Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 102403 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
yeah I found that there is not any issue with switches getting thrown by the bag and once you learn the layout all you need is enough room to slide your hand in and manipulate the switches/buttons. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 09:52:21 PM »
PHOTO'S Appreciated...mine will arrive Thursday and I plan on taking it out Friday!

Couldn't find a photo of the V3 under the 680, but here's an R44 under it in the same bag.  In this photo, the 680 is positioned closer to the top so I can access the top of both recorders.  With the V3 in the place of the R44 there is a lot more room on top.  As you can make out I tuck under the front flap of the snug Tascam case that normally covers the front, conveniently it velcros directly to the side velcro on the underside of the top flap that would normally attach to the sides, making it easy to 'lift the lid' and reach under with no velcro-rippage.  The clear plastic cover still protects the front face, so the only time I unfold the front cover and use it like it is actually designed to work is when I'm carrying the recorder around by itself for playback outside the big recording bag.  Don't know if the new ones comes with the snug cover included, it was a free accessory from B&H when the unit was selling for a couple hundred more.

DR-680 & R44 clock linked for 10 channels. Seperate DVD battery for each (one of which runs the V3 when it's in there)

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
What is the big bag? A Lowepro AW Magnum?
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 01:29:23 AM »
In the photo above?

Its a $20 soft sided cooler with a fat shoulder strap, gear in the plastic tub, big zippered pocket on front, mesh pockets on the sides. Nothing special but it works very well when I need to carry a alot and keep it well protected. Here's another photo of the same setup, the zippered cooler top is flipped back.  Its sort of like a big disc golf bag-
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 08:29:38 AM »
In the photo above?

Its a $20 soft sided cooler with a fat shoulder strap, gear in the plastic tub, big zippered pocket on front, mesh pockets on the sides. Nothing special but it works very well when I need to carry a alot and keep it well protected. Here's another photo of the same setup, the zippered cooler top is flipped back.  Its sort of like a big disc golf bag-

Nice cheap option. Great thinking.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
I wonder if the DR-680 can record a Dolby 5.1 stream? Has anyone tried that?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
I'm trying to get a leg up on this unit before it arrives Thursday...I've been reading this PDF:

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/43/E_DR-680_OM_vA.pdf

In the manual there is mention of adjusting Microphones in the Trim and to be careful of "Over Driving" and "Recording Distortion" even though the record levels are under -2db....Then I saw where Gutbucket speaks of using TRIM to get 1 db fine adjustments of levels...

I have a Microphone Trim section on my Fostex FR2LE  (it's a separate Microphone Preamp that isn't used for Line Level input) and a MIC Peak indicator to let you know the Microphone Trim is being driven to distortion this is what the Manual is addressing...AND I have TRIM on my V2 for fine adjust levels since the gain is applied in 5 db steps...which sounds like what Gutbucket speaks of...

HOW do you know which MODE Trim is in on the DR-680?

Also NO mention of Ganging inputs for Global Changes of Gain in the PDF....are they using a different term?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:15:11 AM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
Chuck,
I've not done it, but any recorder with a SPDIF input should technically be able to record a Dolby digital 5.1 stream.  You could also record all six of the decoded 5.1 stream via the analog channels of course.

Hypno,
Not sure I understand your question.  You first set the overall input sensitivity for each channel pair to either MIC or LINE with switches on the top of the machine, then adjust input gain as required by the channel trims.  If using the V2 before the 650 you can adjust gain on both the V2 and the 680.  In that case set the input sensitivity to LINE, then figure out what balance of gain from each device you are happy with.

Details on how to gang trim adjustments (as well as other things like pan and level) are in Tascam's PDF describing new features added with the last firmware update as I recall.  I think that is available on Tascam's 680 website.  I wouldn't worry about trying to gang channels until you are comfortable with running the recorder.  How to do it is covered earlier in the thread somewhere as well, and I'll be happy to explain it again if you need help.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
Hey all I just picked one of these up for Jam Cruise. Tested it and that was about it. Any gotcha's things I should be aware of? I'll be running on A/C only and line in on all six channels. Got some top notch SDHC cards.

Any advice on levels/trim settings?

Noticed the remaining time display is wrong for my 32GB card. Can I do anything about this?
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2013, 12:50:47 PM »
Check the fimware and update if necessary.  I don't know the revision number off hand but just check the Roland website for what ever is the newest release.

Shoot to peak at the fine line across the meter display, adjust gain via the sensitivity switch on top and the 'trim' function on front.  Don't be distracted by the 'level' function on front, which is the output-buss monitor level of each channel and has nothing to do with input levels.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2013, 03:53:33 PM »

Noticed the remaining time display is wrong for my 32GB card. Can I do anything about this?

I used mine for the first time last Friday. As I recall it had the latest firmware, which was version 1.20. Also as I think I recall, the deck will show the remaining time for the file (2gb limit) not the entire card. As it may be recording multiple files, it still is showing how much time until it starts a new file(s). Using it was a breeze too.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline ttrego2003

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • nobody puts baby in the corner!
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
So my stereo recording of two pairs is always a very low volume recording and the mix for all mics is set to 90%, any thoughts?

Todd

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
Go to the mix track and up your record level.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »
Hey all I just picked one of these up for Jam Cruise. Tested it and that was about it. Any gotcha's things I should be aware of? I'll be running on A/C only and line in on all six channels. Got some top notch SDHC cards.

Any advice on levels/trim settings?

if I were you I'd pop battereis in just as a back up to lost power.  The 680 is not friendly when it loses power during recording.  Oh and make SURE you hit stop before doing anything else after recording.  Recovering files is major PIA with 680.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »
What Kirk said.

Todd- The stereo mix level works in combination with the individual channel mix levels, they interact with each other.
Increase the mix level of the indivdual channels which you would like hotter. They default to 50%. Sounds like you have those at 90% but you could bump the ones you'd like hotter up more. The stereo mix level control attenuates the stereo buss after individual channel level and pan, so if that's set low, the resulting stereo file will have low levels.  If it's currently at the default of 50%, well there you go. All these settings are retained.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com