Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony D50 with Sandisk Extreme III Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo 8GB card?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Just wondering if anybody here has successfully used one of the new Sandisk Extreme III Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo 8GB (what a naming scheme) with their Sony PCMD50.  I would be recording at 24/96 and the extra speed may be an asset in those situations.  If not, what do you use?
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Online WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Re: Sony D50 with Sandisk Extreme III Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo 8GB card?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:50:01 PM »
The D50 is rated for pro-HG duo cards, and the Sony guys at last year's AES said they would work with 8GB and 16GB cards when these became available.  I have run it successfully (but not in the field) with a 16GB Sony "Mark 2" pro duo, which is not quite a "pro-HG" so I would think it would be okay with a certified pro-HG (who thinks up these names, anyway?).  I guess it's time to order a new memory card and try it out.

Jeff

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »
Well I got the Extreme III pro-HG 8GB card, and it does seem to work okay with the D50 (as expected).  The bad news is that it does NOT run straight in the D1.  At 24/96 the card shows 3 hours 53 minutes available in the D50, in the D1 only 1 hour 49 minutes (less that a 4GB card of any sort).  I will try running it in the D1 first to see if the problem is just with the clock, but I doubt it.

Jeff

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 02:26:02 PM »
The Sandisc pro-HG 8GB confuses the hell out of the Sony D1.

Like ordinary 8GB pro duo cards, it shows only a bit under half of its capacity as available, and like the ordinary cards the D1 shuts down at that limit (1 hour 49 minutes, vs 2 hours plus on the 4GB internal memory or 1 hour 57 minutes with a 4GB card either "high speed" or ordinary memory stick or pro duo; and about 1 hour 40 minutes on the 8GB pro duo).  At that limit, it shuts down, saying "memory full."  HOWEVER, unlike the plain 8GB pro duo, YOU CAN RESTART IT and it shows over 2 hours of countdown time again on the clock.  BUT, the "remaining time" warning on the screen stays on and keeps counting down to zero from 59 seconds, over and over!

Now the "pro-HG" duo is NOT the same designation as "high speed" for memory sticks, which the D1 is supposed to use, and maybe my duo-to-ms adapters are slowing it down.  But this is very weird, I think.  Since there is no 8GB "high speed" card around, I still don't know if this is a D1 feature or a compatibility issue.

Jeff

Edit: After about 10 more minutes, the machine locked up.  The countdown froze and the record light is on, but you can't turn it off.  Will have to pull the batteries and reboot.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:28:29 PM by WiFiJeff »

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:30:21 AM »
Amazon.com is having a sale on the Sony 16GB Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2) card.  Has anybody used a Mark 2 card successfully at 24/96?  I would plan to tape exclusively in that format.  Would the Sandisk Extreme III, which has a higher transfer rate, be better for 24/96 applications?
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline BlackCrowe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »
Any additional reports as to whether this 16GB Memory stick Pro Duo "Mark2" works with the D50 or not?

The official Sony compatibility table claims "no"

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-info.pl?&info_id=19#m2

but on the other side fellow board member WiFiJeff has made some promising first tests with this card (see above).

Anyone else with any information here??

Best,

Karsten

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:11:12 AM by BlackCrowe »

Offline BlackCrowe

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 02:34:41 AM »
I finally bought one of those Sony 16GB Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark2 to use with my D50 and will report as soon as I checked this bundle...

Offline mattw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 04:49:52 AM »
Franky, I'm skeptical of Sony's warnings. My D50 plays/records just fine with a Sandisk Ultra II 8GB card which specs out just slightly lower than the Extreme III cards with regards to read/write speed.

I can't wait to pick up one of the 16GB cards when it becomes available at a decent price. 7+ hours recording time  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com