Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what causes this waveform? one side "higher" on EACH channel  (Read 9945 times)

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: what causes this waveform? one side "higher" on EACH channel
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
If you have clipped your microphones that will also cause asymmetrical waveforms.  That cannot be corrected by a phase rotator.

The recording does not seem to be clipped. 

Offline jj69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 01:53:51 AM »
Here is a two minute sample.  This is completely unedited, not even normalized.  Recorded at 48/24 with AT933 cardioids with a Church 9V battery box into a Sony PCM-M10. 

http://depositfiles.com/files/z4z2nxsxn

Offline jj69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
You mentioned something I should have pointed out.  The sound engineer was indeed a fill-in guy.  In the past, the sound has been excellent, and very, very loud, but comfortable if you're wearing earplugs. 

At this show, the sound was even louder than normal, and although I was wearing my foam earplugs, I kept subconsciously reaching up to be sure they were still in properly because it was so loud.  The sound in the room was not necessarly bad, but not as good as when the usual engineer is working the board. 

The vari-phase rotator in RX2 corrects the shape/appearance of the wave form, but I could not detect any audible change in the sound. 

Do you hear specifific frequencies that need attention? 

Offline jj69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and input. 

I'm not sure the recording is really worth investing a whole lot of time in.  Ironically, I was using no bass rolloff at all at this show. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 07:02:08 PM »
I could not detect any audible change in the sound.
Phase rotators are designed that way; typically they are allpass filters which don't change frequency response.

They are also used in surround matrix encoding.  Surround channel info is phase rotated before being summed with the main L/R channels.  It's that phase difference which is used to 're-extract' the surround signals when decoded. You might notice some intersting effects if you play back your phase-rotated file through a home theater reciever and switch the Dolby/DTS/Logic7/Circle-Surround matrix decoder in/out (or you may not, since your rotated file isn't being summed with a non-rotated reference signal)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jj69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 03:52:06 AM »
Unfortunatey, I just made another recording like this.  It's not as bad as the sample I posted, but the negative side of the wave is slightly larger than the positive side through the duration of the 75 minute recording. 

Now I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my mics.  Can loud PA systems cause this?  These are all hard rock shows at high volume. 

Should I be using the "vari phase rotator" function to "correct" this, or is there a better tool to use on these recordings? 

This really has me concerned now.  I'm worried if a loud show damaged my AT933's (or the card capsules)? 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 07:52:30 AM »
I'd also add a clarification...Page was the first responder when the OP asked this a few months ago and he pointed out that this phenomenon is seen on waveforms with BRASS in the music, not bass...which it appears that the OP may have originally thought he meant.
bRass, yes
I just had a typo above

The waveform I posted in the op was a recording with a trumpet and trombone
It sounds great and after reading pages post I figured that was the answer FOR ME and THIS recording
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jj69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 03:42:10 AM »
Thanks for all the input on this.  I just stumbled onto this thread from a couple of weeks back, and it has all the answers:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=162851.0

I was using the exact same mics (AT933) and my result is exactly the same.  The volume was too much for the mics, and it's soft clipping. 

I've gotta remember to switch to my AT943's with resistor mod for the louder shows. 

Offline Stagger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 07:12:03 PM »
While it is a different case from what turned out to have happened here, I can get that result sometimes with the c34. In this case it is because of the way that the S42 forms the patterns from the 4 diaphragms (2 for each channel). As you move between adding and subtracting different amounts of output from each cap to simulate directionality, you can wind up offsetting the track. It only happens in certain cases and it took me a long while to figure out how it was happening but it can.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 01:45:37 PM »
The other night, I had this issue with the soundboard channels.  The microphones channels are fine.  Was using soundboard tape out (RCA) to DR-680 (XLR) with kind of an old RCA to XLR cable (over 10 years old), may be should get a new one made up.  Using Audacity to process the files and DC offset doesn't help.  Makes it hard to apply a little hard limiter and normalize.  No brass members in the band.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:26:25 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com