Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Local dealer for 1/8 male optical adapter / possibly screwed !!!  (Read 5545 times)

spearheadtaper

• Trade Count: (0)
just went down to the local ratshack to get an optical to optical cable to finally be able to run the new rig

ask for a 1/8 male optical adapter
brought along the jb3 for reference

the people there acted like i was crazy....went and got the manager and he said they didn't have that "high tech" stuff like that...and that no one in the city would have "high tech" stuff like that

is this something difficult to find I live in okahoma city and have to have this to tape a show on wednesday....and I leave to drive to the show at noon wednesday so overnighting it is not an option....gotta find somewhere in the city to pick it up tomorrow.....

also asked for RCA to Xlr cables and they thought I was insane on those too ??

any ideas would be appreciated....  going to suck so much to not be able to tape because I am lacking a cable  :'(
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 09:10:16 PM by spearheadtaper »

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Dumb cable question / possibly screwed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062041&cp=&kw=optical+cable&parentPage=search

can't seem to find the adapeter on their site. but I have seen them at many radio shacks. ask them for an optical cable (see link above) and an optical > mini optical adapter. they should be hanging right by the optical cables. radio shack does not carry a optical > mini cable, at least that I have ever seen. the adapter fits on the cable nice and tight so you should be able to avoid some of the hassles that many incur using a mini adapter. i don't believe they have the right angled version, which would be ideal, but you can check once they show you the standard adapter. i would guess that even OKC ratshacks carry the optical cable. not sure about the XLR > RCA but if worse comes to worse you can get an RCA > 1/8 stereo cable and use the A/D in the jb3
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

spearheadtaper

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »
I went to 2 different ones....one dude looked it up in the computer and if they did have it they no longer carry it

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:29 PM »
I went to 2 different ones....one dude looked it up in the computer and if they did have it they no longer carry it

damn...i figured OKC was a large enough city to carry an optical cable at ratshack. Perhaps you can try calling a few other ratshacks in the area. maybe best buy or Frys or a large electronics type place would have one. there has got to be someplace there that has one, OKC isn't that ass backwards. your best bet may be to hit up a local taper and see if you could borrow one for the night.  again if worse comes to worse and you can't find an opti cable you can atleast still tape and use the rca outs on the ua-5 > line in JB3, not ideal but you'll walk away with the show at least. damn, had i known earlier today I could have sent you one out to use.

best of luck, hopefully you can come up with something
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: Local dealer for 1/8 male optical adapter / possibly screwed !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:26:32 PM »
The part # you want is a rat shack 15-1584 (toslink>miniplug)

It is discontinued though, so you'll have to search.

Not sure why RS keeps discontinuing every part I use. At least there are other sources of this adapter. I still can't find a replacement for the adaptaplug 12v socket.  :( >:(

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

spearheadtaper

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »
going to go through the audio / video section of the phonebook and hopefully find something.....

almost funny...2,000 grand in equipment and can't use it because I can't located a 5 dollar adaptor :P

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 09:45:38 PM »
I've got a RA Optical > Mini  adapter you're welcome to use. I'm just south of Norman so meeting you somewhere in the metro shouldn't be a problem (not sure I'm gonna make it to YMSB Wednesday or I'd just bring it with me). If anyplace in the city has it Ford Audio at I-40 and Meridian would be the place; however, getting small consumer items out of them is difficult. If you aren't a large commercial account or need at least 5k worth of equipment they make it exceedingly difficult to purchase from them. That's why I use them as a last resort. I'd rather have someone air freight an item to me than deal with Ford Audio.

<edit> for the RCA >XLR Guitar Center at 63rd & May, Brooks-Mays/Larsen Music @ 63rd & Portland, Guitar Shack on north May (about 79th?) or a couple of places in Norman  (Norman Music or Campus Music/TV) should have that </edit>
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 09:49:54 PM by flipp »

spearheadtaper

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »
thanks for the info..... I am going to call ford audio tomorrow and beg them to sell one to me....even if they mark it up :P

nice to know that there is someone I can borrow from if need be...hopefully somewhere here or tulsa will have one....

hoping to be able to do a nice living room test run tomorrow to make sure all is running good

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 10:24:38 PM »
try wallmart, bestbuy or circuit city
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »
I went to rat shack today, and asked for the RCA > 1/8" stereo cable...didnt have

so i had to go w/ 1/4" and then with the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to get into jb3...does this make a difference at all?
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 12:26:50 AM »
I went to rat shack today, and asked for the RCA > 1/8" stereo cable...didnt have

so i had to go w/ 1/4" and then with the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to get into jb3...does this make a difference at all?

just more adapters (read: things that can go wrong) in the chain.  my biggest concern would be the added weight / stress placed on the jb3's jack... its been known to be fussy.  should work without an issue though.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 10:12:08 AM »
I bought an optical cable at wal mart and it came with two adapters $14 for that, maybe try that.

That said, I have an extra adapter around here i can toss in to the mail for you if you can't find one.

-sanjay
mics & cameras

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 05:28:56 PM »
purchase a sony md unit, use the cable, and then return it.    :-X
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 05:36:42 PM »
purchase a sony md unit, use the cable, and then return it.    :-X

good idea if you can find a Sony MD version that records at all, tried the local Sony Outlet and they didnt even have one, just a bunch of models that didnt have mic in or line in, so if you cant find one there...I dont know where you would  ???
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 05:57:45 PM »
Walmart or Best Buy will have exactly what you're looking for.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com