Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to properly transfer one channel recording?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
How to properly transfer one channel recording?
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »
I've got two tapes on MD where one of the channels of my mics failed, so there's just silence on the channel. Not even hiss, nothing. How do I go about transferring this to my PC? Do I record it as a mono track to begin with, or should I record it as stereo and then copy/paste the correct channel into the dead one, making some sort of fake stereo?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: How to properly transfer one channel recording?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:14:21 PM »
I've got two tapes on MD where one of the channels of my mics failed, so there's just silence on the channel. Not even hiss, nothing. How do I go about transferring this to my PC? Do I record it as a mono track to begin with, or should I record it as stereo and then copy/paste the correct channel into the dead one, making some sort of fake stereo?

Copy and paste is great. If you try to release it as mono, I'm not sure the FLAC encoder will like it.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:58:59 PM »
From what you said, I assume transferring MD is similar to DAT, and it is a real time transfer. I have WL6, so I would record a single channel, or both, if that was not an option. It is then simple enough to copy that into the other channel (track), in a montage. I would mute the "dead" channel, just to be on the safe side. If you then offset the tracks by a couple ms, it will give the "illusion" of stereo.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:15:20 AM »
If you then offset the tracks by a couple ms, it will give the "illusion" of stereo.
Delaying one track against the other will cause comb filtering, which will make it so the left and right channels cancel differently depending on where you are listening. However, I doubt that will make it sound better. Lots of great things were recorded in Mono.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comb_filter

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Aladar

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:01:26 AM »
I've just tried running the one tape I recorded in mono (thru Audacity) through FLAC, and it compressed it without problem. It sounds good enough too, IMO, but I'm really not sure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com