Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WAV file error 0 bytes - SOLVED !  (Read 47142 times)

Offline Andrea82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The 1st and only italian site about Eric Clapton
WAV file error 0 bytes - SOLVED !
« on: March 22, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
Hi, I need your help please!!
Yesterday I recorded a show, when I return at home I see the second file is 0 bytes.  :'(
I run in dual mode with the tascam dr2d, the first files are 3,99 GB.
When I look at the SD card, I see that the space occupied is 5,95 GB !!!!
So the 1,96 GB that should be the 2nd set are still in the SD , I think so !

I try with wavfix, but the program can't read the header from that file  :'(  :'(
Please help me, I would like to listen again the 2nd set !!!

Many thanks to all that can help me please.
I attach two files for better understand the question about the space in the memory card.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:07:10 AM by Andrea82 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: WAV file error 0 bytes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
First step is to get the data off the card.  Next, recover the file.  Good news:  you're not the first to run into the 0 byte file issue, and it's usually recoverable.

Somewhere in this thread -- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117279.0 -- should be links to a few threads discussins options for recovering / repairing your file(s).  Good luck!  And let us know how it turns out.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
Thanks Brian for the reply.
I started to read the topic http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,53521.0.html

I do chkdsk /f and it find 2 files "with problem" and it fix 1,95 GB, that there are the space total of the file that I try to recover.
I check again the folder, but the file are still at 0 Kb, but I think this is the right way.
How can I use audiohck?

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
First step is to get the data off the card.  Next, recover the file.  Good news:  you're not the first to run into the 0 byte file issue, and it's usually recoverable.

Somewhere in this thread -- http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117279.0 -- should be links to a few threads discussins options for recovering / repairing your file(s).  Good luck!  And let us know how it turns out.

I saved my recording !!!!  ;D  ;)  :D

This is what I do (many thanks to TimeBandit) :

Quote from: TimeBandit on June 27, 2012, 10:50:00 AM

My Dr-5 had also an issue with some Transcend cards, but i was able to rescure the recordings with the "0 Byte" file size:

1. run chkdsk :[drive letter] /f on the card
    2. search for the .chk file that was created on your hard drive (maybe it is hidden by the windows machine, i used a knoppix boot disk to make it viewable) and rename that .chk to .wav
    3. use "audiohack"; audiohack /N [file.wav]
    4. import the created .raw file to an audio editor (use raw import, not open), like import raw in audacity, usually the machine records "little endian", and choose sample frequency and bit depth you did in the recording
    5. now you`ve got the file back (or most of the file until the moment the machine crashed), and go on like normal (mastering if neccessary, then export to Wave, Flac etc ...)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:08:40 AM by Andrea82 »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: WAV file error 0 bytes - SOLVED !
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
Congratulations on getting your file back.

Just so that you and others know, to see a hidden file in Windows you don't need to boot a separate operating system. You can set your Windows options so that hidden files and folders are displayed (using the "View" tab under Tools.Folder Options), or if you want to go "old school" you can open a command window (choose Run from the Start menu, type "cmd"), navigate to the drive and folder, and type "dir /a" to see all files and folders regardless of their possible "hidden" status.

--best regards
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:44:29 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:55:33 AM »
Congratulations on getting your file back.

Just so that you and others know, to see a hidden file in Windows you don't need to boot a separate operating system. You can set your Windows options so that hidden files and folders are displayed (using the "View" tab under Tools.Folder Options), or if you want to go "old school" you can open a command window (choose Run from the Start menu, type "cmd"), navigate to the drive and folder, and type "dir /a" to see all files and folders regardless of their possible "hidden" status.

--best regards

Yes, you're right, in fact I don't used a knoppix boot disk, but only I search the files on Windows  :)

Offline Example

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:56:43 PM »
Hi there, I am need of help.  :(

I'm a layman when it comes to computer matters. So I need someone with patience to help me.

I have the same problem as the person who started this thread but it was recorded with a Tascam DR-05 and I have a macbook.

I have no idea what programs I would need to help me with this issue.

The recording is of an event I ran with my first international DJ, who happens to be my personal favourites, so I'm desperate to recover it.

If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated.

Offline gemini33

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:09:37 AM »
WOO! I ejected my SD card while I was still recording with my Tascam-DR 100mkii, and I corrupted the file to zero bytes... FINALLY got this to work and wanted to post my thanks!

Here's what I did

2. search for the .chk file that was created on your hard drive (maybe it is hidden by the windows machine, i used a knoppix boot disk to make it viewable) and rename that .chk to .wav
4. import the created .raw file to an audio editor (use raw import, not open), like import raw in audacity, usually the machine records "little endian", and choose sample frequency and bit depth you did in the recording
5. now you`ve got the file back (or most of the file until the moment the machine crashed), and go on like normal (mastering if neccessary, then export to Wave, Flac etc ...)

If you don't have audiohack email me through the forum and I can help you find it/send it to you.

df

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 11:51:49 PM »
WOO! I ejected my SD card while I was still recording with my Tascam-DR 100mkii, and I corrupted the file to zero bytes... FINALLY got this to work and wanted to post my thanks!

Here's what I did

If you don't have audiohack email me through the forum and I can help you find it/send it to you.

I have 0 byte file using DR-100 mk2 (internal battery died).  Anyone know how to attempt a recovery with a mac?  This was a paying gig, so hope I can recover this one.

I've had a similar issue with the R-05 and the built-in repair/recover feature worked ok.

I am researching this now, but if anyone can help with this please post or send me a message asap.  Need to recover this if possible in the next 24-48 hours.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:23:05 AM by df »

df

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 02:40:13 PM »
bump.

I found Audiohack for mac, but no success yet.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 12:47:49 AM »
if you can find FIXWAV, a friend used it and it worked. Also, you might try importing the file into Audacity as RAW and see if that helps?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 12:51:12 AM »
This info just helped me recover my second set from David Gilmour.  Great info.

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 02:51:35 PM »
This info just helped me recover my second set from David Gilmour.  Great info.

Great!! I'm happy you recovered your DG recording (that now I'm listening, excellent)!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com