Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1/8" or 3.5 mm  (Read 2904 times)

Offline drewski1986

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
1/8" or 3.5 mm
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:47:50 AM »
I have an R-09 coming soon and was wondering about the input jack.  The edirol website says it has a 1/8" jack.  When I do the conversion this comes to 3.175 mm.  Do I need to make sure I get a 1/8 jack and not a 3.5 mm jack or is the difference so small it will not matter?  Also since I am a newbie, why or how do right angle plugs put less stress on the input jacks?  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
Re: 1/8" or 3.5 mm
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
Right angle plugs put less stress on the input.  Meaning it decreases the coefficient of workload on the plug itself, by increasing its moment arm.  For example, say someone has injured there Right leg and they need to walk with a cane, what hand would you put the cane in order to walk effeciently?  If the Right leg is injured then the cane would be in the Left hand--why because when the cane is in the Left Hand you increase the moment arm of your leg bone on the right side thus decreasing stress on the injured leg.  Same as the right plug--at the moment of the right angle is the greatest of tension--NOT at the input at the edirol r-09.

for example, if you seen the show HOUSE, you know Dr. House uses a cane but he puts it in the wrong hand--notice how awkward and more energy he needs to walk around.  again due to his character traits, he is defiant in doing the most obvious things in order to be beneficial.

Like a push up also, if you have your arms straight--meaning you have completed the push up--most of your weight/force pressure is on your hands ( the input of the r-09), but know bend your arms slightly know the pressure goes thru your elbows( right angle of plug) decreasing the amount of stress placed on the hands.  The right angle of the plug takes the stress, making less stress at then point of the input jack.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:46:56 AM by bluntforcetrauma »

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:48:02 AM »
I have an R-09 coming soon and was wondering about the input jack.  The edirol website says it has a 1/8" jack.  When I do the conversion this comes to 3.175 mm.  Do I need to make sure I get a 1/8 jack and not a 3.5 mm jack or is the difference so small it will not matter?  Also since I am a newbie, why or how do right angle plugs put less stress on the input jacks?  Thanks for any help you can give me.

3.5mm and 1/8" is the same. In europe the term 1/8" is hardly used. In the US the opposite? Darn metric systems :)
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:55:37 AM »
One day the US will go metric....one day!!
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:37:53 AM »
and we are waiting for that! Cookbooks are a *big* problem [said by an european with american wife]  :D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com