Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 users....a/d stage opinions?  (Read 26387 times)

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
Re: 722 users....a/d stage opinions?
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2005, 03:56:58 PM »
Maybe a better idea to use the wife permission to upgrade. Who has my suggestions for a heady $2300 upgrade?  ;D

mytek 192> microtracker

b*itch!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Ray76

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2005, 03:58:26 PM »
hey ray, just heard robbie fulks on the radio, great stuff. ;D

whatd i tell you!

;D

you shoulda taped him back yonder.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2005, 04:03:52 PM »
before i could justify going 24bit it was higher priority to upgrade my playback. 

I took the opposite view.  My feeling was that I could always upgrade playback gear later but anything I recorded at 16-bit was going to stay  16-bit.  There's no going back and recording a show. 

But if someone wasn't interesting in 24-bit recording, I'd still recommend the upgraded playback system because there is so much 24-bit material floating around now. 

I can't recall who asked, but upgrading your playback system does not mean that all your 16-bit sources will sound like crap.  Nick did some comparison and found outboard upsampling DACs to do wonderful things with redbook sources, so wonderful that the margin between 24-bit and 16-bit was small compared to the increased price of the 24-bit recording gear and authoring hassles.  Seach, it's in the playback forum somewhere.

Even though the 722 front end may not be the best, it's still a damn tolerable one-box solution considering that you can run with nothing more than mics and mic cables.  All these brutally good 16 bit stealth rigs are sweet, but they are not as small when combined and you have many points of failure when you wire up all those pieces.    The 722 is as plug and play simple as it gets.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

marc0789

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2005, 04:08:27 PM »
I guess to me, all this boils down to is: by dropping an outboard a/d and potentially a preamp too, am I losing any gain in resolution through settling for lesser quality preamplification and a/d conversion? If I could carry all the stuff, I'd run 4022>148>mme>722, but that ain't gonna happen.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2005, 04:19:55 PM »
I guess to me, all this boils down to is: by dropping an outboard a/d and potentially a preamp too, am I losing any gain in resolution through settling for lesser quality preamplification and a/d conversion? If I could carry all the stuff, I'd run 4022>148>mme>722, but that ain't gonna happen.

I don't think you are losing resolution as much as you are getting the characteristic sound of the 722 front end.  If you like the sound of the 722 front end, then you will be happy.  Otherwise, you'll run gear in front like most of the people I see running the 722.

I like it well enough that I am very satisfied with it as a standalone box when I don't want to carry all the other crap (or can't because of low profile situation).  When I'm feeling like I want to carry more, I'll bring along the V3. 

I have not yet authored to DVD any of my V3>722 so I can't comment on how much difference there is or which I like.  Just going on what I heard of the 722 recordings I've pulled and head phone samples of the others, I'm inclined to think I'll prefer the V3>AES over V3>Line or pure 722 for those open taping situations.

marc0789

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2005, 04:21:35 PM »
again, we're talking minor differences, I'm more impressed by the a/d on the 722 than on any deck Iv'e ever run. Have yet to hear any mic in 722 tapes.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2005, 04:27:10 PM »
That mule show I taped in february was mic in - the torrent for that may still be up.  If not, you are welcome to B&P, I've got a dozen shows that are KM140 or KM143 mic in to the 722.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2005, 04:40:36 PM »
Sobel has a great point regarding upgrades.  I've always thought that I'd record with the best gear I can grab, then when that day comes when I no longer care to record, I sell the recording investment and dump it into playback.  However, now that I've put together a modest playback system, I have to admit that I have way more fun listening at home than I do recording at most shows.  Its tough to beat having friends over and listening at your own convenience and truly appreciating a fine recording.  Also, its tough to put a lot of stock in an opinion on rec. gear when you can't play it back on something that makes the nuances very apparent.  A nice set of cans coupled with a nice headphone amp does the trick, but for me, its not nearly as fun as enjoying it with friends, buts that just my opinioin.

So Marc, my point is that the Dino Jr. show sounds great considering the room issues.  I really like the sound of your rig and its obvious that you do to...  you've had that rig for how long now???  In the 4 years I've known your persona, you've never been settled on something this long, so I don't see you needing to change just for the sake of changing.

No offense, Ray, but I hear a little of the pot calling the kettle black when you tell him to go with his instincts..  you have asked for opinions on what seems like every purchase and then some.

marc0789

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2005, 04:54:23 PM »
4022's for 4 years, m148 for two, modsbm1 for a year, only because of the back stuff, killed me to give up the mme and hhb. So as far as gear changing goes, I'm mostly talk.  :P I really do like the sound of my stuff, so might leave things alone, other than long over due playback upgrade.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2005, 04:54:46 PM »
again, we're talking minor differences, I'm more impressed by the a/d on the 722 than on any deck Iv'e ever run. Have yet to hear any mic in 722 tapes.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=15855

but i forgot, you can't download :)

marc0789

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2005, 04:56:41 PM »
damn, bet that knopfler was great!

just remembered....davis laid a couple of 4022>744 discs on me, have yet to really listen...thanks Scott.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2005, 06:14:20 PM »
knopfler can flat out play the guitar.  jesus...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2005, 06:19:15 PM »
marc - your tapes are great, really, really nice... I definitely look forward to hearing one of your recordings, and there's only a handful of other tapers who fall into that category

if you like the rig the playback is the way to go.... I'm with Boswell.

also I think you can stretch your dollar futher in playback gear 8)

Scott's knopfler tape is really nice, I listen to that one quite regularly... scott would also be in that handful of tapers :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2005, 07:32:34 AM »
dontcha worry about a new set of speakers...you'll get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers..
- B. Joel.

home stereo upgrade for $2300?
come talk to me about some Von Schweikerts.
:)

marc0789

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2005, 09:53:10 AM »
marc - your tapes are great, really, really nice... I definitely look forward to hearing one of your recordings, and there's only a handful of other tapers who fall into that category

if you like the rig the playback is the way to go.... I'm with Boswell.

also I think you can stretch your dollar futher in playback gear 8)

Scott's knopfler tape is really nice, I listen to that one quite regularly... scott would also be in that handful of tapers :)

thanks for the fluff tim. ;D wife gave me a look when I brought up the upgrade, she knows that means > volume. 8)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com