Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Analog set up  (Read 7729 times)

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Analog set up
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
My buddies were all running Sony D5's and they were solid machines.  I got a Sony D3 in the late 80's and I loved that recorder, great little stealth deck.  I still have it but I would never us it again. It got put in retirement when i switched over to DAT in 93 and it sure was nice not to worry about flipping tapes.  I would go with a D5 if you really want to play around with analog in the field.
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline IMPigpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »
My buddies were all running Sony D5's and they were solid machines.  I got a Sony D3 in the late 80's and I loved that recorder, great little stealth deck.  I still have it but I would never us it again. It got put in retirement when i switched over to DAT in 93 and it sure was nice not to worry about flipping tapes.  I would go with a D5 if you really want to play around with analog in the field.

I got started with a Sony D3 too.  The only thing I hated about it was that sometimes the tape jammed at the flip.  I upgraded to a D6 and don't remember having that problem.  I usually used XLII or XLIIS 100min tapes for mastering since you could actually get 52-53 minutes per side.  Of course then I upgraded to a Tascam DA-P1 and DAT!
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »
I still have my D6, but there's something wrong with it and I don't see much point in getting it fixed.  I also have a tough time parting with it because of the sentimental value.   :zoomie1:
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »
I still have my D6, but there's something wrong with it and I don't see much point in getting it fixed.  I also have a tough time parting with it because of the sentimental value.   :zoomie1:

Funny story, I ended up selling my D6 back in early 2000 to a guy I knew who wanted to get into taping since I had gone digital.   It was Ben Collette, who's now an audio engineer who manages Phish's studio, the Barn, in VT and his own studio in Burlington, VT.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 05:40:20 PM »
I still have my D6. I had a D5 for only a year or so before going DAT, so didn't have too much heartache moving it along. I threw away my TCD-D3 (DAT) because it came down with a serious case of sticky rubber-itis. In hindsight I suppose I should have seen if anybody wanted it for parts or something before chucking it.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 07:02:43 PM »
The TCD-D5 series had a better transport, with audibly lower flutter than the WM-D6 or -D3, particularly if a tape cassette had higher than normal friction. On the other hand, the later version of the -D6 offered Dolby "C" noise reduction. I never understood why Sony didn't add that to the D5.

When interruptions are expected, patching for multiple recorders needs to be done on a "star" basis--splitting the signal at the source rather than passing it through one recorder into another.

From about 1973 to maybe 1981 I recorded concerts with a Nagra IV-SD + QGB large reel adapter. Even at 3-3/4 ips that deck sounded good. But when the PCM-F1 came out, I bought one from Laox in Tokyo and never looked back. I think that the experience of analog tape recording can be instructive for people who've never done it, but it doesn't offer any overall sonic advantage over digital recording, unless one happens to like a particular type of distortion in a particular situation.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:05:25 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
DSatz does the Nagra record 2 channel?
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »
There are full track (mono) as well as half track (stereo) versions of the Nagra--I've got 5 Nagras here for various transfer purposes and I'm attempting purchase my unicorn--the Nagra T.  Would round out the collection nicely!

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/nagra-t-audio/

Someone asked earlier if reliable open reel tape is available and the answer is a resounding YES!!!  ATR Magnetics here in PA is pumping out some very high quality tape, so if anyone wants to dust off their decks, have at it!!  They are making all sizes--1/4", 1/2", 1", 2" and also are able to supply most accessories needed for geeks like us--splicing tape, leader, hold down tape, takeup reels, etc.  Last I heard, they started slitting 1/8" cassette tape as well

https://www.atrtape.com/

And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 05:11:01 PM »

Same here. Still have my D5. Hasn’t worked in years. I have the case, original AC adapter, box and service manual. Strap got lost somewhere along the road. I’ll never part with it. Not that it’s worth anything. Too many memories.

But to get back on topic. Definitely look for a D5.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:06 PM »

Same here. Still have my D5. Hasn’t worked in years. I have the case, original AC adapter, box and service manual. Strap got lost somewhere along the road. I’ll never part with it. Not that it’s worth anything. Too many memories.

But to get back on topic. Definitely look for a D5.

still have one of my D5s left... but it hasn't ran in years

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
If I had to do it all over again - I would have used Type I normal bias tapes w/NR - (preferably Dolby C) and hammered the levels.

Later day experiments taught me - we were doing it all wrong!

Much like the sea of shotguns we used to see at shows - slick and fancy looking - but ultimately the wrong choice!

Once we had the internet - a lot of this got cleared up!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:39:15 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 07:08:49 PM »
If I had to do it all over again - I would have used Type I normal bias tapes w/NR - (preferably Dolby C) and hammered the levels.

Later day experiments taught me - we were doing it all wrong!

Much like the sea of shotguns we used to see at shows - slick and fancy looking - but ultimately the wrong choice!

Once we had the internet - a lot of this got cleared up!

I get the levels comment and the shotguns one but not the type 1  arent metal cassettes better? I know there were even some with ceramic cases  certainly they held to stricter quality guidelines  no?

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 07:20:01 PM »
I just pulled my D5 out of mothballs to see if it would work. It plays back just fine but the record head doesn't engage when pressing down on the control.
Weird....I need to figure this out so I can make a couple analog recordings for old times sake!

Offline sdc

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »

I get the levels comment and the shotguns one but not the type 1  arent metal cassettes better? I know there were even some with ceramic cases  certainly they held to stricter quality guidelines  no?
[/quote]

I gotta say that my metal tapes, almost all from Maxell, have not held up as well as my XLII and XLII-S. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2019, 01:42:55 AM »
Type I tape has a characteristic distortion which is often sought-after in order to recreate a "classic" sound. Note that most studio recordings on analog tape were done with (professional quality, wide) Type I tape.

Essentially, Type I tape distortion on peaks sounds euphonic, and you can use it effectively as a limiter in recording situations.

Chrome and Metal tape don't sound good when they distort, but they do provide substantially higher dynamic range. It can, and often is, argued that Rock & Roll and other forms of loud music can be recorded just fine with the level of peak distortion Type I provides. Type II and IV are quieter, but may not sound as rockin' when you hammer the levels.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 01:44:57 AM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com