Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Outdoor Festival Windscreens  (Read 16619 times)

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
Outdoor Festival Windscreens
« on: March 12, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Trying to decide on the BA Shures or a pair of Rycote Softies for outdoor festival use. I will be running them on the MK41 > KCY setup. Rycote's seems  little more versitle, not interested in the Movo or other light colored fur or slip-on options.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Outdoor Festival Windscreens
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 01:45:03 PM »
The Rode WS8 works great for me, and much cheaper than the Rycote option.

I can understand not wanting the white / gray Movo clone of the Softie, but Movo also makes a Super Softie clone that is all black:
http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline caymanreview

• shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
I really like the looks of those ws8's. Im gonna order a pair

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:15:47 PM »
Do the BA Shures provide more protection than the rycote/rode fur options?

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 06:13:12 PM »
Do the BA Shures provide more protection than the rycote/rode fur options?
We use the Shure A81WS for our AKg 460 mics, I have not used the Rycote/rode's but I can say the Shures do a wonderful job. 
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68646-REG/Shure_A81WS_A81WS_Windscreen_for.html/SHA81WS
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
I've used the Rycote Softies (and DPA's UA0896 with dead rats) and the Softies did a nice job in a pretty windy environment with MK41's.  I'm the BA Shure's will do the trick as well.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 09:18:51 AM »
I have both the BAShures and Softies.  I haven't had an issue with either of them as far as the wind goes, so if price is your primary factor I'd probably go with the Shures because they're cheaper.  That said, I definitely prefer the softies.  The rear rubber seal is superior for ensuring the screen stays in place, which admittedly isn't much of an issue on the BAShures either but could be if you're using short mics, such as in the case of active setups.  I also like how I can throw them in my bag and even if they're packed in there, they spring right back to original shape immediately.  The Softies also excel when exposed to rain IMHO because the foam and fur material doesn't retain water.  After rain, just give it a squeeze and a shake to get any moisture out, then comb or fluff the fur and they're pretty much back to original again.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »

I can understand not wanting the white / gray Movo clone of the Softie, but Movo also makes a Super Softie clone that is all black:
http://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM

I like the looks of both of those options.  If you purchased the black Movo clone of the Super Softie would you recommend the 3m or 6cm version for Nbob actives of the Gefell/Schoeps variety and would you recommend the 3m or 6cm versionfor Milab VM-44 Links?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 12:47:03 PM »

I like the looks of both of those options.  If you purchased the black Movo clone of the Super Softie would you recommend the 3m or 6cm version for Nbob actives of the Gefell/Schoeps variety and would you recommend the 3m or 6cm versionfor Milab VM-44 Links?

Well, I'd go with something no bigger than the WS8, as that is just the right size for my CM3s and X-Qs, and they are about the size of actives.  It's listed as compatible with the NT6 remote capsule mic.  The WS8 lists its dimensions as 100 x 100 x 100 mm, which I can tell you is just the outer furriness, but it also says:
The WS8 supports microphones of 20mm diameter and 27mm capsule depth.

Unfortunately, Movo has no documentation that the WS or WSTT screens even exist on their website - you only see them on Amazon.  From the 6cm version of the WS80 (white Softie clone) description:
The Movo WS80 fits microphones 18-24mm diameter and up to 6cm long

So transferring that to the WSTT (Super Softie clones), I would say go for the 6cm.  You want some air space in front of the capsule anyway, and if the 3cm turns out to be pretty short you may have to really shove it on there, resulting in worse performance and/or only being able to use it with omni capsules.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 01:06:05 PM »
^
Thanks voltronic!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 01:06:21 PM »
I tried a pair of those Movo WS80 a couple of weekends ago in Miami, with 10-15 mph steady wind (20 mph gusts) coming off Biscayne Bay.

No wind in any of my recordings...I ran CM-300 NAK omni's spread 16' in a small outdoor pavilion.

Great product for the price.  They have earned their place in my gear bag;  I especially like the rubber base seals.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 03:59:32 PM »
Do the Rode WS9 Deluxe fit the Schoeps caps with actives? I like the price! Also do they pack well into a bag?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:07:06 PM by nolamule »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
Do the Rode WS9 Deluxe fit the Schoeps caps with actives? I like the price! Also do they pack well into a bag?

