Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: very simple setup for stealth recording  (Read 50584 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: very simple setup for stealth recording
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
You can now order a modified H2 from India with an ambisonic mic sticking out the top of it.  The mic is called the Brama mic and is sold alone, or as a complete kit which includes the modified H2 with an Amphenol connector on top to attach the mic directly or extension cable. http://www.oomagamma.com/brahma_kit/brahma_kit.html

Along the lines of Chris Chuch's R-09 mod with his mics sticking out the top replacing the internals in some ways, but far more involved and the ambisonic mic is detachable.  I haven't heard samples.. except for some underwater! ambisonic research clips from researchers in Italy using a special hydrophone version.

Wonder if they'll make a DR2d mod?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
Interesting. But for $899 it'll be way on my back burner.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
Yeah, just threw that out there since it's interesting.  I doubt its very suitable for music recording, yet you must admit that an all-in-one ambisonic mic/recorder that fits in your hand is a pretty cool concept.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »
Interesting, yes. Did you see their comments about the tetrasonic mic like you have?
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
No, I'll have to check that out.  On the same site?

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2011, 05:46:04 PM »
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2011, 06:23:46 PM »
They're right, the windscreen & shock mount can use improvement. 

The furry I sewed up to fit over the foam screen worked pretty well for Springfest.  I was thinking of DIY'ing something like their ball screen out of a couple stainless kitchen strainers, but since the furry cover worked OK I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2011, 01:07:23 PM »
Having that air space really seems to help cut the wind noise. I was surprised who well the foam windscreens on my ADK-tl's worked and I think its because of the airspace between the cap and the wire mesh of the mic body. At Wanee my old SP C4's would have been roaring and the tl's picked up no wind noise at all that I can hear.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #128 on: May 19, 2018, 02:02:55 AM »
Lol, hi, I know this is a resurrection, but I'm posting because this thread is still easily found on google when searching for first-time/new-to-taping terms

I'd just like to add, if anyone's in the same boat as the OP, please do not be discouraged. It is absolutely possible to get a serviceable recording having zero experience and wanting to get up front. Especially if you research diligently.

I recorded this with a zoom h4n pro in my shirt pocket, front and center: https://archive.org/details/tmg2017-11-07/17_jeffDavisCountryBlues.flac

does it sound as good as what more seasoned tapers / people with better gear / people who try to get into optimal position capture? absolutely not. but it's perfectly serviceable as a personal recording, or for people who- like other posters said, are in it for the music above all else. the band in question has a hardcore following, and more tapes are always better than less.

just wanted to say that it's easier than ever to stealth tape with a simple setup if you're hoping to get a personal recording, and anyone who's interested should definitely just try it out no matter where ya plan on standing and go from there :)

(also, I'd like to thank this board for being such an excellent resource, I have some ca-14s on the way that I purchased after reading here a bunch and am excited to capture some stuff that's a step above what I've got with my h4n so far)

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2018, 01:33:00 PM »
Lol, hi, I know this is a resurrection, but I'm posting because this thread is still easily found on google when searching for first-time/new-to-taping terms

I'd just like to add, if anyone's in the same boat as the OP, please do not be discouraged. It is absolutely possible to get a serviceable recording having zero experience and wanting to get up front. Especially if you research diligently.

I recorded this with a zoom h4n pro in my shirt pocket, front and center: https://archive.org/details/tmg2017-11-07/17_jeffDavisCountryBlues.flac

does it sound as good as what more seasoned tapers / people with better gear / people who try to get into optimal position capture? absolutely not. but it's perfectly serviceable as a personal recording, or for people who- like other posters said, are in it for the music above all else. the band in question has a hardcore following, and more tapes are always better than less.

just wanted to say that it's easier than ever to stealth tape with a simple setup if you're hoping to get a personal recording, and anyone who's interested should definitely just try it out no matter where ya plan on standing and go from there :)

(also, I'd like to thank this board for being such an excellent resource, I have some ca-14s on the way that I purchased after reading here a bunch and am excited to capture some stuff that's a step above what I've got with my h4n so far)

As the "Location, Location, Location" thread notes, the most important part of any recording is (wait for it) location. Once you have that, everything else is important but secondary. (Gutbucket, what's your hierarchy of recording quality again? Location > mic quality > mic setup > something?)

That said, enjoy your CA-14 mics, which are going to be a big step up from the Zoom internals, especially in situations where you can't be front and center.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »
Um, lets see..

How about this hierarchy of importance-
Musical piece > performers > venue > recording location > how you use the recording gear > what recording gear you use

Venue includes the room, the sound reinforcement system, sound guy, and all that.  The first 3 most important things we have no control over.  Recording location is the most important of the things we do.  What gear we use is less important than how we use it.

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2018, 01:36:07 PM »
What gear we use is less important than how we use it.

'Bullshit' said every woman since Eve to other women (not within earshot of a man).

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:39:15 PM by fanofjam »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2018, 02:12:44 PM »

'Bullshit' said every woman since Eve to other women (not within earshot of a man).

That's a popular notion, but I don't buy it.  With regards to that particular sexual meme- regardless of gender, it takes little more than an honest reference to one's own experiences- ask yourself if you'd honestly prefer a deadfish interaction with a well-endowed drop-dead-gorgeous partner to an deeply interactive connection with a skilled lover of average appearance.

The best mics in the world won't pull a good recording if placed under the seat facing the ground.  I'll take decent gear used properly every time.  Of course the best answer is both, good equipment AND the skillful application of it.  These are two aspects we have some control over after all.  Reality lies somewhere between extremes, within the constraints of skill and budget, yet knowledge remains the more fundamental aspect of the two - after all it was the taste that fruit which got Eve and her lover booted from the love-shack to begin with.

If you don't know how to do it, a big mic ain't gonna figure that for you.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:14:39 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »

+1   :cheers: 

Taken to extreme examples maybe its true.  A phone recording in the venue will sound better than a high end rig outside the venue but with reasonable levels of competency and location the rig with the better gear will sound better than the rig with the subpar gear.   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:28:35 PM by daspyknows »

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #134 on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »

That's a popular notion, but I don't buy it. 

after all it was the taste that fruit which got Eve and her lover booted from the love-shack to begin with.

If you don't know how to do it, a big mic ain't gonna figure that for you.

Objective 'cultural art film' research reveals that small men in low places aren't in high demand, suggesting that women like large wangs.  Less research exists to support my theory that there's an inverse correlation between the size of a mans winkle and the amount of money he spends on his gear.  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.265 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com