Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mouseclick-like noise in Recording (CAFS->Ugly->PCM-M10)  (Read 4243 times)

Offline stardustz

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mouseclick-like noise in Recording (CAFS->Ugly->PCM-M10)
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
I have some occasional clicks (not sure if this is what they are called, they sound like mouse-clicks to me) in a recording I made with CAFS->Ugly->M10.  They are especially noticeable after I do a vocal enhancement EQ in Audition, but they were definitely in the original as well.  I used to hear some in recordings I made with Zoom H1, but I originally thought they were from using the lesser internal mics... but now they are on the recordings I made with the CAFS as well...would like to know how to avoid this problem.  The show itself is not very loud, and I don't think clipping is an issue.  I also had a fresh 9v battery in the Ugly.

There is a sample, click is quite audible some time between 3:14 -> 3:15.    Appreciate help to avoid this issue, much thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtc53svbe8j2ktk/Saynora.wav

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Mouseclick-like noise in Recording (CAFS->Ugly->PCM-M10)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
I have some occasional clicks (not sure if this is what they are called, they sound like mouse-clicks to me) in a recording I made with CAFS->Ugly->M10.  They are especially noticeable after I do a vocal enhancement EQ in Audition, but they were definitely in the original as well.  I used to hear some in recordings I made with Zoom H1, but I originally thought they were from using the lesser internal mics... but now they are on the recordings I made with the CAFS as well...would like to know how to avoid this problem.  The show itself is not very loud, and I don't think clipping is an issue.  I also had a fresh 9v battery in the Ugly.

There is a sample, click is quite audible some time between 3:14 -> 3:15.    Appreciate help to avoid this issue, much thanks.

Assuming you're using a good quality alkaline battery (as mentioned), are you using the internal memory of the M10 or a memory card?  I'd suggest trying to record a sample to the internal memory first, if you haven't, and then either re-formatting the memory card or trying another one.  I know the M10 can be a little picky when it comes to memory cards so I strongly suggest using decent brand name cards (like SanDisk or Transcend and avoid the no-name/knockoffs you can find on eBay).

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »

Assuming you're using a good quality alkaline battery (as mentioned), are you using the internal memory of the M10 or a memory card?  I'd suggest trying to record a sample to the internal memory first, if you haven't, and then either re-formatting the memory card or trying another one.  I know the M10 can be a little picky when it comes to memory cards so I strongly suggest using decent brand name cards (like SanDisk or Transcend and avoid the no-name/knockoffs you can find on eBay).

Yes.  And even more avoid the counterfeits of the decent brand name cards that are all over the place (but especially ebay).  Only buy cards from the licensed official retailers (B&H is a good choice online but there are others - I think Best Buy had the best deal on the ones I bought for the new recorder). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline stardustz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »

I am using the Panasonic Evolta battery for the Sony and Duracell for the preamp, think should be ok?  I actually recorded to the memory card directly indeed...let me try recording to the internal memory next time.  However I do use a Sandisk Class 10 SDHC...fail to understand what's causing the problem... :-\   And somehow I can't reproduce it at home...seems to be a problem that only happens at the concert. ??? :-\

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:40:54 AM »
To troubleshoot this issue, I'd recommend starting by removing the ugly from the chain and going straight in to the M10. Test on a similar decibel level sound source.

If you don't get the clicks, try gently moving the CAFS cables around and rotating/wiggling the jack in the plug while monitoring the recording with headphones out of the M10.

If you can't get the clicks to happen with that combination, put the ugly back in to the chain and repeat the tests, moving all of the new cables and jacks gently in all directions.

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:49:44 PM »
To troubleshoot this issue, I'd recommend starting by removing the ugly from the chain and going straight in to the M10. Test on a similar decibel level sound source.

If you don't get the clicks, try gently moving the CAFS cables around and rotating/wiggling the jack in the plug while monitoring the recording with headphones out of the M10.

If you can't get the clicks to happen with that combination, put the ugly back in to the chain and repeat the tests, moving all of the new cables and jacks gently in all directions.

I agree. However, this still may not repeat the problem.

I had a similar problem using the same mics and battery box with my MZ-RH1 and occasionally with my M10. The test mentioned here would not reproduce the problem at home.

I wear cargo shorts to most shows here. The mic cable snakes down my back into a battery box in the lower pocket. Then the cable goes to the recorder in the upper pocket.

Turns out that excessive movement by my leg (bouncing to the beat) or occasionally pulling out the recorder to check levels would move something that caused a click like yours. I remedied the problem by cleaning the plugs before each show and not moving the recorder around so much. All I know is that when I finally learned to keep the gear steady (like keeping everything in a hip pack where it doesn't really move) the clicks went away.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »

The whole recording is crunchy sounding.. Sounds like your right on the edge of distortion. Problem is these mics dont distort unless your in a 150db wind tunnel. So I would say a weak battery. The sharp clips I heard that lasted about 2 ms could be anything its really hard to tell. Try a new battery do you have an ugly or an UGLY  2?
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline stardustz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »

The whole recording is crunchy sounding.. Sounds like your right on the edge of distortion. Problem is these mics dont distort unless your in a 150db wind tunnel. So I would say a weak battery. The sharp clips I heard that lasted about 2 ms could be anything its really hard to tell. Try a new battery do you have an ugly or an UGLY  2?

I am not sure if it's the Ugly or the Ugly II.  I got them from you as a package with the CAFS some time late last year, would that be a I or II?  I did put in a new Energizer 9V when I made that recording last year..  so I am unsure why that's the case  :-\ I don't see obvious clipping when I put in in Audition, but you are right it does sound like it's picking up some noise/distortion... :'(   I will put in a new battery again in the preamp next time I record...but really not sure if this is the cause...Any other possible culprits?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:38:50 PM by stardustz »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »

I am not sure if it's the Ugly or the Ugly II.  I got them from you as a package with the CAFS some time late last year, would that be a I or II?  I did put in a new Energizer 9V when I made that recording last year..  so I am unsure why that's the case  :-\ I don't see obvious clipping when I put in in Audition, but you are right it does sound like it's picking up some noise/distortion... :'(   I will put in a new battery again in the preamp next time I record...but really not sure if this is the cause...Any other possible culprits?
The ugly has just tiny blue trim pots and no other means of adjustment. The Ugly 2 has tiny blue trimers for output adjustment and a gain adjustment knob with 6 positions for overall gain.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline stardustz

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 12:08:36 AM »
It's definitely the Ugly 2 then.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com