Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DVD, Sony & Tekeon battery refurbishing( was TS.com needs battery maker)  (Read 4927 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Moving this to it's own thread so it is easier to follow.  The topic changes from a battery maker to referb batteries  here in the old thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153801.msg1948290#msg1948290

And to start off the new thread here are pictures of the first finished DVD battery upgraded to over 10,000 mAh total.  Pictures show finished product, lights working with the charge that the batteries shipped with and the charger hooked up showing charge.  I'll keep you posted on the battery life, etc.   

The Retail thread is here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.0

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:11:04 PM by kirkd »

kirk97132

Re: DVD & Tekeon battery refurbishing( was TS.com needs battery maker)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »
All done!  Voltage good to go.................

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »
Great job Kirk and thanks for the photos.

I got a question for you - what is the possibility of refurbishing a Lenmar DVDU923 to a higher capacity? It is considerably smaller than the regular dvd batts so I image the internals are different. I would be interested in boosting the capacity of this sucker as 2300mah is pretty low.

Thanks for your efforts thus far.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
Great job Kirk and thanks for the photos.

I got a question for you - what is the possibility of refurbishing a Lenmar DVDU923 to a higher capacity? It is considerably smaller than the regular dvd batts so I image the internals are different. I would be interested in boosting the capacity of this sucker as 2300mah is pretty low.

Thanks for your efforts thus far.
Is the Lenmar really smaller?  From the pictures it looks to be the exact same case size as the other DVD batteries.  A quick measurement shows the DVD batteries I have to be 6"Wide x 3.5" deep x 7/8"tall.  I fully expect yours to measure out at those same numbers.  Assuming that it is the same size case, it can be upgraded.  The internals don't have any effect on the capacity, that is all relative to the batteries that are used in them.  The internals control the voltage step up.  And the regulate the charging cycle, a very critical feature with Li-ion battery.  Over charging or shorts can lead to a battery catching on fire.  SO, considering that ever other DVD battery of this particular case style uses the 18650 battery in groups.  You could upgrade your battery to a substantially higher capacity.  How much is up to you.  since I ask for you to supply a battery that has the solder tabs already this means the highest capacity battery I have found with them is the 4200 mAh cells.  That puts you in the 10,000mAh total rating, which is almost 5 times more than you have now.  Let me know if you have any more questions, Kirk

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:21 PM »
My bad, my eyes ain't what they used to be, and it shows you how long since I've used it...looks like this one will be upgraded in the future.Thanks for your reply.

Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

kirk97132

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »
My bad, my eyes ain't what they used to be, and it shows you how long since I've used it...looks like this one will be upgraded in the future.Thanks for your reply.

Battery order takes almost three weeks for delivery. 

kirk97132

and Tekkeon 3300 pix......

kirk97132

Pictures up of a Tekkeon MP-3300 with retofitted 18650 cells:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=153993.msg1963282#msg1963282

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
I have a few dead DVD batteries and I picked up a bunch of the 18650's to do refurbs about a year ago, never got around to it.
- I had some older DVD batteries with NiMH instead of Lion.  I presume it's a bad idea to change the 18650's to Lion?  Different charging profile?
- how do you get the DVD batteries apart?  It took me about 15 minutes with a screwdriver prying and twisting.  I thought about using a cut off wheel
  on a dremel tool, but don't want to accidentally cut too deep.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
I have a few dead DVD batteries and I picked up a bunch of the 18650's to do refurbs about a year ago, never got around to it.
- I had some older DVD batteries with NiMH instead of Lion.  I presume it's a bad idea to change the 18650's to Lion?  Different charging profile?
- how do you get the DVD batteries apart?  It took me about 15 minutes with a screwdriver prying and twisting.  I thought about using a cut off wheel

I started at the plugs. Insert screwdriver in the space around connector, twist and you'll hear a pop!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

kirk97132

IF THEY ARE ULTRAFIRE BATTERIES DON"T DO IT.....these batteries are the worst brand on the market and fall short of advertised specs, I guess if your DVD is totally dead than they are way better than what you have now.  A lot of info in the retail thread about this
Patience is the best advice I have.  I would not use a powered cutting tool for the exact reason you cite.  I just try not to damage the case.  If your lucky you'll get a pop, otherwise...patience grasshopper.....
As for changing out NimH.....It's all about the shut off when the battery is charged.  Overcharging Li-Ion can lead to fire.  Since I know nothing about the circuits inside of these, I wouldn't do it. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:39:51 AM by kirkd »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com