Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is the Lunatec V3 still the best portable mic pre & A to D?  (Read 6351 times)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Is the Lunatec V3 still the best portable mic pre & A to D?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
After many years, putting my recording rig back together. I have an Oade Bros modded Marantz PMD661 for digital files, but want a better mic pre for my Neumanns, and of course a better A to D would help as well. I know that the V3 isn't made anymore. Is there a better solution? Thanks very much!

Looking back at the OP's post, it's important to point out that the PMD661 is a pretty nice sounding uint out of the box.  The Oades' mod makes its analog/mic pre section even nicer sounding (and, if I recall, uncolored, like a v2/v3).  One of the more "controversial" elements of the V3 is its a>d section. 

The OP might want to consider getting his current Neumann>oade mod pmd661 rig dialed in first and evaluate what specific qualities of that setup need improvement, as he might find himself wanting a colored pre like a oade M148 or psp2 to warm it up.  Almost seems a waste of the oade mods to turn the pmd661 into a bit bucket . . .

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
After many years, putting my recording rig back together. I have an Oade Bros modded Marantz PMD661 for digital files, but want a better mic pre for my Neumanns, and of course a better A to D would help as well. I know that the V3 isn't made anymore. Is there a better solution? Thanks very much!

Looking back at the OP's post, it's important to point out that the PMD661 is a pretty nice sounding uint out of the box.  The Oades' mod makes its analog/mic pre section even nicer sounding (and, if I recall, uncolored, like a v2/v3).  One of the more "controversial" elements of the V3 is its a>d section. 

The OP might want to consider getting his current Neumann>oade mod pmd661 rig dialed in first and evaluate what specific qualities of that setup need improvement, as he might find himself wanting a colored pre like a oade M148 or psp2 to warm it up.  Almost seems a waste of the oade mods to turn the pmd661 into a bit bucket . . .

What I was thinking, too.  To add, what pre-A/D would be considered the "best" is a matter of opinion and hot topic of debate around these parts. :)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »
There's also the Benchmark AD2K+  ;D

for just another single AD

It's all personal opinion on which is best but IMO the only mic pre top notch AD's that are 24bit are:
V3
Sound Devices USBpre2
Sound Devices MixPre-D
Apogee MiniME

Only the sound devices are still in production

If your looking for just an AD there is the:
Mytek AD192

Some other 24bit Mic pre AD's include:
Modded UA-5's
Mic2496 v2 by Core sounds

All true, however...

I've found the SD MixPre-D serves as an ideal pairing with a PMD661, it also provides confidence and playback monitoring via a tape return connection and the excellent HP amp on the MixPre-D none of the other pre's offer this feature and the HP amp built in the PMD661 is quite lacking at best. With the tape out connected to the return input all you do is push a button to toggle HP monitoring between MixPre-D and PMD661. MixPre-D can also perform an on-the-fly SBD/mic recording if sacrifice the confidence monitoring for 3/4 inputs instead.

That said it looks like the OP picked up a great deal on a V3 so I post for others considering outboard pre's to utilize the PMD661 (any variety) as a digital bit bucket. My only "dis" on the MixPre-D is it does not offer level trim pots to reduce a hot signal.  This is easy to work around though if you are using very sensitive mic's with a over the top LOUD performance but I mention it as something to be prepared for if you plan to record such shows.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:39:07 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com