Gear / Technical Help > Cables

cable testers

(1/2) > >>

ThePiedPiper:
Can you test a cable that has had the 4.7k mod? I have some cables that I want to test (some with, some without the mod) and I just want to make sure that they test OK. So, will the mod affect the testing?

voltronic:
All a simple cable tester will do is tell you if you have continuity or not, so I don't think it should matter.

Gutbucket:
Agreed, the mod shouldn't affect a continuity test. 

However, a more advanced tester might also test for shorting between conductors, and that could conceivably be tripped by the resistive "short" introduced by the mod, depending on the threshold of the test circuit. But that is little more than educated speculation.

goodcooker:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on June 27, 2019, 07:05:58 PM --- tester might also test for shorting between conductors, and that could conceivably be tripped by the resistive "short" introduced by the mod

--- End quote ---

Gutbucket's educated speculation is correct. Most testers will show you if the cable has continuity from one end to the other but it will also show a short or fault from the resistor that is installed.

voltronic:

--- Quote from: goodcooker on June 30, 2019, 11:52:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Gutbucket on June 27, 2019, 07:05:58 PM --- tester might also test for shorting between conductors, and that could conceivably be tripped by the resistive "short" introduced by the mod

--- End quote ---

Gutbucket's educated speculation is correct. Most testers will show you if the cable has continuity from one end to the other but it will also show a short or fault from the resistor that is installed.

--- End quote ---

Come to think of it, my cable tester has that function as well, but I wasn't considering it since I do not have any cables wired this way.

BTW, I picked this up a few months ago, and love it.  As someone who makes Ethernet cables all the time, it was great to find this capability along with the audio connectors I use.  Note that it doesn't test TS cables properly, though it does TRS.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1267704-REG/behringer_ct200_8_in_1_cable_tester_mcrprcssr_cntrlled.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version