Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix recording advice?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Matrix recording advice?
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:19:38 PM »
So, I've finally gotten my KC5s and Schoeps ORTF bar. This Saturday, my local venue (with benefits) the Stage Stop in Rollinsville, CO is hosting members of Elephant Revival with Special Guests and this will be the first time I run my new setup. I have a mount on top of the rafter about 15' from stage DFC with XLRs running about 100' (zig-zagged overhead across the rafters) back to the soundboard; which will be plugged into the SBD in the MTX input. The board is a Midas Venice U24, and I will be running Schoeps MK4> KC5> 100' XLR>SBD into its own channel (not PA'd) > Matrix out> Tascam HD-P2.
I will have complete control over the Matrix output , as well as the mix of SBD/AUD.
Anyone have any experience with running this SBD and/or type of setup? I'm looking for some guidance on levels and mix ratio of SBD/AUD.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to look for what to expect, as its my first time doing this, and while not a show I'm concerned over messing up, I'd like to do it right the first time.
TIA,
Coby
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Matrix recording advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »
Might be hard to build a on the fly mix with that console's matrix routing...depends on how the mix is built/number of channels.

Is it possible you can bring a laptop and use the consoles USB interface? Looks like you can grab 8 Channels - or sub groups

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
I've previously done two seperate recordings and have done the matrix in post. It turned out really good, but the engineer wants to try this b/c he wants to hear what it would sound like-so I am game. I agree that "on the fly" isn't an ideal situation, as once it's captured there isn't much room for editing when dealing with the HD-P2. Just wondered if anyone had experience, or know how of what to do/expect.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:48:33 PM by cobiwan »
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:56:19 PM »
IME - the secret is not to announce you mics too much - even at 15 feet, you'll hear some time difference.

But if you keep you mic level low enough - you'll get some benefit from them - but not announce the delay too much.

I'd say - in headphones, just enough for you to hear the room mics in your mix...the result will range from - "somewhat natural" too "old school live FM"

Sucks for tapers - because we love to hear our mics!

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:58:35 PM »
That's very helpful. TY!
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:39:37 PM »
You can time-code sync your P2 to another P2 (if you can borrow one) and run 4 channel.  Then mix them as you want later...

You'll still hear delay from one to the other at first.  But since they both ran off the same clock, you can fix that and line them up perfectly since there isn't any time-stretch b/w the two tapes...

Terry
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:42:48 PM by twatts (Where Are My Pants?) »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:29 AM »
Thanks Terry,
Unfortunately, I don't have a second P2 available ATM. I have an M-10 on the way very soon; and have access to a DR 100-mkII, but that's neither here nor there.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:29:04 AM »
UPDATE: it's actually a Midas Venice f32 btw. Shows how much I know...
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »
Oh well...  It was an idea...

Good luck!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
If they are running a DSBD, the engineer shoud be able to build a delay into the signal they are sending you.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com