The WS9 is made for mics that are 21mm diameter.  The WS8 (what I'm using) is for 20mm mics.  I doubt that 1mm is going to make much of a difference.  The WS8 is fur around open-cell foam with a rubber ring at the opening that grips against the mic body.  It doesn't "seal" like the Rycote Softie and the Movo clones, but I have had zero problems with wind noise leaking in.  The WS8s could be squished a bit, but I prefer to keep them un-squished in a vinyl banker's bag.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
I tried a pair of those Movo WS80 a couple of weekends ago in Miami, with 10-15 mph steady wind (20 mph gusts) coming off Biscayne Bay.

No wind in any of my recordings...I ran CM-300 NAK omni's spread 16' in a small outdoor pavilion.

Great product for the price.  They have earned their place in my gear bag;  I especially like the rubber base seals.

I also run screens on my omni setups, but only for the odd, direct, strong gust that might ordinarily be inaudible (more or less) with an omni.

Believe me, there were gusts.....but none in my tapes all weekend.  Omnis are optimal in those conditions, of course.  I'm no dummy..

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 06:55:08 AM »

But be aware that Rycote really *do*know the science behind wind protection and the hairy fabric that Rycote use is a very special design and used only by them.

I do know more about it's construction, but I'm not going to go into details on a public forum with details that have been given to me in confidence.  But the construction of Rycote's Windjammer fabric is designed to maximise the supression of wind noise while, at the same time, minimising high frequency loss and colouration.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »
This thread is useless without pictures, eh?.....I agree  8)

What's the abbreviation for "Mics On Top Of Soundboard..?!
MOTSBD?  ;D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

stevetoney

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
^ When it comes to tech notes, I don't particularly care about the mic height all that much except sometimes if there's some loud conversation heard on the recording you can confirm that the mics were at or not much above head height.  Sometimes it's nice to know the left/right orientation of the mics to the SBD since it can sometimes explain some misplaced imaging that's heard on the recording, but I don't usually give that information in my notes if the imaging is good on my recording.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:59:06 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »

The WS9 is made for mics that are 21mm diameter.  The WS8 (what I'm using) is for 20mm mics.  I doubt that 1mm is going to make much of a difference.  The WS8 is fur around open-cell foam with a rubber ring at the opening that grips against the mic body.  It doesn't "seal" like the Rycote Softie and the Movo clones, but I have had zero problems with wind noise leaking in.  The WS8s could be squished a bit, but I prefer to keep them un-squished in a vinyl banker's bag.

Have mics this size:

Microphone Length:
30mm (1.18in); 71mm (2.8in) (incl. connector)

Microphone diameter:
19mm (0.75in)

Above:
 WS9 is made for mics that are 21mm mic diameter
 WS8 is made for mics that are 20mm mic diameter.

The mics inquiring about are 19mm diameter and 30MM long.

Would any of the above wind screen options complete seal the microphone in the back and not be too tight of a fit?

Thanks.

Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »
I just can't shake the Rycote Softies, I am going to save my pennies and never look back.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:11:05 PM by nolamule »

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2016, 12:35:56 AM »
This thread is useless without pictures, eh?.....I agree  8)

What's the abbreviation for "Mics On Top Of Soundboard..?!

Greg Humphreys Electric Trio Plus One

https://archive.org/details/GregHumphreysElectricTrioPlusOne2016-02-20.matrix.flac16

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=585585

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 12:07:07 AM »
I went with the Rycote Softies. I was surprised with their size...looking forward to the festivals this summer!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 09:20:45 PM »
I went with the Rycote Softies. I was surprised with their size...looking forward to the festivals this summer!

Nice choice! Cant EVER go wrong with a Rycote product ;) 8)

That said, Id LOVE to hear the Rycote Softies comped against the Movo WS80 SS clones that I have, side by side with the same mics>everything! Wishful thinking I guess lol :) ;D

Nolamule, if I had the $$, or was just buying for [1] pair of mics, I probably would've gone with the Rycote's too ;)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »

That said, Id LOVE to hear the Rycote Softies comped against the Movo WS80 SS clones that I have, side by side with the same mics>everything! Wishful thinking I guess lol :) ;D

The Movo is *not* a "clone" - it's a "copy" if it's anything at all.

There is a lot of science that goes into the design and manufacture of windshields - and you need to fully understand the science to make one properly.

There are so many copy products around where the copyist has not properly understood the science and makes an inferior product - though it may superficially look similar.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 07:00:43 AM »
Movos are working fine for me.  Cheap, too.

Give them a try.....let's get some more anecdotal evidence, at least.

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 09:19:21 AM »

Nice choice! Cant EVER go wrong with a Rycote product ;) 8)

Nolamule, if I had the $$, or was just buying for [1] pair of mics, I probably would've gone with the Rycote's too ;)

maybe our paths will cross this summer and we can run that mk41 movo/rycote comp!

