Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony m-10 Battery Pack  (Read 5495 times)

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
Sony m-10 Battery Pack
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
What do most people use for the Sony m-10?  I am planing on using my new one at an upcoming festival and want something I can use for the whole weekend and also use for my Zoom H4N as well.  I have been using Lithium energizers in my Zoom for now but want something that will last longer and produce less waste.  Can I run the lithium energizers in my new M-10 as well? And if so how many hours can i expect to get out of them?

If anyone has any feedback on a good, somewhat inexpensive option that I can use for both units please post.

I'm a newb so thanks for the feedback!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: Sony m-10 Battery Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
A single pair of alkaline batteries will run the m10 for hours and hours (20-30, maybe more?).  I've been running mine on the same pair since the Pleistocene. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
A single pair of alkaline batteries will run the m10 for hours and hours (20-30, maybe more?).  I've been running mine on the same pair since the Pleistocene.
X2

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
As others said, you don't really need it, but if you really want extra battery life, this most likely would work:

http://www.batteryspace.com/batteryholderaax4withusbinterfaceconnectorandbeltcliponoffpowerswitch-rohscompliant.aspx

Get a radio shack USB chord with changeable tips.  M10 uses a size A tip.  Zoom probably uses a size M (assuming since thats what the H4 apparently  used)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:05:47 PM »
I imagine you could also use the Digicom DC-EPP3000 Power Pack.  It appears to be an updated (and less expensive) version of the iConcepts PP-99, which I own and have good results with on my R-09 and R-05.  Since the Sony requires the same power as the Edirol/Roland decks, I'd bet it would work just fine.  As a single caveat, I had to pick up some adapt-a-plugs and a short cable at Radioshack as the tips that came with the power pack didn't fit my recorders.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
holocene

three times now the battery has gone down one bar, and then the next time i turn it on it is back to full charge.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:47:11 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
Can I run the lithium energizers in my new M-10 as well? And if so how many hours can i expect to get out of them?

I would never do this unless the very long run times provided by alkalines or rechargeables aren't long enough for your purposes. The only situation I can think of where you might want longer run times than provided by rechargeables would be unattended nature recording. Even for festivals, you just swap out the batteries at the end of each day.

No recorders I know of have have a setting to calibrate the battery meter for lithiums. You'll never know when they need to be replaced. With most recorders, the meter will show battery full until very shortly before it goes dead.

I recommend low self discharge NiMh's like the Imedion 2400 mAhs.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:29:55 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »
I just posted in another thread on the same subject- NiMH from the hardware store work fine, especially for something that draws so little current. Procedure with recharging is required- always put a pair of fairly well discharged batteries in together and make sure they charge for some good solid hours. No reason to fill the landfill with toxic waste, rechargeables are also recycleable.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
I switch out my 2300mah Energizer Rechargeable AA's round the 15 hour mark :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
No recorders I know of have have a setting to calibrate the battery meter for lithiums. You'll never know when they need to be replaced. With most recorders, the meter will show battery full until very shortly before it goes dead.

While this is probably true, I don't really see it as a big deal.  The number of bars on our meters is just an indication of the battery voltage.  New lithiums spec out at the same voltage as new rechargeables, so I'd think you could get a good general indication of the amount of juice left if you just choose a battery type that has a comparable starting voltage as your lithium. 

As far as the manner in which the bars disappear, that also is just a function of the fact that voltage drops fast as the battery depletes itself...which is no different between a rechargeable and a lithium if you check the battery discharge curves in the spec sheets.

Offline tapinfool

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 01:41:36 PM »

While this is probably true, I don't really see it as a big deal.  The number of bars on our meters is just an indication of the battery voltage.  New lithiums spec out at the same voltage as new rechargeables, so I'd think you could get a good general indication of the amount of juice left if you just choose a battery type that has a comparable starting voltage as your lithium. 

As far as the manner in which the bars disappear, that also is just a function of the fact that voltage drops fast as the battery depletes itself...which is no different between a rechargeable and a lithium if you check the battery discharge curves in the spec sheets.

i run nothing but lithiums

i get 60+ hrs of recording time

for instance i put new ones in on march 8th 2012. have recorded at least 40 hrs since then.
and i just finished up 20hrs of recording at a festie this past weekend and still have full bars.

i always have 2 fresh lithiums on hand and can swap them out in less than a minute.

i won't run anything else in my m-10
before curiosity kills it, the cat learns more of the world than a hundred uninquisitive dogs ~ tom robbins

i never was much of a petty thief. i wanted the whole world or nothing ~ h.c. bukowski

coincidence is the universe's way of reminding us what's really going on

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »

i run nothing but lithiums

i get 60+ hrs of recording time

for instance i put new ones in on march 8th 2012. have recorded at least 40 hrs since then.
and i just finished up 20hrs of recording at a festie this past weekend and still have full bars.

i always have 2 fresh lithiums on hand and can swap them out in less than a minute.

i won't run anything else in my m-10

Damn, 60+ hours ??? Thats INSANE buddy ;D 8)

But youve only recorded 40hrs since that moe. show? Slacker :P ;D J/K Kev ;D

I have recorded around 200+ hours this summer at 3 Phish shows and Summer Camp/Electric Forest/All Good/Rootwire :) Recording all that shit has KILLED me tho. I wont be done uploading those HOURS of recordings til next May probably :P Just in time for Summer Camp ;D

Thats why I sold my Busman BSC2 rig. Recording 2 stages at big festies just isnt for me :( Its just TOO damn much work :P 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com