Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soldering Mini-XLR's difficulty???  (Read 7045 times)

Offline VA_TAPER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Soldering Mini-XLR's difficulty???
« on: October 29, 2003, 03:20:19 PM »
How would someone who has done this before rate the difficulty for someone who is decent but not great with an iron.  Start with difficulty 1 being tinning wire and 10 be SMD soldering.  Any help is appreciated! Must decide to buy or make the 12v batts for the Lunatec 316.

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

DaryanLenz

Re:Soldering Mini-XLR's difficulty???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 03:29:31 PM »
Why not use full size 4-pins?  

D

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
Re:Soldering Mini-XLR's difficulty???
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 06:23:53 PM »
Why not use full size 4-pins?  

D

The 316 dc input is a mini XLR. I'll use full size on the battery side of the rig though!
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Soldering Mini-XLR's difficulty???
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 03:48:34 PM »
Sorry for ressurecting this ancient thread, but I was about to ask this same question and I thought I would check out the archives first!

Judging by the tight fit of these connectors, I don't know how you wouls get these things connected right.  Does anyone have any tips on helping me out with this process?

Thanks!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
Sorry for ressurecting this ancient thread, but I was about to ask this same question and I thought I would check out the archives first!

Judging by the tight fit of these connectors, I don't know how you wouls get these things connected right.  Does anyone have any tips on helping me out with this process?

Thanks!

you need a fine tip, fairly low wattage iron, steady hands, good lighting and one of these would be great.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 04:41:26 PM »

Judging by the tight fit of these connectors, I don't know how you wouls get these things connected right. Does anyone have any tips on helping me out with this process?

Thanks!

you need a fine tip, fairly low wattage iron, steady hands, good lighting and one of these would be great.

marc

is that the same thing as one of these??

Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 05:08:34 PM »
john p related it to microsurgery
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 05:18:13 PM »
I don't see the picture, but what you're looking for is sometimes referred to as a "third hand."  Radio shack sells the one pictured for between 12-15 bucks.  I bought one to repair my CSBs, and it worked pretty well. 

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 05:44:32 PM »

...great.  that makes me feel more confident!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 06:22:59 PM »

...great.  that makes me feel more confident!

It really aint too bad , I did a couple of them for a Headphone re cable project.
I would highly suggest as others did picking up a "third hand".
But with some steady hands and a low watt Iron you should be fine..

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 08:10:17 PM »
I taught myself how to solder on mini-xlrs... my own 2 hands and a little masking tape was all it took. It seems pretty hard at 1st and it kinda is until you get the hang of it...but once you get that down, regular xlr, rca, 1/8", 1/4" and most power connectors are all easy as pie imo.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 08:18:28 PM »
I taught myself how to solder on mini-xlrs... my own 2 hands and a little masking tape was all it took. It seems pretty hard at 1st and it kinda is until you get the hang of it...but once you get that down, regular xlr, rca, 1/8", 1/4" and most power connectors are all easy as pie imo.

well I am pretty good at soldering actually, but I am talking about fixing PCB boards and making repairs to broken connections, small stuff indeed but nothing like this I don't think.

I've been playing around with the connector all afternoon and managed to take it apart.  If I do this it is really easy now to have access to the pins and all I really have to do is secure it to the table and arrange the rest of the peices correctly on the cable so i can just easily slide everything up to the top.

Thanks for all the help guys.  Appreciated.

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 01:19:53 AM »
Quick tip:

If you are only using 2 of the 3 pins for powering, I always clip the third, unused, solder cup w/ a pair of nail clippers to further reduce the chance of an accidental shortage.

As a further precaution I also dab a bit of liquid electrical tape on with a toothpick.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com