Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 30v or 48v mini to XLR Sound Pros phantom cable  (Read 2630 times)

Offline jbsalt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Call the Shots Video Productions
30v or 48v mini to XLR Sound Pros phantom cable
« on: July 26, 2006, 06:14:47 PM »
I need to buy one of SPs mini to XLR cables to go between my AT-953 mics and my AD-20.  Sound Pros offers a phantom powered version of this cable at either 30v or 48v.  Here's the link to the cable:  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-XLRM-MINI-2

Should I go with the 30v or the 48v phantom cable?  Do I need the phantom with the AD-20 with this rig and the iRiver H120?  Taping Rock in arenas. 

I also need a cable to go from the AD-20 to my iRiver's optical in.  Should I just go with this one?:  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TMOC-RA or does someone else make a more sturdy cable.  I'm stealthing everything so I am most concerned about breaking off a cable as well as stealthiness....

To further complicate matters, I also have an SPSB-6 battery box with bass roll off and volume control that I have been using for analog recordings between my mics and iRiver.  I know that there is some concern that the AD-20 has a minimum gain of like what 17db....  perhaps that battery box could be used to attenuate the input a bit right after the mics...  I kind wanted to stay away from having this massive chain of stuff though..

Thanks and sorry for the boring digital newbie novel.

???
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 06:21:30 PM by jbsalt »
CMC-8> AD-20> iRiver H120

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re: 30v or 48v mini to XLR Sound Pros phantom cable
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 06:43:45 PM »
To use the phantom cables you would need a phantom power source such as the PS2.  Going phantom would just bypass the battery box, would allow you to handle higher SPLs.

Did you purchase the AD20 from Sound Professionals? Does it have the mini mod?

To get the AD20 into the mix w/o buying a phantom power source you will still be using your battery box. 

mics > BB > Female mine to dual XLR > AD20 > optical cable > iriver

If you are looking to upgrade from the batterybox I would look into having someone modify your mics (un-modify actually) and pick up a 3wire battery box.  Lots of options so fire away and I'm sure folks will put in their 2Cents

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline jbsalt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:45:13 PM »
Thanks.  Stock AD-20.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:53:49 PM »
mics > BB >  AD20 > optical cable > iriver Is what I run when I run the AD20, which I haven't done in a long time.  I just don't run the AD20 because of the "hiding" requirements.  I should get it back out, I think it helps a good bit with the sound.  My shows lately have been lacking, maybe I have been in crappy locations.  I modded my AD20 to take the 1/8" input by pulling the XLR contacts out of the box replacing them with the mini jack.  I got rid of 1 somewhat bulky cable that way.  My plan now is to mod my AT853s that came from Sound Pros to have the mini XLRs so I can do an adaptor to go phantom with the Samson adaptors or 3 wire battery box, which I have yet to get all the parts for.  I am not familiar with many power supplies, a lot of guys use more of an all in one that has phantom and outputs a digital signal instead of 2 seperate units.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline jbsalt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:15:52 AM »
Too bad they don't make a mini to XLR cable with battery power built in... 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com