Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Monopod/Mobile Video setup  (Read 5263 times)

Offline alienbobz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Monopod/Mobile Video setup
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:59:34 PM »
My Targus monopod bit the dust a few weeks ago. It got stuck for my camcorder and I had to take a hacksaw to it. I am looking for recommendations for either a monopod or mobile setup for concerts. I have been looking at standing monopods and shoulder rigs, but I haven't been able to figure out what is the best  option for me. Any input would be great.
-Out of the game for a bit, probably forever-

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:
Behringer C-2s, Marshall MXL 1006BPs, Naiant MSH-1s

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Monopod/Mobile Video setup
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
I have this one and love it for the price (the 67" model):

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-WT-1003-67-Inch-Lightweight-Monopod/dp/B000VZS2EU/ref=pd_cp_p_0

Don't know if I'd trust it with a DSLR and large lens, but for my Panasonic ZS7 + flash bracket + PCM-M10 + mics it's more than solid enough.  You could also do a double-clamp setup to attach the middle section to a seat back or arm while the foot is still planted on the floor - useful when shooting video for longer periods of time.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »
you need to use  a quick release plate to avoid getting stripped onto camera.....what camera are you using? i have a manfrotto 560 b 1  i might let go if your interested.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
you need to use  a quick release plate to avoid getting stripped onto camera.....what camera are you using? i have a manfrotto 560 b 1  i might let go if your interested.

I have a Panasonic AG-HMC40. According to B&H it is about 3 lbs with the battery. The monopod you mentioned seems like it would be perfect, I just wondering if it could handle this camcorder.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »
I use a monopod with my camcorder. It's a Sony NEX-VG30, much larger than small point and shoot type camcorders, but considerably smaller than pro rigs; however, it also takes interchangeable lenses, so the whole setup can get pretty heavy, depending on the lens. I've found that, in concert situations where I move around while shooting, collapsing the monopod and resting it in a belt pouch makes my rig quite steady, once I got used to it. The belt and pouch that I have are similar to the ones used by flag carriers and are made by this company: http://www.kgear.com/store/b.html. Oh yes, a quick release plate is very handy. Happy shooting!

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:33:40 PM »
And there is also the Manfrotto 561BHDV 1   which is more expensive .I own both and they are great i use the 561 with the bigger cameras.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
And there is also the Manfrotto 561BHDV 1   which is more expensive .I own both and they are great i use the 561 with the bigger cameras.

Cool, thanks. I might have to look into getting one of those.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:41:36 AM »
From my experience a monopod provides steadier footage than a shoulder rig.Ive used them and trying to turn a non shoulder mount camera into one IMO does not work you would need a true shoulder mount camera instead.

I think either monopod i listed will do the job but you would be happier with the 561BHDV -1.

Good luck.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
From my experience a monopod provides steadier footage than a shoulder rig.Ive used them and trying to turn a non shoulder mount camera into one IMO does not work you would need a true shoulder mount camera instead.

I think either monopod i listed will do the job but you would be happier with the 561BHDV -1.

Good luck.

How long ago did you buy the Manfrotto 561BHDV-1? According to B&H, it is discontinued. It looks like the Manfrotto 560B-1 might work for me. The safety payload is about 4.4lbs according to this: http://www.manfrotto.com/fluid-video-monopod-with-head If this doesn't work, I will look for something similair to the 561. Can you replace the head on the 560?

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »
Wow! i am surprised it is discontinued,i only bought mine a few months ago,i think it was there most popular monopod.And no you can't switch out heads on the 560.I would look for a 561BHDV-1 on ebay or amazon as the head is better.  EDIT: It looks like they discontinued the 701 hdv head also....what a bummer,i'll have to double check my 560 to see if you can or can not switch heads,it may be possible after all.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:29:55 PM by beatkilla »

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 05:52:42 PM »
I just tried and yes the head screws right off of the 560 b 1....it has the small thread same size as most camcorder bottoms.

Offline alienbobz

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
I just tried and yes the head screws right off of the 560 b 1....it has the small thread same size as most camcorder bottoms.

Awesome, thanks! I might have to buy the 560b for now and replace the head later.

Audio Setup:
Apogee Mini-MP
Zoom H6

Video Setup:
Canon Vixia HF G20
Rode NTG-2
Azden SGM-1X

Misc:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com