Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: xACT 2.0  (Read 29694 times)

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: xACT 2.0
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
thx again for the program-it makes what we do very easy on the apple platform...

three requests, if i may be so bold...

1-can you make it so the checksums can be done recursively..? tlh does this, for example. I ask because when doing four channels with the r-44, the machine names ch1-2 wav "1" and ch 3-4 wav "2" and then puts these into directories; every time the wav splits at 2gigs, the r-44 creates a new directory, and drops the 1.wav and 2.wav files in. when recording two sets at 24/96, this makes at least four directories. so I then have to make st5 files four+ times from the card on the r-44, and then check each one seperately from the hard drive. if the checksums were made recursively, I could make one checksum (dragging all pjt dirs in at once), save it to the parent dir on the hd, and the just run that same checksum once to check the transfer went correctly. I tried doing this, but all the checksums showed the same, so I think it just ran the first set of wavs four times...

2-is there a way to add replaygain for 24 bit files? I get an error when I try to add replaygain to those files now...

3-is there a way to view tags, and subsequently add/edit them..?

thanks so much for reading. like I said, the program is an indespensible tool for the apple platform.

now, if I can just find a way to make my txt files format line returns properly, without having to open them on windows wordpad and then saving, i would be done with windows forever...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »

Select the tags tab and drop a file in the area there, the tags show up (at least it does on mine; v2.21)

now, if I can just find a way to make my txt files format line returns properly, without having to open them on windows wordpad and then saving, i would be done with windows forever...

look into a converter app. You're not the first person to run into that.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »

Select the tags tab and drop a file in the area there, the tags show up (at least it does on mine; v2.21)

look into a converter app. You're not the first person to run into that.

Textedit works fine with a twist. If you start from scratch it wants you to save as rtf, but if you open a txt you can rename it etc. and it will still stay txt. So I just open the last one I used, make changes, rename and it works fine. LMA never recognized my MS Office txt files, but ones made this way work perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:42:32 PM by bryonsos »
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »
goto textedit prefs and you can change it to save as .txt (plain text) instead of .rtf (rich)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
goto textedit prefs and you can change it to save as .txt (plain text) instead of .rtf (rich)
i have done this, but it still doesn't fix the line return issue...
-macdaddy ++

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »

Good to know, thanks!

i have done this, but it still doesn't fix the line return issue...

My workaround should still work though. It actually makes life a little easier in a way, since I don't have to recreate the overall layout or source and lineage info. Just open one that you know uses correct returns, and that LMA recognizes for importing the metadata and edit.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:44:48 AM by bryonsos »
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »
I get it, and thanks. And I have done this in the past. this issue affects the checksums made by xact, too (which is why I mentioned it in this thread). i wish there was a setting somewhere in osx to properly rectify this in both this program and textedit, but I guess there isn't. Thx for the suggested workaround-I will implement it more frequently, as it seems to be the only option atm.

+t
-macdaddy ++

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
thx again for the program-it makes what we do very easy on the apple platform...

three requests, if i may be so bold...

1-can you make it so the checksums can be done recursively..? tlh does this, for example. I ask because when doing four channels with the r-44, the machine names ch1-2 wav "1" and ch 3-4 wav "2" and then puts these into directories; every time the wav splits at 2gigs, the r-44 creates a new directory, and drops the 1.wav and 2.wav files in. when recording two sets at 24/96, this makes at least four directories. so I then have to make st5 files four+ times from the card on the r-44, and then check each one seperately from the hard drive. if the checksums were made recursively, I could make one checksum (dragging all pjt dirs in at once), save it to the parent dir on the hd, and the just run that same checksum once to check the transfer went correctly. I tried doing this, but all the checksums showed the same, so I think it just ran the first set of wavs four times...

2-is there a way to add replaygain for 24 bit files? I get an error when I try to add replaygain to those files now...

thanks so much for reading. like I said, the program is an indespensible tool for the apple platform.

1 - are you saying have files from multiple directories in 1 md5/stf/flac fingerprint?  Is that "standard?"  I've never seen directory names in these files, but maybe I'm totally wrong about this

2- flac documentation:
--replay-gain    Calculate ReplayGain values and store them as FLAC tags, similar to VorbisGain. Title gains/peaks will be computed for each input file, and an album gain/peak will be computed for all files. All input files must have the same resolution, sample rate, and number of channels. Only mono and stereo files are allowed, and the sample rate must be one of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz. Also note that this option may leave a few extra bytes in a PADDING block as the exact size of the tags is not known until all files are processed.

Note that this option cannot be used when encoding to standard output (stdout).

3 - Page covered this

Offline nardo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 08:11:44 AM »
In my experience, if you do Shift+Return as opposed to just Return for linebreaks, you get the "Windows-linebreak" on a Mac. It's how I do most of my .txt files for shows because otherwise there are no linebreaks in the info fields if I upload to torrent sites like Dime.

Otherwise, as I think I recommended in another topic before (at least I planned on doing so), there is the editor Smultron which is freeware up until version 3.5.1, it let's you chose your standard linebreak (Unix LF, Mac CR, Windows CRLF).

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 03:49:13 AM »
Xact 2.23

Am I missing the setting to decide what format CDs are extracted to..? Is there a way to set it to rip a cd to mp3, and specify the encoding setting..?

Thx
-macdaddy ++

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 07:27:47 AM »
it's just wav.  I would love to remove the cd ripping code from xACT, but it's probably too late. I put it in years ago when there wasn't another cdparanoia alternative for OS X. It was always a horrible hack but it worked for basic extraction.

But even I don't use it.  I use XLD for extraction since he uses the latest paranoia libraries and even wrote his own paranoia/eac like extraction

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »
I use XLD for extraction since he uses the latest paranoia libraries and even wrote his own paranoia/eac like extraction

qft
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am a relative Mac OS n00b-either of you have a link to the developer site..? Thanks, in advance.
-macdaddy ++

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am a relative Mac OS n00b-either of you have a link to the developer site..? Thanks, in advance.

download link:
https://code.google.com/p/xld/

left hand side of that is a link to their homepage;
http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »
+t

Thanks so much. I have a stack of discs to rip, including a few double disc sets, so I will get cracking with this new (to me) program this weekend. I appreciate the help, and i am sorry to have bombed your xact thread, scb.

-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com