Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sound for video  (Read 2872 times)

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
sound for video
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:22:38 PM »
posting for a friend - video is not my thing.

i gave him my oscar sound mics and now we're trying to figure out the most economical way to record sound for videos. it looks like the quality wireless transmitters are over budget. we were thinking of using pocket recorders with timecode, but it looks like most of these recorders do not have timecode. are there any budget(y) recorders like the teac, roland, edirol, etc that do timecode? i think for dialogue the inbuilt  preamps are decent enough.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: sound for video
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
Nothing in the budget range has timecode that I've seen. certainly nothing like a Sony M10 or Tascam DR-60D.

Very minute drift (as in clock differences) aren't nearly as apparent over periods of time when syncing video and audio as if you're syncing two audio sources.  Is it required that you have timecode on the recorder? Because if it's not, a program like Plural Eyes can do an amazing job syncing up video and audio just based on characteristics the two sources have in common. Timecode isn't necessarily required to do this.

So my recommendation would be to see if Plural Eyes can help bridge the gap here. I use it with Sony Vegas Pro to sync video from multiple cameras with my primary audio source and it's a life saver.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:11:30 PM »
Plural Eyes rules!  Best plugin I've ever bought.  Recommended!!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
As stated PE3 or if you have Final Cut Pro, mac has a synch built in and it is awesome but if you want even easier and low budget run line out directly to the camcorder, assuming it has an input jack
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »
Always record in 48. You can also always use the old fashioned way, slate the front and tail of each shot. Or just clap your hands on the video. Makes for easy manual sync in post generally speaking, but depends on what you are shooting. Plural eyes is good too, but you can still have drift if not time code locked, so sync head slate, then stretching the audio a tiny bit to sync the tail slate works great most of the time. A bit old school, but I use this for music and documentary interviews all the time to great success in low budge way.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »
To my knowledge, the budget recorders with time code are the edirol r4 pro, tascam psh2, Roland r88, and sound devices 702t.  I think fostex used to make one.  New retail prices around $2000 USD.  Hence the reasons for the prior posts to use other recorders and sync manually or via software. 

Besides a slate, a dog clicker also works.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com