Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ridiculous Overhead Rigs  (Read 3143 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Ridiculous Overhead Rigs
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:16:09 AM »
OK,... there is this "professional" recording forum, where it seems that there is a right of passage, that of recording in DeccaTree.
To that end, there have been some ridiculous rigs posted that, IMO, threaten the very safety of the patronage at concerts.

So, I'll start this with a bit of ridiculousness that I found in a random internet search while looking for silly "Tree" rigs, below.

In this image,... there is a DeccaTree.  To support that DeccaTree is an outlandish array of a higher "T-Bar" that has cables on it that reach down to support the DeccaTree.  That higher T-Bar is counterweighted by a massive rearward counterweight. And, in all likeliness, 30lbs of sandbags on the floor, on the base of the mic stand.

mfrench

Re: Ridiculous Overhead Rigs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »
And, some more,....
This pic is a 'Tree rig that I was shaded by for a weekend.
Look at how far forward the mic stand shaft is distorting to.
On the forward extension is a DPA 130v omni at the point, and, a pair of 4011 cards as XY on a Shure stereo bar; Yep, a Shure sterreo bar on the forward extension, rather than on the main mic stand shaft.

I work quite regularly in the shade of these overhead structures.
My rigs in this mess: Binaural head, on stage, and the short stereo array mic stand immeidately behind the 'Tree stand.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:34:24 AM by Moke »

mfrench

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
And,... shall we continue with the ridiculous?

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
Ha!  Almost like the jungle-gym at the playground.  Imagining some toddler attempting to climb those things.  Some are just nuts.

This is where live music taping serves a crucible in which a balance is forged between possibility and practicality/safety.   You are working at the outlier edge of the envelope, dodging Jarts thrown from the merry-go-round.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »
Alexander Calder would be proud of some of these rigs...
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

mfrench

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »
Like I said, I work around them quite regularly.  This next one was one that was a regular.  I would not consider this to be of the ridiculous rigs; rather, this one is well thought out.
I clamped to this rig quite often, as it was a well thought out, very stable rig. Mine is the NOS pair on center.
The concept behind this one is DeccaTree, but, rather than have that forward reach, Barry would delay the flanks by a matter of a millisecond or two, to achieve that timing offset.
This 'tree is a Royer stereo ribbon on point, as M/S; and a pair of EW QTC1 omnis as flanks.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:27:57 PM »

Jeebus! Talk about getting in peoples sightlines!

I get funny looks when I start unfolding my articulated arm, attaching the superclamp and get up on a bar stool to clamp my mics to a conduit or beam or something - then when the cables are run and all secured and people realize that I'm doing the best to stay out of the way.

I couldn't imagine being allowed to set up such a thing at a show.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

mfrench

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »
In regards to what we do with the Hutchins Consort,... the fan base has grown up with us recording them, from nearly day one. 
I'm going through and refreshing my best used by date by 15 years over this past week. I've been taking my earliest recordings, which were DAT-> CDR, and I've been extracting the CDR data, and creating FLAC discs on DVD-R.  They only did a couple of shows before I started recording them.  So, now we've got 15 years of their performances archived. Point being lost,... their fan base has grown up with us recording them; they've very used to our presence.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 03:06:10 AM »
Wow, some of those.....
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:19:23 AM »
Ha!  Almost like the jungle-gym at the playground.  Imagining some toddler attempting to climb those things.  Some are just nuts.

This is where live music taping serves a crucible in which a balance is forged between possibility and practicality/safety.   You are working at the outlier edge of the envelope, dodging Jarts thrown from the merry-go-round.

I've finally quit laughing just enough to be able to post.

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »
And, some more,....
This pic is a 'Tree rig that I was shaded by for a weekend.
Look at how far forward the mic stand shaft is distorting to.
On the forward extension is a DPA 130v omni at the point, and, a pair of 4011 cards as XY on a Shure stereo bar; Yep, a Shure sterreo bar on the forward extension, rather than on the main mic stand shaft.

I work quite regularly in the shade of these overhead structures.
My rigs in this mess: Binaural head, on stage, and the short stereo array mic stand immeidately behind the 'Tree stand.

I have a little sympathy for these guys, because they have my mic stand! (Shure S15a)
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.287 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com