Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How can I improve my recordings?  (Read 10031 times)

Offline livingdna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: How can I improve my recordings?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »
Again thanks for all the awesome advise and recommendations in this thread!

I took some of it to use last night. Upped the gain to 5, wore thinner fabric over the mics, ran with no bass cut-off. I do think it's an improvement, although I assume the different venue and my location also played a role. This was in a big venue, recording was done from seated 1st row with absolutely non-obstructed sight of PA.

So next step: Post processing!

Sample: http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/51118518/file.html

stevetoney

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

Would the same analysis apply in a seated show, where there is possibly a bit more distance between you and seat in front of you?

It's simple really.  My goal is to have an unimpededed line between the sound source and the front of my mics (and that the axis of my mics are fairly properly positioned).

You can probably test this yourself at home if you want.  Play music through your stereo and then move some distance away and record it.  Now stand between the stereo and your mics while you're recording.  How much of an impact do hear?  In the first case the mics are picking up both direct and reverberant sound.  In the latter, they only pick up reverberant sound since your body is blocking out/absorbing direct sound. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:16:58 PM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
Incidently, if you've been a taper long, no doubt you've recorded from a mic stand or taped with people that use a stand.  I'm sure you've had situations where you get home and you're amazed to discover that the sound on your recording is better than the sound you heard at the venue.  The above concept of maximizing direct and minimizing reveberant sound is the reason for this.  Our ears tend to hear everything, but directional mics that are well positioned will maximize the direct sound and minimize the reverberant sound.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:18:05 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »
Again thanks for all the awesome advise and recommendations in this thread!

I took some of it to use last night. Upped the gain to 5, wore thinner fabric over the mics, ran with no bass cut-off. I do think it's an improvement, although I assume the different venue and my location also played a role. This was in a big venue, recording was done from seated 1st row with absolutely non-obstructed sight of PA.

So next step: Post processing!

Sample: http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/51118518/file.html

Nice work - definitely sounds a lot better than  your last.   When you say in sight of the PA, where was it in relation to you?  First row can be hard sometimes if you are not near the left/right stacks.   It's rare that there is a PA in the middle facing the audience.  Usually, those are just individual monitors pointed back towards the musician (mainly on the large rock bands I see, this can be different for other types/genres of music).   Sure you'll get something from the instruments on stage, but unless you have permission to place your mics at the lip or on the stage itself, IMHO it will pale in comparison to what's coming out of the stacks.

Thanks for cluing me into Mogwai being on tour.  May get to the Chicago show later this year!
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

Would the same analysis apply in a seated show, where there is possibly a bit more distance between you and seat in front of you?

It's simple really.  My goal is to have an unimpededed line between the sound source and the front of my mics (and that the axis of my mics are fairly properly positioned).

You can probably test this yourself at home if you want.  Play music through your stereo and then move some distance away and record it.  Now stand between the stereo and your mics while you're recording.  How much of an impact do hear?  In the first case the mics are picking up both direct and reverberant sound.  In the latter, they only pick up reverberant sound since your body is blocking out/absorbing direct sound.

The goal is certainly simple enough and one I understand fully. Unfortunately, in practice it is not always a simple goal to attain. I do appreciate the plain talk though.
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 07:17:57 PM »
FWIW I've noticed a big difference in sound quality (positive) once I started using a hat.
Don't move your head too much and you'll be fine.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

stevetoney

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »
The goal is certainly simple enough and one I understand fully. Unfortunately, in practice it is not always a simple goal to attain. I do appreciate the plain talk though.

Yes, when I commented about 'it's simple' I was referring to the concept, not the actual execution.  Getting great stealth recordings is anything but simple.  It's why I almost exclusively tape with a stand now.  ;)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 10:23:39 PM »

Whats funny is that I don't think I've ever met a taper under 6ft. I'm sure they're out there,  just never met one in 20 yrs of doing this.

(waving hand, jumping up and down to be seen)

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »

Whats funny is that I don't think I've ever met a taper under 6ft. I'm sure they're out there,  just never met one in 20 yrs of doing this.

(waving hand, jumping up and down to be seen)

me too, by a good five inches.
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 03:06:12 PM »
Me too.

You probably haven't seen any of us due to the crowd of giants that homes in on us at every single gig...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline livingdna

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
Nice work - definitely sounds a lot better than  your last.   When you say in sight of the PA, where was it in relation to you?  First row can be hard sometimes if you are not near the left/right stacks.   It's rare that there is a PA in the middle facing the audience.  Usually, those are just individual monitors pointed back towards the musician (mainly on the large rock bands I see, this can be different for other types/genres of music).   Sure you'll get something from the instruments on stage, but unless you have permission to place your mics at the lip or on the stage itself, IMHO it will pale in comparison to what's coming out of the stacks.

Thanks for cluing me into Mogwai being on tour.  May get to the Chicago show later this year!

Seated to the left of stage so close to left stack. However, the PA's at the venue were hanging from the ceiling, so I would be kind of below and in front of them rather than at the same level.

You should do ll you can to catch Mogwai on their tour - they put on an amazing show!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
That does sound better, though as you felt still somewhat flat.  The recorded level still seems low but that doesn't seem to be the reason the basic sound feels muffled.  I suspect you're running into the limitations of those mics the way you use them. 

I think you'd feel more sizzle with cardioids especially at any sort of distance, but it's odd that this one seems kind of distant with you being so close, though you may have been in "no man's land" where the direct sound was all to the sides or past you. 

Usually if you can consistently hear limitations in your mics that leave you unsatisfied it is time to upgrade... 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline burris

• Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 06:12:33 PM »
I'm only 5'8" so I wear 5" platforms.  No, I'm not kidding.  In fact, I've even taken to wearing them on the floor at gen ad Phish shows, which I don't tape, just so I can see better (and get some photos without holding the camera over my head.)  When removed they make a pretty decent stool which helps for the hours of waiting required to get a great spot.  Still, someone tall enough to block my vision always, ALWAYS gets right between me and Trey.

burris
"I-eye can see the band oh-kay-ay"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com