they can charge more for so they try and get you to use it over the cable card

not that this is the case for you but something along those lines could be
so i wouldn't be suprized if they made it so you needed the box to view them from now on
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »
i got ALL hd channels from them with the box, then switched to cable cards and lost 3 channels along with all showtimes and all west coast hbo
the tech flat out told me they do this because the box they can charge more for so they try and get you to use it over the cable card

so i wouldn't be suprized if they made it so you needed the box to view them from now on

They're legally required to send the local network affiliates without encryption, so you should still be able to pick those up (they were probably just moved to a different frequency).

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »
i get the HD stations via a terk amplified antenna that i picked up last week. works like a charm
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Kush

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
I'm assuming you were receiving these channels over Clear QAM cable?

This is what I was trying to say but couldn't remember the correct glossary term, thanks. As you can tell I'm a newbie when it comes to HD TV.

I'm going to try and re-program the tv later tonight (Auto scan for channels). I went to this site: http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/channels searched my zipcode, and found the channels I should receive over QAM. Seems like there are quite a few I didn't receive from the get-go but it doesn't look like they moved any of the channel positions (off the top of my head).

I will report back once I have done some testing, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This place (ts.com) is excellent, +T's all around.

Maybe I will have to look into one of those antennas Ian mentions.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »

They're legally required to send the local network affiliates without encryption, so you should still be able to pick those up (they were probably just moved to a different frequency).
true
but they are also required by law to have a firewire port active on the box and they don't on any of the boxes in my area
crazy thing is at avs some people report active ports in areas and other don't in areas - seems like they would be the at least consistent to me

the one thing i do know...
i can't wait for fios tv in my area so i can be done with twc
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

true
but they are also required by law to have a firewire port active on the box and they don't on any of the boxes in my area
crazy thing is at avs some people report active ports in areas and other don't in areas - seems like they would be the at least consistent to me

the one thing i do know...
i can't wait for fios tv in my area so i can be done with twc

Just got a notice on my door that the neighborhood upgrades are complete and that Fios will be available to me in the very near future.  Definitely going to give it a good look!

Offline Kush

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 06:16:50 PM »
Thanks to all of you who helped me solve an easily overlooked solution, the cable company moved the HD channel positions. I did an auto channel search and everything is good now. +T again in 12!

Kush

Offline modmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »
Time Warner just moved both my ABC-TV and CBS-TV High Def stations to encrypted channels. 

Would somebody post a link to the FCC must carry rule that mandates these be carried on clear qam channels?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com