Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Android App or TASCAM DR-07MKII (w/ $20 rebate)?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline psychwolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Android App or TASCAM DR-07MKII (w/ $20 rebate)?
« on: April 06, 2014, 02:05:58 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm bringing up an old topic perhaps -- but it's a relevant one, since it brought me here to ponder with all of you. Essentially, are standalone recorders like the Tascam worth it? Or is it more future-proof (and cheaper without sacrificing quality) to go with a quality paid android recorder, and spend more on mics?

I'm new to recording and I can really only afford a Tascam on rebate + a pair of these basic Sound Professionals in-ear Binaurals: http://amzn.com/B002N6PAMM. I feel like if I went with a decent android recorder, I could put more into mics. I tend to record a lot of rock shows and I don't want to be holding anything up during a show, but I'm afraid these binaural mics I got may not be good enough to tackle loud music?

I was impressed by the basic mics on the Tascam -- especially if I stand it up in smaller clubs or outdoor venues where I'm sitting to catch a show or even my own.  I also liked the Tascam since I can record on a microSD and have long battery life vs draining my phone.

Thanks for any help steering me in the right direction, debating this with limited resources to spend on the best of them all. And also, hello all.

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
Re: Android App or TASCAM DR-07MKII (w/ $20 rebate)?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
A lot of phones either don't really support stereo inputs or are just not suited for recording loud things. A standalone recorder is the way to go.

I looked into this like 6 months ago, because I had the same idea. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:33:03 PM by nihilistic0 »
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Definitely purchase a dedicated recorder.  As stated, phones aren't designed to handle the things we want them to do.  Another option is to shop on the yard sale for used gear.  There is plenty of gear that turns over constantly on this site (& even more sitting in closets people have half-forgotten about).  Good luck w/ this addiction!

Edit to add - why not buy directly from SP too?  http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-TFB-2
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:16:08 PM by trustthex »
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:26:57 PM »
This looks pretty exhaustive, and recent, and not too promising with the current state of Android phones.

http://www.wildmountainechoes.com/equipment/audio-recording-with-a-smartphone/

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
Just buy real gear.  You get what you pay for.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com