Online Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »
After finally having a chance to listen to a bunch of outdoor recordings I made back in April and May, I have to say I'm disappointed with the Movos.  While I don't have any direct comps, I've gone years running either Shure a81ws or DPA ua0896+fur and I'm noticing far more frequent instances of wind rumble on my recordings with the Movos than I ever have using the other screens.  My guess is that the fur on the Movos isn't up to the task.  Caveat emptor.  Yes, they're cheap and look the part, but I don't think they're worth the gamble to save a few dollars.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »
Amen, cheap is cheap

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
After finally having a chance to listen to a bunch of outdoor recordings I made back in April and May, I have to say I'm disappointed with the Movos.  While I don't have any direct comps, I've gone years running either Shure a81ws or DPA ua0896+fur and I'm noticing far more frequent instances of wind rumble on my recordings with the Movos than I ever have using the other screens.  My guess is that the fur on the Movos isn't up to the task.  Caveat emptor.  Yes, they're cheap and look the part, but I don't think they're worth the gamble to save a few dollars.

Only A+ results with my Rycote Softies.

Offline caymanreview

• shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2016, 01:14:54 AM »
i ran the shure a81ws at summercamp in some of the hardest winds ive taped in. they did an amazing job! im very happy with them

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 08:22:14 AM »

Craig do you have any idea on the wind speed on the days that the Movos didn't cut it?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 01:43:44 AM »
I wish I did have the Rycotes! That said, the Movo's have worked great for me so far, and I haven't noticed any wind noise the year or so Ive been running them! Even when I was just recording birds/nature@6am one morning, I didn't notice any wind noise when there were def some decent gusts during the recording time :)

We need a COMP to hear the difference with our own ears! I realize Rycote put a lot of R&D into their design, and Rycote is an amazing company! But for $15/each, it was worth a shot for me to try the Movo's last year. I haven't been let down yet, but I also haven't taped a shitload of outdoor festies this year either :)

Id love to hear any input on the Rycote or Movo's :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 09:06:20 PM »
which "Rycote Softies" would work for a neumann active setup?  my big ass shures have literally started to fall apart!  so time for another pair or something new.  I've slimmed my rig/bag down so space is an issue as well.  the bas took a lot of room in the bag.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »
which "Rycote Softies" would work for a neumann active setup?  my big ass shures have literally started to fall apart!  so time for another pair or something new.  I've slimmed my rig/bag down so space is an issue as well.  the bas took a lot of room in the bag.

Well, there are [2] versions of the Rycote "Softie". The "Classic Softie", has the fur covering, and the newer "Super Softie", has a fur-less black nylon covering! I have the Movo WS80's, which are a copy of the Rycote "Classic Softie" which have the fur coating, but I want to upgrade to the BBG/WJ or the Movo WST80's, which are a copy of the Rycote "Super Softie", so that they don't shed, since they don't have any fur :)

Id still love to hear a Movo/Rycote comp sometime! But eventually, I do see myself owning [4] BBG's/WJ's :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:36:10 PM by F.O.Bean »

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 09:09:06 PM »
^ Knowing that there was a manufacturing issue affecting performance that Rycote encountered when they first released the Super Softie it's probably best to stay away from cheap imitations made in China!  Saving your beans for Rycote's Super Softie would be ideal, if you want Rycote buy Rycote. Their customer service is excellent and they exert extensive product development.  Yes, they are spendy in the US but you are getting well designed and developed products with excellent support.

IMHO with Movo you'll get a big question mark all the way around. It may be tempting spending money on Softie and Super Softie imitations but would be money that could've gone toward the purchase of Rycote gear. Imitators are not producing clones or exact copies, they're simply making a product that visually resembles Rycote's at a price that is too good to be true.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:34:57 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »
Movos are working fine for me.  Cheap, too.

Give them a try.....let's get some more anecdotal evidence, at least.

Another vote for the Movos. I've run the WST50 Ballistic screens (the ones without fur) a few times this summer in fairly gusty conditions and they were perfectly adequate. At least once I noticed the wind picked up enough to make the stand wobble for a few minutes and no artifacts. No appreciable attenuation of high frequencies either. On my tiny AKG CK1X active caps the depth of the opening is longer than the cap which creates another pocket of still air right at the capsule and I'm sure that helps.

If it were really gusty I would drop the stand and put a couple of Crown Royal bags over them.

