Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Silver clad cable recommendations?  (Read 20378 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Silver clad cable recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »
The 1804a is sweet stuff.. Especially for short cable runs.  Mine seems to be on a slow boat from china... Still waiting for my 100' from Full Compass (good price, around .78/foot). I ended up grabbing a smaller amount at a higher price for my immediate needs.

I think we should post cable sources where possible..  Obviously, there are a Lot of different cable types and sources out there and availability does vary over time.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2005, 02:05:10 PM »
The reason I think Todd and Marc's cables are such a deal is because most retailers sell silver wire in lengths no shorter than 100 ft, so even at $.70/ft, you pay around $70 + S&H for cable, $5 for silver solder, $20 for XLRs, $10 for techflex, etc. Add all this up and you are looking at over $100 for the raw parts and if you need only a 15-20 ft and are only decent at soldering (or don't have an iron), it is probably more economical to buy from Marc or Todd. Plus "Bumblebee Miagi II" or "Seque Dogstar" looks much cooler in the source info than "DIY silver cables"  :P

EDIT: After doing some researchthis summer, I found that cable similar to Marc and Todd's (not the Belden, but the Teflon jacketed stuff) usually costs $2-4/ft from retailers unless you stumble upon some on Ebay. I'd be interested if someone knows of a better deal.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 02:07:34 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2005, 02:11:14 PM »
The reason I think Todd and Marc's cables are such a deal is because most retailers sell silver wire in lengths no shorter than 100 ft, so even at $.70/ft, you pay around $70 + S&H for cable, $5 for silver solder, $20 for XLRs, $10 for techflex, etc. Add all this up and you are looking at over $100 for the raw parts and if you need only a 15-20 ft and are only decent at soldering (or don't have an iron), it is probably more economical to buy from Marc or Todd. Plus "Bumblebee Miagi II" or "Seque Dogstar" looks much cooler in the source info than "DIY silver cables"  :P

I agree 100%.  and not to mention the labor time involved .and your supporting a fellow Taper .

You have seen the pic's and reviews. So you have some security that you will get a cable that will perform to your expectations right out of the box... Thats worth a few extra $ right there..

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 02:35:32 PM »
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 03:38:29 PM »
It's at home, I will post it this evening as long as they don't mind.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 06:04:31 PM »
OK, here's what you do.  You could just buy 1000 ft like so,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teflon-Insulated-Hook-Up-Wire-22-AWG-Red-1000-ft_W0QQitemZ7545450256QQcategoryZ73139QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OR, just search on ebay for the following... teflon wire

You will never find it using any other search term, and believe me, I tried.  So there you have it.

D----
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 06:30:57 PM »
yeah, that stuff looks like junk compared to what marc and todd are using :)

d, have you even heard their cables? youre awfully quick to dismiss them bud 8)

how do your moedown tapes sound?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 06:37:41 PM »
Thanks for sending along the info, though I'm still not sure that's what you'd want to use for mic cables.  I'm not trying to discourage the diy route, but I think you'd be better off with a 4-conductor plus shield cable (eg, Belden 83348) rather than using strands of unshielded hook-up wire.  Or if you don't want to go the quad route, something like teflon-jacketed silver-clad two-conductor plus shield such as the Belden 83319 or 83320.

If you did want to go this route with hook-up wire, you'd want to shield the cables.  You can get copper-braided shielding at various places, I think L'il Kim posted a vendor somewhere recently.  I don't know if there is a place to get silver-clad copper shielding, or even if it makes that much of a difference.  Ideally, you'd want to twist the hook-up wires and then insert them into the shield and then cover them with one or two layers of techflex.  All in all, that sounds like a tremendous PITA to me.  If I were to do the diy route, I'd look for the raw cable stock I listed above or perhaps the Belden 1804a.  
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 09:16:35 PM »

I wasn't talking at all about their cables.  I was referring to the price quote that someone mentioned about 250 bucks for bare wire!
To comment further, it is far from junk.  It is the same wire that every speaker cable manufacturer who is selling silver/copper cables is using.  They lie if they say differently.  It is all about how you twist and spin or braid the wire that seperates the haves from the have not's in this case.  I bought over 100 feet of it to make speaker cables, braided them in a star quad configuration, and compared them directly to a high end cable.  They sounded exactly alike.  Mil grade is mil grade, plain and simple.  It is easy to make your own shielding as well.

