Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The case for a super-small, basic high quality recorder  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: The case for a super-small, basic high quality recorder
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 03:35:51 PM »
If you could just have the absolute basic features than contribute to a high quality recording, what would they be?

Sufficient channel count, sufficient mic power, transparent/low-noise preamps, the functional equivalent of Zaxcom "never clip" to avoid the need to think about levels until afterward, record/stop transport control, visual confirmation of recording and confirmation of signal to each chanel, and sufficient battery power.  That's about it. 

The specifics will be different for different folks. For instance, sufficient channel count for me is 4 to 6 (5 to 8 prefered), and sufficient mic power is 5V PIP (no need for phantom or balanced).

-----------------------------------------------------

Beyond that, I dream of a distributed "node" recording system eliminating the need for wired connections, requiring only minimal wireless bandwidth for control, with the capability of each node to continue to free-run if/when the wireless signal drops out.

For open taping each node would act like pretty much like the simple single-channel XLR input "plug-on recorders" which attach directly to the microphone, providing local battery, phantom-powering, and storage, yet with the  ability to maintain 48kHz sample-level sync via a combination of wireless sync and free-run clock accuracy, wireless transport control, and wireless status confirmation.  Associate any number of nodes with the control app and end up with sample accurate clock-sync'd recordings on each of them.

Advanced miniature version would include a pair of built-in, high-quality, low-voltage miniature microphones in each node (Mid/Side with choice of Mid pattern, or omni + hyper for dial-a-pattern), and each node being approximately the size of the miniature DPA boundary mount.  Think DPA d:vice with embedded microphones, battery, recorder, and wireless control.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 11:40:23 AM »
Does anyone stealth with the MixPre3?

If so, how do you get it in? Particularly in Europe - patdowns, detectors etc...

PM responses please!
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Beyond that, I dream of a distributed "node" recording system eliminating the need for wired connections, requiring only minimal wireless bandwidth for control, with the capability of each node to continue to free-run if/when the wireless signal drops out.

isnt that what "jam" time code does? im no video guy but in the manuals for the lectrosonics PDR model it says that you are supposed to "JAM" timecode prior to recording then disconnect the clock in while recording. it seems like its more of a marker than a clock sync over time

When the distance is extreme or using a wireless microphone
is not practical, the PDR recorder can travel
with your subject and capture professional quality audio,
synchronized with timecode. It’s tiny size is unobtrusive
and easily placed in garments and costumes, and easy
to conceal when used as a “plant” microphone to capture
environmental or location sound.
With a time code sync at the start of the production, the
audio track is easily placed accurately in the timeline of a
video clip. The industry standard .wav (BWF) file format
is compatible with essentially any audio or video editing
software.

also as you mentioned in the d:vice thread the apogee metarecorder bluetooth syncs multiple devices, spec is up to 10 meters. i have connected 2 iphones and walked across my house, they disconnected but both kept recording, thats the extent of my testing

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:43:40 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 07:48:52 AM »
You’d never get the MixPre3 into any venue in Europe - everything is detectors, pat downs, wands and equipment being examined now. Even in an open taping situation you’d have security questioning what it is.

You’d need something smaller.

Can't confirm this. The regular reaction when open taping with a mixpre-6 used to be:
"How much is it? I want one..."

My experience is similar to if_then_else.  The security guys never give me, or my gear, a second look when I am open taping.  As far as the venues, maybe it depends on where you are in Europe.  Very few here have detectors and pat downs are pretty perfunctory; I have yet to encounter a wand.  A lot of places have quick bag checks, but even they are pretty cursory.  They are mostly looking for weapons and outside booze.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »

isnt that what "jam" time code does? im no video guy but in the manuals for the lectrosonics PDR model it says that you are supposed to "JAM" timecode prior to recording then disconnect the clock in while recording. it seems like its more of a marker than a clock sync over time.

I think so.  I've don't know much about time code, but as far as I'm aware it provides frame-rate level of synchronization rather than sample-level sync.  The important questions are how close in can it get and how close do we need?   Plenty of folks here are versed in alining and syncing two different clocked sources from separate non-sync'd recorders.   Absolute sync is critical for stereo pairs where sample level sync is needed to keep the two phase-accurate with correct correlation, but not as much so for two separate sources which are not directly correlated- like an main pair + an ambient hall sound pair or the like.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Saltshaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • C.S. Productions
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 10:04:02 PM »
In the age of wanding and small bags only, it’s surprising that there’s not really anything *quite* like that in the market.
I know ‘stralth’ isn’t a consideration for manufacturers, but size and features usually are.

If you could just have the absolute basic features than contribute to a high quality recording, what would they be?

For me the ideal small recorder needs to go back to minidisc recorder size, no built-in microphones, a 3.5 Stereo line-in, a basic screen (monitor, options etc...), dial/buttons allowing for level adjustment, stop/start rec., a ‘hold’ feature, and a slot for a micro SD card for storage.

Maybe surprisingly, nothing like this really exists does it?

If you just had the basics like this, how small and thin could you go? Smaller than a iPhone?

Even though this is an older thread, the same exact same question came to mind the other night when I taped a show for the first time in quite a while. I was caught off guard by newly installed walk through detectors and I had to change my tactics fast before going through. Fortunately it was all good and I still use my handle R-09, I just cant help but wonder what the latest and greatest was.
I did not find much out there and I expected to find a few newer recorders but not that much. I did see a discontinued PDA recorder by Core Sound that was small but I was thinking something smaller. Although the SPDR was mentioned, has anyone discussed or used the PDR which is smaller?
https://www.lectrosonics.com/US/PDR/product.html
Semi-Retired but once a taper, always a taper:
SP-CMC-8 w/SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box > Edirol R-09

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
Pcm-a10
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Saltshaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • C.S. Productions
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 05:22:15 PM »
Pcm-a10

I like it except if they ditched the internal mics, it would be a perfect size.
Semi-Retired but once a taper, always a taper:
SP-CMC-8 w/SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box > Edirol R-09

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 06:26:53 PM »
Easily removable if you take it apart

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com