If you have the coin and tape outside a lot, I would spring for the Rycotes with fur despite their manufacturing issues. They are the industry standard for professionals for a reason.

If you don't have to deal with really gusty conditions I think the Movos would do just fine at a considerable discount.

All you guys that diss the discount "imitators" have you actually asked the companies you talk trash about if they do any actual research and testing or just assume they reverse engineer another companies product? Shameless fluffing with no basis in reality is nothing new around here.

Let's face it, no one is perfect. Even the almighty Rycote did all their R&D then released a product that didn't live up to their own specifications.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline jazzgtrl4

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »
Man i thought my movos did great at Huck Finn, no wind at all really. And there were some serious gusts that would have shown up if i used my DPA's. 

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2016, 11:38:12 PM »
After my buddy jbell's told me he ran the Movo WS80's at red rocks without issue I went with a set of those. have not ran them yet though.  they do seem to shed a bit for my liking!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 11:47:49 PM »
Rycote baby ball gag

I thought you were using your own term, like we do for the 'Big Ass Shures'...but thats actually real.  Granted, my mind is always in the gutter, but I honestly can't imagine how that got to the top of development and they agreed, "yeah, that sounds like an alright name."

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2016, 11:54:14 PM »
 :lol:    >:D

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
Just a note on the Big Ass Shure windscreens...I have an older pair I got about a decade ago. I had not used in a few years, and pulled them out for an event. Well I store them in a large ziplock bag and they have deteriorated to the point of being a bag of black dust.

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Jammin72

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 02:55:51 PM »
Just a note on the Big Ass Shure windscreens...I have an older pair I got about a decade ago. I had not used in a few years, and pulled them out for an event. Well I store them in a large ziplock bag and they have deteriorated to the point of being a bag of black dust.

I just pulled mine out of a Pelican case after a couple of year Hiatus and while not disintegrated they have permanent hand prints in the foam.  Not something that used to happen when I was using them regularly.

Oh well.  I always forget how every little thing adds up in this hobby.

Yes, but what do you HEAR?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
I ran both the fury and the slick Movo screens in early June. IIRC, I had to do some remedial repair on some gusty bits.

Did you notice any significant difference between the two?  I have the "slick" version but won't get to use them until marching band season starts in September.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »
Many types of plastic foam eventually breaks down, and once the process becomes obvious it seems to accelerate. I made it through this spring using my old Shure A81WS which are on their way out, careful not to rub or squash them too much, but I'll need to replace them this fall.  I've decided to stick with the Shure's instead of moving to the Rycote's or Movo's partly because my application is rather non-standard and the foam Shure's are more adaptable and a proven known-good solution for me and I figure a decade of use before needing to replace them is reasonable. 

I'm now wondering if storing them sealed in bags with some oxygen absorbent packs in there may extend their useful life.  Not desiccant packs, but the oxygen absorbent ones, since many foams are susceptible to damage from long-term exposure to air, or even short-term exposure to ozone.

If anyone has or finds an especially attractive source for Shure A81WS please let me know as I'll need to pickup four of them.

I've considered going back to the DIY baby ball gags based around plastic mesh embroidery balls intended for embroidered Christmas ornaments, which I was playing around with a decade back and have great potential as they form an excellent transparent support structure trapping an optimal-volume still-air space, but the two problematic aspects are sourcing really well designed cover material and engineering a good pragmatic mounting arrangement.  Easier to stick with and make minor modifications to the Shures.  Would love the Rycote BBGs, but as I'd need to modify them as well, so they aren't a reasonable option for me.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
I've had success with the the various Movo clones of the rycote windscreens.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJEB604/ref=twister_B00YHY5RJY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
I've had success with the the various Movo clones of the rycote windscreens.

Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJEB604/ref=twister_B00YHY5RJY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Agreed Noah!

And about the BAS screens! I stopped running them because they would deteriorate and then super small particles were getting ALL over the place, so I definitely didn't want them touching my mics at that point! And no matter WHAT you do to them or how you store them, the BAS will fall apart and deteriorate over time. Period. And if you don't think that yours are shedding yet, just put a piece of white printing paper under the BAS and just give them gentle squeezes, and more than likely, you'll see a million TINY particles that fell out of the screen!

That's how you can tell if your BAS are still good or not! If your BAS are still good, then you WILL NOT see any particles on the white paper underneath of the screens! However, if you see a bunch of tiny particles on your white paper, I'd toss them in the garbage immediately before they can get into the grill of your capsules. I would NOT WANT those particles getting inside of my caps, that's for damn sure ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.272 seconds with 75 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com