Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Team classical recording  (Read 107018 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Team classical recording
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2010, 07:56:47 PM »
This thread has not been active for quite a while.  Thought I'd give it a bump, since the classical concert season is back.

I recently uploaded a recording I made about a year ago to the Community Audio Archive of a classical chamber orchestra.

http://www.archive.org/details/aco2009-10-30.DigiGal.vp88.flac16
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »
Thanks for the revival, it's that time of year.  Looking forward to it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2010, 09:58:30 PM »
Have you made any recordings with the Tetramic yet?
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Nothing classical and nothing recent.  I recorded two music festivals in the spring and an used it on-stage for a Charlie Hunter Trio date last spring.  The computer I had the decoding software setup on died and I need to setup another one but just haven't gotten to it yet.  Pretty cool though when I played with some simple realtime stereo decoding.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »
The Soundfield plugin is available for free now. No key required.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
I was looking at some AKG mics and found this info of "Orchestral Recording Basics" on their website, here's a link:

http://www.akg.com/site/product_tipps/powerslave,id,25,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #127 on: October 20, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »
Fall is starting to roll. Wind ensemble this week.. with a soprano (the wildcard). String quartets this weekend and next week. I usually dig wind ensembles, but I'm far more particular about sopranos (not a big fan of the trill as standard operating proceedure for every note sung).  Hey venue managers, time to oil those squeaky seat hinges!

Offline notlance

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #128 on: October 20, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
Yep, it's the crazy time.  I've already recorded a couple of choirs, orchestras, woodwind trios, string quartets, marching bands(!), audition tapes, and a world music festival in the last month.  The 3 weeks before Christmas will be busier still.

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #129 on: October 20, 2010, 06:54:23 PM »
So how does one partake of this busy time of year? 

I generally end up recording a few Tuba Christmas's and that's about it.  I'm not a social animal, which is why I think recording suits me.  As I wont be talking while recording.  Or having others coming up to say hi either.  I'm also not a local so I still need directions to most places.  Born on one coast, raised on the other, and currently living somewhere in the middle.  I'm not a church goer nor have I signed up for / taught anything academic in the past decade.  Factor in that many within arms reach of me probably haven't heard of the internet.  Or that there's an option of having someone pick up trash instead of just burning it.  But I'm still within driving distance (1 hour drive) of three fairly major cities.  And within ten miles of the nearest University.  Plus my car gets reasonable gas mileage.  If for no other reason than to discourage the rabbits and birds from taking up residence in/on my car, I need to get out more.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #130 on: October 20, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »
Universities with decent music programs are often a good opportunity.  Many cities have small organizations that arrange concerts to suppport jazz or classical music groups, some of those are church based, some are not but use churches for their venues, some are not and use whatever space they can find.  Many of those are word of mouth or email mailing list type things.  I've found some advertized in various community free newspapers as well as the culural events rags and calendars.  Alot depends on where you are. 

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #131 on: October 20, 2010, 09:11:06 PM »
Additionally, there is money to be made.  Students generally are required to record their recitals.  Oftentimes the performance program utilizes tech program students to do the recording, but there's not always enough, or any, recording students to do the actual work.  Additionally, it's typically required that the students pay for the recording work.  Soooo, opportunity.

Hang a flyer advertizing your skillz at the local college/univ that has music performance program.  I've done a bunch of opera recital recording (typically running blumlein on stage/lip at about 6'^).  I charge a $100 flat rate for record, post production, track and transfer, and provide a wav and flac disc to the student.  Generally rave reviews, of the likes of "awesome, and certainly better than the student recordist who f'd up my spring recital from last year, and $50 less, to boot!!!"  And once you get one good student, they're good at recommending you to others.  Last spring I had to turn some folks away because I'd already be booked on a particular night. 

Heard some amazing and inspiring work doing this.  Also suffered through some sheer horror.  Preponderance has been very good, though, and the money's been a nice little gear purchase funding source!!  I'd have been happy to do it for free, actually, but the students made it clear that, at least at the two programs for which I've worked in Minneapolis, they're required to pay.

Another benefit is you can cozy up to the accompanists who can (a) refer you to other students, (b) turn you on to other events of interest, and (c) blow your mind at how good they are.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
Cool gig, Dean!

Offline notlance

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2010, 12:08:22 AM »
I've gotten cozy with a couple of local groups.  One is a professional chamber music organization that performs all around the area, often in rural churches that have wonderful acoustics.  (And are often really quiet.)  Each summer they have a week long chamber music camp an I have become the camp's "recordist in residence" if there is such a thing.  We have a couple of recording sessions during the week.  I got started with this chamber music group by just showing up at a concert and asking if I could record them.  To keep them happy I try to turn around a CD the next day since they often repeat the same concert and like to modify their performance based on what they hear.

One of the local HS has a very fine music program with an outstanding Jazz vocal group and Jazz band.  I record just about every vocal, band, and orchestra concert they do, and quite frankly, they love me.  I try to get a student to help record and teach him or her a few things about recording.  I can pretty much do what I want recording wise, so I have been able to try out various techniques.

Other recording opportunities tend to be one shot deals.  Like gutbucket suggested, I scout the local arts calendar/arts magazine for concerts.  Then I try to contact the artists in advance to ask permission to record.  Explain that the recording is for personal use and that no copies will be made without the artist's permission.  Don't post recordings on the internet without permission.  If I don't hear back from the artist giving me permission to record, I just show up at the concert with my gear anyway.  I confidently start setting up my gear and I've never been told that I can not record.  Most musicians are flattered.  However, I do try to be as discreet as possible, usually using only one stereo mic.  I have the advantage of being a middle-aged white male, so people assume I have the authority to be doing what I am doing.  I don't make these rules, but that's the way it is.  Dress nicely.  Be polite.  Send a CD to the artists as soon as possible after the concert.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:11:42 AM by notlance »

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2010, 02:39:03 PM »
I've been taping (mostly rock shows) for 8 years. Strictly low profile/frequently stealth. I'm starting to feel like I've taken the low profile/stealth path to the point where I'm satisfied with my techniques and my results. My rig (DPA4060 > MMA6000 > Tascam DR-07 / DR-03) certainly could be upgraded, but since I'm satisfied with my results already... it makes more sense to me to begin to explore the open taping realm. So I have some questions about microphones.

I'm thinking that in terms of capsules, my first priority should be a pair of cardioids, and second priority should be a pair of figure 8s, then later omnis. I think cardioids will allow the greatest flexibility on their own and I'm very interested in exploring midside and Blumlein configurations. Would you experienced folks tend to agree that this makes sense?

I've also been trying to pick specific microphones. From my experience (which is limited more to amplified live music i.e. rock acts rather than orchestras) it seems Schoeps (Colette or CCM) and Neumann (KM) seem like popular choices and I've heard very nice recordings made with each. Is it safe for me to assume that these are also good choices for unamplified orchestra, choir, etc. type situations? Are there other popular / recommended microphones that I should also be looking into?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com