Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recorder Mounting Options  (Read 7058 times)

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Recorder Mounting Options
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
My camcorder doesn't have a hot shoe, any suggestions as to how to mount my Tascam DR-2d?

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Recorder Mounting Options
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:55:15 AM »

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
Don't have a hot shoe.

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:44:34 AM »
Velcro strips? I used them to stick my R-09 recorder to a pre-amp & dvd battery so that it forms one "package".
You can easily stick them together and pull them apart this way. Just a thought.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Brian E.

• is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
this is a photo/video recording forum.  i think that's why people are confused.  Since you're looking to mount an audio recorder.

I second the velcro idea.  For my own bonding, I use silicon rubber bands.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 05:24:39 PM by Brian Emerick »
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
Sorry.  I completely overlooked the part about no hot shoe.

I would say velcro also then.  Get the black kind with sticky on one side.  You can get it from Wal Mart pretty cheap.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:13:40 PM »
I think I might have to make a "U" bracket,  similar to the type they use for camera flash units.  This will hopefully allow me to mount the DR-2d above the camcorder.  With this mounting I have the option of using the internal cards. 

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
What camera are you using it with?

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »
Canon Vixia HF R10

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/419200-REG/Smith_Victor_701520_TR_56_Camcorder_Accessory_Mounting.html

I have one of these and they work well.  It screws onto the bottom where the tripod goes into and has a female thread so you can still put it on a tripod.  Get that and some type of adapter like the one I linked already, maybe a smaller one if you can.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
That looks good.  I can cut the hot shoe off and replace it with some sort of shock absorbing mount.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:01 PM »
You can velcro / tape it to a flash bracket.  Or rig up some other frame work with PVC.  Depending on convenience (size) / weight / balance / costs.

I probably wouldn't recommend it, but...

But only because it weighs a lot.  Not that much when it's JUST the PVC.  But the mics + cables and the wood part for the DIY shock mount framework, with bolts + washers + nuts.  It all adds up.  It's not a 20lbs T-day turkey, but it's more than a 5lbs-er.  2lbs of which is probably the monopod I have sticking up.  To be plugged into the rig for weight support, but just easier to carry this way.  The MR-1000 and 2x MM-1's is it's own frame work that the PVC is just resting on.  With a strap to carry it over the shoulder, which got in the way of the shot.  And that's another 5lbs of stuff.  Just toying with a run and gun version of my current *cough* portable *cough* setup.  Still working on it though.  I like the 3 points of stabilization (hand + hand + shoulder), or 4 points (+ monopod).  But it's way more than an iphone to be lugging around.  Or camcorder + H1.

Offline Brian E.

• is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
wow.  overkill in a jpg.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 02:18:38 PM »
wow.  overkill in a jpg.

Well there is reasoning behind it.  The mics could be flipped upside down and that puts the frame work on the outside (still a WIP).  So mount a pizza box as a make shift umbrella if it rains.  And throw a jacket over the field recorders and you're mostly good to go if it rains.  Versus so called professional outfits that record outdoor events, but have no plan for if it rains (WHEN, technically).  And there's the one person one trip aspect while still having a hand or finger free to open and close doors without setting something down.

Normally the mics and cables are tethered to a mic stand and carried as such.  With the camcorder, tripod, field recorder all in bags and/or draped over one shoulder, until on site.  But you can't record while traveling like that.  (with all the same gear at the same quality anyway).  Plus I tend to favor events with stadium seating where tripods and mic stands don't have many options in terms of placement or floor space. 

It is a bit overkill and looked a lot smaller on paper.  And probably could be smaller had I gone with 1/2" PVC.  But not enough available parts for that, and I like the fat-ish old man hands type pipe aspect.  That and 1" PVC is so hard to take apart once connected that I had to notch to pipe just to be able to do that.  No need for any glue.  For that matter I had to notch them just to get them all the way into the joints.  Plus with 1" pipe, I can actually run the XLR cables through the PVC.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »
Thats a creative DIY project but it looks like something from Star Wars.

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 08:40:11 AM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/419200-REG/Smith_Victor_701520_TR_56_Camcorder_Accessory_Mounting.html

I have one of these and they work well.  It screws onto the bottom where the tripod goes into and has a female thread so you can still put it on a tripod.  Get that and some type of adapter like the one I linked already, maybe a smaller one if you can.

I got one of these a few days ago, I removed the top hot shoe mount and drilled a large hole in it's place.  Now I'm going to use silicone caulking to pour mold a shock absorbing grommet/washer to insulate the DR-2d from the mechanical handling noises of the camcorder.  So far, so good. 

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »
Here are some pictures.  The silicone thing sounded good but didn't work out, so I went with a foam and felt gasket.  I can't hear any noises from the camcorder including handling noises.  So all is well.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Tascam%20Dr-2d/DSC01858.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Tascam%20Dr-2d/DSC01855.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/J123z_2006/Tascam%20Dr-2d/DSC01859.jpg

Next project will be to mount my DIY preamp and AKG C1000s mic to my camcorder.  But that will be a llittle later, I'm currently expanding my preamp from mono to stereo.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com