Disgustingly good, though I missed the meat encore night 3 due to running out of space on the Toshiba drive...I knew I shouldn't have taped the Femmes.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »
Thanks for sending along the info, though I'm still not sure that's what you'd want to use for mic cables.  I'm not trying to discourage the diy route, but I think you'd be better off with a 4-conductor plus shield cable (eg, Belden 83348) rather than using strands of unshielded hook-up wire.  Or if you don't want to go the quad route, something like teflon-jacketed silver-clad two-conductor plus shield such as the Belden 83319 or 83320.

If you did want to go this route with hook-up wire, you'd want to shield the cables.  You can get copper-braided shielding at various places, I think L'il Kim posted a vendor somewhere recently.  I don't know if there is a place to get silver-clad copper shielding, or even if it makes that much of a difference.  Ideally, you'd want to twist the hook-up wires and then insert them into the shield and then cover them with one or two layers of techflex.  All in all, that sounds like a tremendous PITA to me.  If I were to do the diy route, I'd look for the raw cable stock I listed above or perhaps the Belden 1804a. 

I just posted the cheapest way.  I imagine belden is just the above already done for you by a big machine :)  Good luck fellas.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 09:19:56 PM »

I wasn't talking at all about their cables. I was referring to the price quote that someone mentioned about 250 bucks for bare wire!
To comment further, it is far from junk. It is the same wire that every speaker cable manufacturer who is selling silver/copper cables is using. They lie if they say differently. It is all about how you twist and spin or braid the wire that seperates the haves from the have not's in this case. I bought over 100 feet of it to make speaker cables, braided them in a star quad configuration, and compared them directly to a high end cable. They sounded exactly alike. Mil grade is mil grade, plain and simple. It is easy to make your own shielding as well.

Disgustingly good, though I missed the meat encore night 3 due to running out of space on the Toshiba drive...I knew I shouldn't have taped the Femmes.

I wasn't talking at all about their cables. I was referring to the price quote that someone mentioned about 250 bucks for bare wire!
To comment further, it is far from junk. It is the same wire that every speaker cable manufacturer who is selling silver/copper cables is using. They lie if they say differently. It is all about how you twist and spin or braid the wire that seperates the haves from the have not's in this case. I bought over 100 feet of it to make speaker cables, braided them in a star quad configuration, and compared them directly to a high end cable. They sounded exactly alike. Mil grade is mil grade, plain and simple. It is easy to make your own shielding as well.

nice, mine are pretty solid too!

feemes, eck!

did ya roll for tlg ??? i was still sleeping :P

Ray76

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 09:31:35 PM »

feemes, eck!

Let me figure this out....Femmes get EECH and TLG gets praise??
what a backwards world you live in Bean. ;) :P

damn jambanders.  :-*

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 09:58:02 PM »

feemes, eck!

Let me figure this out....Femmes get EECH and TLG gets praise??
what a backwards world you live in Bean. ;) :P

damn jambanders. :-*

not my cup o tea, so glad i didnt waste HD space on the femmes :P

thanks god for diff tastes in music!

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2005, 12:15:57 AM »
OK, here's what you do.  You could just buy 1000 ft like so,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teflon-Insulated-Hook-Up-Wire-22-AWG-Red-1000-ft_W0QQitemZ7545450256QQcategoryZ73139QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OR, just search on ebay for the following... teflon wire

You will never find it using any other search term, and believe me, I tried.  So there you have it.

D----

BS...
 you can find the cable using many other terms .

why would anyone want to buy 1000 ft of cable to make some IC's or mic cables.

if your looking for IC's this will be just fine, and its already shielded   http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVER-PLATED-CABLE-SHIELDED-TWISTED-PAIR-Teflon_W0QQitemZ5807117798QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2005, 05:50:46 PM »
if your looking for IC's this will be just fine, and its already shielded   http://cgi.ebay.com/SILVER-PLATED-CABLE-SHIELDED-TWISTED-PAIR-Teflon_W0QQitemZ5807117798QQcategoryZ14978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for the link, Nick. +T
Here is the link for the seller's ebay store, Patcher Supply
No don't go bidding against me, find your own item  ;D
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com