Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD-500 Problems  (Read 6690 times)

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: AD-500 Problems
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 07:31:35 PM »
Wow the guy already sent me $120.00 for repairs! :o  via paypal. Now thats cool.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2005, 08:11:54 PM »
Wow the guy already sent me $120.00 for repairs! :o  via paypal. Now thats cool.

That is the best possible outcome. I hope Paul can fix it and you have a working AD-500 soon.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2005, 10:36:06 PM »

fuck that guy.  he knew there was problems with the unit and didn't disclose it in the auction.  that is the problem with buying gear from ebay, who the hell knows what's wrong with it. 

you are very lucky you got one cent from this seller.
You might be right.Although the setting he supposedly always used does work(soft limit).It's when you switch  it to the on setting (no emphasis) is when it doesnt work until you push the knob in.So he could be telling the truth but I'm kinda with you that he knew it had some issues.He said he never noticed a slightly bent gain knob either :P I really cant see how you could miss that ::).He asked if the box it came in looked damage.Funny,it wasent damaged but,it appeared to have been opened up and not taped back up all the way.I could put half my hand inside the box before I even opened it.It could have just been a really poor packaging job I guess.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 10:33:12 AM »
sounds great brent, i need to call paul now and see if he'll fix mine.  i'm more than happy to throw $120 at this ad500 (mine) to get the power lead fixed.  the crystal didn't die, i just wired a 4pin XLR incorrectly and shorted the unit out. 

thanks for reporting back.

EDIT:

paul said he thinks he can fix my ad500, too.  here's his diagnosis before seeing the unit:

Generally there is a "crowbar" protection circuit which is designed to protect backwards wiring.  The fuse will blow if power is connected backwards, but my assumption is that the protection diode shorted as well.

freaking A, this is great news to start the day.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 10:05:29 AM by todd e »

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »
so i just got a call back from paul!!!!   

;D ;D

Pro-Digital does it again!  Paul has located the problem, fixed the AD500 and it'll be back in my hands by next week.
If Apogee would just come off the schematics, the job would have been much quicker (and cheaper!) but we know that's a conversation for another time and place.

Just letting ya'll know Paul know his ship!

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »
Well the Ad-500 lives.Paul said this thing looked like at one time it was dropped on its face :-X.He spent several hours trying to fix this and only charged me for three hours labor.Unit works great now.Paul is a great guy who knows his shit for sure.He also fixed my backup D-8.I'm so happy this AD-500 is working.After a few brief phone calls with Paul it didnt sound good.I'm so glad he figured it out.Todd glad to hear yours was fixed to.Now I need to make a box for this baby.Anyone have one lying around or have a dead Ad-1000 or 500 with a good box that they would want to part with?

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 04:16:52 PM »
i have an extra box brent, but we're trying to hold onto it for our mini-me (to have them all in boxes!!!!)

i could sent it out to you for dimensions, etc.  that way you can have a good start, all you'd have to do is team up with some grandfather with some wood tools.

alot of folks think that the wire rack is the way to go, but i REALLY prefer my wooden box which is custom fitted.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 06:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the offer Todd.I can get the dimensions off the one thats already on my AD-1000.I just dont have a saw or many tools right now.I'm with you on the custom wooden box.I relly like the design of the one on my Ad-1000.I will probually try to make the same one.

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 09:36:18 PM »
here's a crapy photo,its the only one I have on my computer.I like how its cut out on the sides so It gets good ventilation.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 12:53:43 PM »
so you got a $49 AD500 with a good crystal... nice score!

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 08:23:55 PM »
Right on that it works. I thought you took for sure.  ;D
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com