Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help transferring problem minidiscs  (Read 1569 times)

Offline gladcarrot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
help transferring problem minidiscs
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a few mini discs that have problems and I was hoping that someone on this board could give me some advice or has the expertise to attempt to transfer these.

I used a glitchy Sharp MD-SR60 to tape these concerts.  They all started off fine but at some point, they stopped.  The recordings SHOULD be there, but there was some problem with finalizing the disc(?).

1)   Silk Road Project with Yo Yo Ma, August 15, 2010, Orchestra Hall, Detroit, Michigan

The first half of the show was successfully taped although it’s very quiet.  There was an usher standing next to me the whole time and I got nervous and never adjusted the volume.  It’s the second half of the show, after intermission that did not finalize. 

2)   System of a Down, August 14, 2012, DTE Enery Music Theater, Clarkston, Michigan

I did not stay for the whole show.  The group of white trash in front of me was so distracting and annoying that I couldn’t pay attention to the concert and just ended up leaving.  I did not tape the Deftones.

3)   Tricky, December 19, 2010, Doug Fir Lounge, Portland, Oregon

Tricky did not hit Detroit on this tour so I sent my recorder to my friend in Portland to tape for me since this date is my birthday.  I felt like a jerk for sending her to a show with faulty recording equipment so this is the tape I am most interested in salvaging.

4)   Hanzel und Gretyl, March 6, 2010, Sky Bar, Bowling Green, Ohio

This situation is different.  This recording is so full of drop outs as to render it useless.  It recorded the whole time, but most of the tape is silent.  Something is wrong with this disc.  I previously used it to tape Peter Murphy at Clutch Cargo’s in Pontiac, Michigan.  Everything went fine while at the show, but on the way home for reasons unknown, the disc started to overwrite itself and I lost the recording! 

5)   nine inch nails, October 14, 2005, Savvis Center, St. Louis, Missouri

This recording was made by Hazekiah.  I do not know the equipment he used.  I tried three different players and none of them will read the disc.  I transferred 50-60 of his shows and this is the only disc that had problems. 

I’m trying to tie up my last few loose ends with mini discs and close this chapter of my taping career.  I use a Sony PCM-M10 now.   
Thoughts/suggestions?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: help transferring problem minidiscs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 06:16:42 PM »
there are some table top MD recorders which will take care of this for you (essentially by writing a TOC that says the entire disc is one big audio file) and then you transfer it once. I remember reading about it when I was doing research but it's only a handful of recorders that will. Second, it's not a feature so much as a bug that people have figured out how to exploit. minidisc.org has the info stashed somewhere. Look for "TOC Replacement" or "TOC Swapping" or something like that.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com